Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Did "Titanic" Deserve Oscars or RAZZIES??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did "Titanic" Deserve Oscars or RAZZIES??
    Posted: November 09 2010 at 9:15am
It's very apparent that Titanic didn't only appeal to "teenage girls." You know how it made a lot of money? By appealing to almost every demographic. If it only appealed to teen girls, it would make only like $300 million like any other Twilight film but it appealed to the female population with its romance story, it appealed to the male population with its action-packed third act, and it appealed to the elderly population and people don't realize they have a significant effect at the box office. Case in point, Red is dropping ever so slightly each week, showing strong legs.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: It's also an unspoken truth in Hollywood that any movie that tops about $250 million in domestic box office derives 10% or more of its grosses from repeat customers -- people who pay to see the same film over and over again (some movie-goers will see the same film 10 times or more). Thus one cannot equate the total gross ($600 million domestic/$1.8 Billion worldwide in TITANIC's case = LINK) as reflecting the number of individual movie-goers who actually saw the film. In TITANIC's case, I suspect that as much as 15%-20% of its total take was from repeat viewings...  

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 11:07am
Yeah, teenage girls were the target audience, and of course I'm sure those girls went in groups, and had their boyfriends tag along, and families probably went, too. But we should also note the movie-going habits of 1997. This was long before Netflix, PPV rentals, the sudden boom of movie downloads online, and other reasons why people don't go to movie theaters as often these days. I doubt, with those factors added in, the movie would male the same amount of money if it were released today.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 7:32pm
I say it deserved all the OSCAR nominations it got except the Big 5 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay).

If the reviews are as good as I think they are, it's still right in the middle of the 30 best films of 1997.
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

I say it deserved all the OSCAR nominations it got except the Big 5 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Director, Screenplay).
My point exactly.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 9:46pm
That is, unless there were no others. Then I'd say it deserved only one of those.

UPDATE: I read it over. Also rule out Original Song. 10 nominations would remain.

Perhaps, when something bad is said about a movie, it's only so bad, but it sounds much worse.
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
curl View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote curl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 3:35am
In my option Titanic deserves the Oscar because of its greatest storyline and awesome acting. But  I m not sure about Razzies.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2011 at 6:00am
I remember that they released a film back in 2009 called The Storm about the North Sea Flood of 1953. I remember reading about how several people who lived through these floods atented the premiere of this film. There response was that the film was very implausible, no one in there right would have walked or swom through the water just after this disaster (what many of the main characters did), mainly because it was icecold and they knew that they would die if they did that. I believe this is also one of the fatal flaws of this film.

Am i also the only one who thinks that Titanic is superior to Avatar. Don't get me wrong i think Titanic is a mediocre film that should have never won. But Avatar shouldn't even have been nominated. It had a lot of potential with it's groundbreaking special effects and the amount of time spend creating this new world, but beyond that it just seems as if James Cameron just didn't cared about the story anymore. Half way through the movie i already knew what was going to happen in the other half of the movie (which is always a bad sign). I knew that Jake Sully was going to regain the trust of the na'vi by controlling that that giant untouchable pterodactyl-like creature. After that they just recycle the same plot as every other mediocre action/sci-fi epic released.
* A big army of bad guys confronts a small army of good guys.
* The big army seems to win.
* The good army gets unexpected help out of nowhere.
* The entire bad army is destroyed except for the main villian.
* The main villian has a final fight to the dead with the main hero.
* Eventhough it may look like he's going to lose a couple of times, the main hero pulls through and wins the fight.

One could argue that it was an entirely new vissual world and that a lot of the budget and focus was swalowed into perfecting these inoveting special effects, leaving it kind of weak in the story departmant as happened with a lot of vissually inovating films like Snow White, Toy Story and Sin City, but the difference is that these films didn't win the Golden Globe for best film, these films wern't nominated (and frontrunner) for the Best Picture-oscar. Jesus, how did Cameron get away with that.
curl View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote curl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 10:39pm
Well said and I too think that none of those movies deserve Oscars ever but still it is a fact that why Avatar was not being nominated for Razzies. Talking about late movies then one can keep saying that at that time Titanic was the only movie with great theme and storyline. 
Qiana View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Qiana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 2:08am
I think "Titanic" deserves its Oscars. Maybe, this movie isn't the extraordinary one, but I've seen a lot worse...Confused
markC View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote markC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 4:22am
Titanic was up against good movies that year. Titanic was a good movie, i don't think it deserves a razzie and maybe since it won awards in several categories more than all those other good films that year then maybe it deserved the Oscar award for Best Picture that the movie got. If it was that bad then it wouldn't become the top-grossing movie of all time before Avatar took away the throne.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2011 at 9:22am
Just like it's understandable if someone didn't like "2001",it's understandable if someone didn't like TITANIC(*****).But there's more than it's FX.The story may contain familiar elements,but does that make it a bad script all together?No.I admit there were some boring scenes,even with JACK & ROSE.But I didn't mind since I knew what was coming.Seriously,if you're against their romance it's completely fine,since after the ship hits the iceberg it becomes less and less cliche.It has one of the best film scores,pop-rock songs and endings in movie history,all of which make me cry everytime.

All of this statements(except that last sentence)can also be applied to AVATAR(****).

By the way,the other day I saw the alternative ending,which sucked.Has anyone else seen it?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
rickpanesar View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote rickpanesar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 1:06am
All I'm going to say is the Oscars are sh*t house so why worry over who they give awards to? 

End of Story.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12