Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > POLL: Iz Mel Gibson's Movie Career OVER?!?!?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of Mel Gibson's Career...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of Mel Gibson's Career...
    Posted: May 11 2011 at 2:03pm
Exactly, SchumacherH8ter! You hit the "nail" on the head with that theory (no puns intended)!  

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Actually, I think Apocalypto didn't do as well as Passion because Passion appealed to the religious right who saw it in multitudes and droves. And, it was very controversial.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 2:06pm
I don't think it's so much the specific bad behavior, but how OFTEN said celebrity behaves badly. For years, we had Lindsay Lohan in the headlines, being arrested for something. How many movies has she done since "I Know Who Killed Me"? I rest my case. 

Some people can eventually redeem themselves, others are just lost causes. The problem is that Hollywood is too forgiving -- so long as said celebrity's movies still make them money. But once the money stops rolling in, the studios will never forgive that celebrity. 

Originally posted by theonened

If poor public behavior were a criteria for the end of a Hollywood career, there would only be a handful of people left in the film industry.  The number of people who have not behaved badly at some time in their careers (or frequently) is extremely small compared to who that are constantly in the news.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 10:51am
The hard point to gauge with regard to The Beaver is that it hasn't hit wide release yet, so we don't really know how it is going to perform. HOWEVER, assuming for a moment that it ends up being a flop, it is pretty hard to gauge whether people avoided seeing it because of Gibson, or whether the plot-line is just not appealing to very many people. 

It also has to be noted that the studio behind it hasn't exactly been promoting it heavily.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Maybe you watch different channels on TV than I do, but I've seen multiple TV spots for this film over the last 10 days or so, mostly on Comedy Central and THE DAILY SHOW...  

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 11:11am
Saturnwatcher, will this hit "wide release"? I mean, a limited release movie has to perform really well to expand to a wider number of theaters. I just don't see this happening...
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2011 at 3:45pm
Having a grown man talk to people through a beaver puppet does sound like something they would do during a Daily Show skit.  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Maybe you watch different channels on TV than I do, but I've seen multiple TV spots for this film over the last 10 days or so, mostly on Comedy Central and THE DAILY SHOW...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2011 at 7:32am
The information that I have is that The Beaver is still scheduled to go into wider release some time in the next few weeks.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Brent00 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brent00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:48pm
"Is Mel Gibson's career over?"

I think you hit that one on the head. What determines a person's viability is SALEABILITY at the box office. And sometimes, time (meaning time out of the limelight). 

Originally posted by Michaels

Some people can eventually redeem themselves, others are just lost causes. The problem is that Hollywood is too forgiving -- so long as said celebrity's movies still make them money. But once the money stops rolling in, the studios will never forgive that celebrity. 

tgws View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote tgws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:45am
Mel Gibson is a fine actor who, like all of us have, has embarrassed himself.  An element of the media loves nothing more than to trash celebrities at every opportunity, and grossly exaggerate their "sins." They are gleefully malicious creatures, especially if their target is conservative leaning or Christian.  

I suspect Mel's former girlfriend was in it for the attention & money, and manipulated the whole situation.  You never heard of him behaving this way when he was married to Robin or dating others.  
Yes, I think he is still talented, and will still have successes in the film industry, or wherever he decides to go.  

Besides, I've found most film critics to be full of sh*t.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by tgws

Mel Gibson is a fine actor who, like all of us have, has embarrassed himself.  An element of the media loves nothing more than to trash celebrities at every opportunity, and grossly exaggerate their "sins." They are gleefully malicious creatures, especially if their target is conservative leaning or Christian.  

I suspect Mel's former girlfriend was in it for the attention & money, and manipulated the whole situation.  You never heard of him behaving this way when he was married to Robin or dating others.  
Yes, I think he is still talented, and will still have successes in the film industry, or wherever he decides to go.  

Besides, I've found most film critics to be full of sh*t.
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying into any of that. There's just too many holes to be poked through that theory.

1. Did a movie studio make Gibson drink until he was over the legal limit and then make him drive recklessly in his car and then make racist comments when pulled over by the police? No, that's all Mel right there.

2. I doubt Gibson's former girlfriend was paid by a movie studio to piss him off to the point he threaten her life MORE THAN ONCE for her to record, all while he was making racist comments about every ethnic group he could think of.

3. If the movie studios really have it out for Christian celebrities, then why is it Kirk Cameron has never been caught driving drunk or making threatening and ractist remarks to his wife? He's been making nothing but preachy Christian movies for the past two decades, yet he manages to keep a good public image.

Yes, I agree that Gibson has great talent and that our media loves to kick celebrities when they are down, but Gibson is by no means a saint. If Mel wants to blame someone for the way his career has gone, all he has to do is look into a mirror.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 9:15pm

To Michaels: So you saw through that either spambot's or troll's accusations better than I did. I might add on to your rebuttals: If anyone were out to get celebrities of conservative Christianity or otherwise the Religious Reich, they would've torn Alex Kendrick apart. Instead, only we know his name. We added a forum for Fireproof as the worst new movie of 9-26-2008, and I expect Courageous to be one of 2 worst new movies for 9-23-2011.

Bear88881 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bear88881 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:24pm
I'm surprised that anyone could  still be interested in Mel at all. It's Jodie Foster we need to worry about. What was she thinking? Does she need some kind of intervention?
thomascarter View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomascarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:19am
People don't avoid seeing a movie because it stars a controversial person, unless it's a bad movie(that's why Lindsay Lohan's movies have flopped since '07, not because of her arrests, which is why she keeps getting fired)... well said Thumbs Up
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:26pm
Thanks.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 2:27pm
Oh, I beg to differ! Do you seriously think that if a big name star were to be arrested on rape or murder charges and be sentenced to life in prison, that the studios would still put his/her last movie out and audiences would rush to the thearters to see it? No, my friend, that movie wouldn't see the light of day ever again. OJ Simpson had a few movies that were in post-production just before he was arrested, and they are probably still locked up in a vault somewhere, collecting dust. The American public is only so forgiving.  

Originally posted by thomascarter

People don't avoid seeing a movie because it stars a controversial person, unless it's a bad movie(that's why Lindsay Lohan's movies have flopped since '07, not because of her arrests, which is why she keeps getting fired)... well said
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 4:29pm
This movie continued to perform sluggishly at the box-office. It opened in 68 more theaters this weekend, including 1 here in Denver, but the per screen average was only $1120. Assuming the conservative estimate of 2 showings per screen daily, that means only about 50 people are attending each time it is shown. I suspect that a lot of people are still having trouble finding any place to see it, but even in reasonably large sized markets like Denver, the response appears to be underwhelming.

Just as a point of comparison, Pirates of the Caribbean made more money the first 9 times it was shown on any 1 screen in any 1 theater than Beaver has made in all the theaters it has played in put together over the course of 3 weeks. 
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 5:29pm
I'll keep it short and sweet: Gibson's career is as dead as VHS and cassette tapes. Let's face it, people, even though every movie from the 1980s is being remade these days, it ain't the 1980s, and slowly but surely, every star from that era is going to fade away. Gibson just f***ed up too many times and made his star burn out faster than other's because of it.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>