Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > POLLS & DISCUSSIONS on 2011 RAZZIE® CHOICES...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of Worst DIRECTOR Choices for 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of Worst DIRECTOR Choices for 2011
    Posted: November 29 2011 at 11:23am
HERE's the LINK to VOTE in OUR POLL of WORST DIRECTOR CHOICES for 2011... 

AND BELOW IS the PLACE to EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS -- WHO SHOULD "WIN," WHO LIKELY WILL "WIN" -- and WHETHER WE EVEN INCLUDED YOUR CHOICE of WHO SHOULD "WIN" in OUR POLL...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 11:44am

I voted for my current front-runner, The Human Centipede II: Full Sequence, for Tom 6.

You missed Season of the Witch for Dominic Sena and HOP for Tim Hill, however.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: There are 15 names listed in the poll, and I have learned from 31 years' experience that having more than that merely dilutes the results. I would argue that SEASON OF THE WITCH (Forum LINK) was so long ago that, other than as one of several titles for which Nicolas Cage will probably be listed as Worst Actor, WITCH is unlikely to get much attention come nominations time. Also, I tried not to have too many choices from the same genre among those listed, and decided that, as one of the year's biggest money-makers (LINK) and one of the year's worst-reviewed films (LINK) SMURFS (Forum LINK)  was the most egregious Kiddy-Pandering title of 2011, slightly out-distancing HOP (Forum LINK)  and the up-coming CHIP-WRECKED: ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS #3... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 12:32pm
My picks: Jonathan Liebesman for BATTLE:L.A.; Marcus Nispel for 
CONAN THE BARBARIAN; Mitch Glazer for PASSION PLAY
Scott Charles Stewart for PRIEST; Catherine Hardwicke for RED RIDING HOOD; Mikael Hafstrom for THE RITE; Alister Grierson for SANCTUM; Dominic Sena for SEASON OF THE WITCH; 
Raja Gosnell for THE SMURFS.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 2:17pm
It's pretty obvious who I voted for.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Leo View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2011 at 2:42pm
Will the poll for next week be one of the Supporting Acting categories?  
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 3:36am
Where's Zack Snyder for Sucker Punch? Where's Robert Rodriguez for Spy Kids 4? Where's Tyler Perry for Madea "Whatever"? Where's Paul W.S. Anderson for Three Musketeers? Come on! Paul has been avoiding the Worst Director Razzie for WAY too long! 

Are you really still going on about Sarah Palin, because I don't want Adam Sandler to lose Worst Actress. He can't lose! If you saw Jack & Jill, you'll know that was the worst female EVER, not Sarah. Seeing as you also have Jason Winer for Arthur (not really a much needed nomination in my opinion.), 

I assume Sophia Vegera will be up as Worst Supporting Actress for New Year's Eve and Smurfs, because I believe I saw somewhere that you did not like Modern Family (Which Sophia stars in, and Jason Winer has directed a number of episodes of.)

PS: For Worst Director in the poll, I voted for Bay.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 6:03am
Oiran, keep in mind that, just like in every award show, there's always someone who thinks someone or something was left out. Also, most critics agreed that Zack Snyder's directing was good.
Leo View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 7:42am
My guesses for 5 final Worst Director choices: 

Michael Bay - Transformers: Dark of the Moon 
Bill Condon - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 
Dennis Dugan - Jack & Jill and Just Go With It 
Raja Gosnell - The Smurfs 
Joel Schumacher - Trespass  
The Larch View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Larch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 12:48pm
MOST "critics"? REALLY??? Who on earth could've thought the direction of that mess known as Sucker Punch (at least the title was apt) was acceptable, much less good? Assuming they hadn't injested something strong (and/or possibly illegal) beforehand...  

Originally posted by Vits

most critics agreed that Zack Snyder's directing was good.

FYC: WORST Acting Performances of 2014 include: Johnny Depp (X2), Kevin Costner (X2), Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Seth MacFartlane, Paul Giamatti, Rob Reiner, Dan Aykroyd (X2), and YES Shaliane Wooden!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 2:36pm
Well, they said that his directing of the visuals were good. But the directing of actors not so much. Keep in mind most of the criticism went to the script.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 4:53pm

Unlike front-of-camera cast members, RAZZIE pedigree directors rarely make more than 1 bad movie a year. Especially with 2011. One complaint I have, though, is that the Worst Picture finalists roster (winner + runner-up) is often exactly the same as Worst Screenplay's. Usually, there's one film switched out in the Director category compared to the other two. This often makes it so that if one film wins the most RAZZIES, it does so too easily. An exception is 2008 when The Love Guru won Worst Picture and Uwe Boll won Worst Director, but then again, the RAZZIES were spread horizontally that year (as opposed to 2007, where a vertical stack of RAZZIES went to I Know Who Killed Me), and such exceptions don't happen often enough. And the fact that Breaking Dawn Part I got 5 votes before Trespass for Joel Schumacher is a travesty. Please, we CAN'T afford to feed Antilsu his wet dream of a Twilight movie getting the most RAZZIES! With Atlas Shrugged Part I for Paul Johans*n, I think that film should be saved for Worst Screenplay. And Arthur [remake] for Jason Winer I don't understand.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 5:06pm
1)Most awards give Best Picture, Director and Screenplay to the same movie, and there's a reason. 

2)Not nominating BREAKING DAWN just to piss Miguel off would be as bad as his wanting it to "win" because of his reasons. If the film wins or loses it should be because of its quality. As for this category, most people seem to look down on Bill Condon for going from Oscar-winning movies to the latest TWILIGHT movie. Yet, I've barely heard or read about how good or bad his directing was in the movie.

3)I agree with you about ARTHUR because it was quickly forgotten.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Jason Winer is listed for ARTHUR for several reasons, among them the fact that he was remaking an arguable comedy classic with what looked like an ideal cast (Russell Brand in the title role seemed ideal casting, and Helen Mirren in the Oscar-winning John Gielgud role looked like an interesting twist) -- yet he utterly failed to wring any laughs (nor any discernible human emotions) from the project. I would argue that this represents failure (and a wasted opportunity) on almost every level. Winer may not make the final five, but certainly deserves his listing in our poll...

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 8:15pm
Oh so hard to make up my mind between Dennis Dugan for JERKOFF AND SHRILL and Paul Johannsson for ATLAS SHAGGED, but PLEASE--NO TOM SICKS--it will only encourage him!
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
The Larch View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote The Larch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 11:06am
Dont forget about/rule out W.E.- directed by someone named MadonnaDead (you MAY have heard of herWink)...
FYC: WORST Acting Performances of 2014 include: Johnny Depp (X2), Kevin Costner (X2), Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Seth MacFartlane, Paul Giamatti, Rob Reiner, Dan Aykroyd (X2), and YES Shaliane Wooden!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 11:59am
To Vits: Let me guess at the reason most award ceremonies give Best Picture to the same film as Best Director and Best Screenplay: Is it because the direction and writing are the most reliable indicators that a film will be of high quality anyway?

To The Larch: Didn't you hear me? As I told Vheid, Madonna's W. E. won't go into wide release in America until February 2012! Even if it were to be considered as a 2011 limited release (on Dcb. 9), it would need a LOT more negative reviews to beat Adam Sandler's 4 films AND The Smurfs 3D!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2011 at 12:58pm
Pretty much I agree with you. And the Razzies are no different. Of course, there are exceptions (usually when there's another director who's more famous, or one that's long overdue). 

Just to clarify, does something about that bother you?    

Originally posted by GTAHater767

To Vits: Let me guess at the reason most award ceremonies give Best Picture to the same film as Best Director and Best Screenplay: Is it because the direction and writing are the most reliable indicators that a film will be of high quality anyway?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>