Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > SEASON OF THE WITCH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION: WITCH Way Is Up for Cage?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION: WITCH Way Is Up for Cage?!?!?
    Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:56am
LIKE the VILLAGERS GATHERING in  the TOWN SQUARE in an OLD HORROR MOVIE, HERE's WHERE to LIGHT YER TORCHES and SET SEASON of the WITCH AFIRE... 

ENJOY, and...BURN, BABY, BURN!!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:05am
You would think that after "Wicker Man" and "Scorcerer's Apprentice", Cage would stay the hell away from anything to do with witchcraft or magic. But hey, when you need all the money you can get because you're in debt for millions of dollars, you can't be picky about what you star in.

PS: Thanks for pointing out that January is the worst month of the year for movies, because a certain someone here is in denial about that, much like he is about everything else about how Hollywood works.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:20am
I find it a great dishonor to share my given name with the director of this film, and I haven't forgotten when he released the #18 Worst Film of 2009, Whiteout. First, a murder in Antarctica, now it's yet another Nicolas Cage puritan vs. pagan flick! If Nic Cage starts yelling, "Change! Spare some change?!" soon, then I wouldn't feel sorry for him; I'd pity him in the worst way possible for repeating the rest of America's mistake of spending beyond their means.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 1:48pm
OK, here's what I'm going to do. Each time a Razzie considered movie comes up, I'm going to add on to my list of possible contenders. Eventually, I'll make the choices of the top five.

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch
Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage
Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee
Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy
Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy
Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena
Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (Written by Bragi F. Schut)  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: On a similar note -- We have started compiling our Complete List of 2011 Eligible Releases. Here's the LINK...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:25pm
I can name the last time Nicolas Cage got decent reviews: It was for Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans.  The only reason I knew that was because I was watching for that movie to be a bad one because (1) it starred Nicolas Cage and (2) it was a sequel to a movie made umpteen years before.  However, when it came out, it turned out to be an okay movie, and Cage got good reviews.  

I'm not sure that Cage got good reviews for Kick-Ass or not, but I do know Kick-Ass got some good reviews for the movie itself. 

But that was the LAST and ONLY time Cage has had decent reviews in years (since World Trade Center).   Before that, you have to go all the way back to 2003 and Matchstick Men for good reviews on Cage.      

Also, none of those four movies broke $100 million at the box office.

The last time he had BOTH good reviews AND brought in $100 million at the box office was Face/Off in 1997.  I may be out of step with critics and fans alike, but I felt Face/Off was only okay, relying far more on gimmick and action than screenplay and acting.  It used the gimmick very well, but it's still a gimmick.  I'll concede some of Travolta's and Cage's acting was good if not great, switching roles back and forth, but I never felt it transcended like I've seen both actors perform in their past movies.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:48pm
Well, at least he was in four good movies within the last decade. Sadly, the studios that released them never bothered to market or support them more than they did.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 10:19pm
January being the worst month for movies is a trend, not a tradition or law.  I'm not in denial of either of those things, I take offense to how you word it and find your stretching the truth hard to believe.  Call me out again and it'll be red.

Also, I don't see how this looks similar to Dungeon Siege.  

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 12:17am
Oddly enough the guys who did dubs of the trailers for 'Prince of Persia' and 'Clash of the Titans' also did a dub of the trailer for this film (Burn will know exactly what I'm talking about).
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 4:04am
Don't forget Adaptation. , the best thing Cage has done this decade.  

Then again, I would reconsider films like World Trade CenterMatchstick Men and Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans. They're NOT that good, IMHO.

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 4:21am
I have to say that I really enjoyed the first review on Rotten Tomatoes:  

But even within this schlocky genre, the plot is so preposterous that it boggles the mind. Nothing that happens makes any sense, even if you suspend the need for internal logic. Only one copy of this insanely long incantation? An all-powerful witch who can't do whatever she wants? At least we have a constant underscore to tell us whether the scene is meant to be scary or dramatic, because otherwise we might think it was a comedy spoof.

It sure looks promising. 

Anyway I was just wondering what was the last succesfull blockbuster set in medieval times, because I can't remember even one of those films! 
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 8:20am
I knew when I stopped at the 2003 Matchstick Men, someone would come along and bring up the 2002 Adaptation!  

I'm not commenting on whether these films are good or not, I'm just pointing to films where Cage did get good reviews.  I know, you'd think it would be one and the same. . .   

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 8:42am
Early reviews are scathing, but I'll wait to hear one of the Top Critics' reviews before I throw any punches.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 9:04am
Nicolas Cage's decision to star in 'The Wicker Man' isn't the only bad post-Oscar career move that's noteworthy.  Here are some other bad post-Oscar career moves (they are also nominees for one of my upcoming Top 5 lists): 

Roberto Benigni - won Oscar for 'Life is Beautiful', later appeared in 'Pinocchio'
Halle Berry - won Oscar for 'Monster's Ball', later appeared in 'Catwoman' and disowned it
Cuba Gooding Jr - won Oscar for 'Jerry Maguire', later appeared in 'Daddy Day Camp' among other clunkers
Ray Milland - won Oscar for 'The Lost Weekend', later appeared in 'The Thing with Two Heads'
Robin Williams - won Oscar for 'Good Will Hunting', later appeared in 'RV' and 'License to Wed' among other clunkers
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:04pm
Okay, Miguel, if "January being the worst month for movies is a trend, not a tradition or law," then it's a trend that happens EVERY ... SINGLE ... YEAR. 

Happy?  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:05pm
Yeah, looks like they don't care for "high fantasy/action" movies.  

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

Oddly enough the guys who did dubs of the trailers for 'Prince of Persia' and 'Clash of the Titans' also did a dub of the trailer for this film (Burn will know exactly what I'm talking about).
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 2:06pm
I know we have spammers here that bitch and moan about a movie or cast member that they like getting razzed -- but the Oscars have ruined more careers than we have!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>