Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > POLL: Iz Mel Gibson's Movie Career OVER?!?!?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of Mel Gibson's Career...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of Mel Gibson's Career...
    Posted: May 10 2011 at 8:47am
IS "OL' MOTORMOUTH MEL" TOAST -- OR MIGHT HE ONCE AGAIN BE the TOAST of TINSEL-TOWN?!?  

POST YER THOUGHTS BELOW... 

AND IF YOU HAVEN'T YET VOTED in OUR FORUM POLL on MEL, HERE's the LINK to DO SO...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
sallyliao View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sallyliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 9:16am
This seems so unfair to me -- Sure, Gibson's been a jerk in his private life, but what does that have to do with his acting?  

I hope this poll doesn't mean that Mel might wind up a Razzie nominee for worst actor. If you look on the various review sites, you'll see that he's actually getting pretty good reviews for "The Beaver"!
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 9:19am
Given how many indefensible things Gibson has done and said in the last few years, I don't think he'll ever work again (nor do I think he should). At this point, even another Lethal Weapon movie (or a sequel to Passion of the Christ) won't help him. He's shot his own career in the foot, and deserves what's coming to him. It's called KARMA!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 11:47am
I'm the second to press 3 for "MAYBE". I know most of his movies, especially Braveheart (1995) were box office hits, and some of them blockbusters, but I can see why his Bo Rai Cho-esque antics could make him a goat of the industry. I still remember Episode 804, The Passion of the Jew. He was cuckoo!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 12:27pm
I think THE BEAVER is a b.o. bomb mainly because it had limited release.And for a limited release it made decent money.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Actually, if it has any box office potential at all, a "limited release" ought to have a higher per-screen gross than a wide release does. For comparison, THE BEAVER (playing on 22 screens) averaged an embarrassing $4,890 per theatre (LINK) while THOR (playing on 3,955 screens) averaged about 4 times as much: $16,618 per theatre (LINK). 

You also seem to be overlooking the possibility that Summit, the film's releasing company, couldn't find more than 22 theatres willing to book BEAVER. By any measure, this film is a bomb, and has certainly put a dent in Gibson's career...  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 1:44pm
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: When a celebrity's public image is ruined, so is his or her career (Lindsay Lohan ring any bells?). If people don't like you as a person, why would they pay to support your career -- and if people won't pay to support your projects, why would anyone in the industry hire you? 

Gibson has had a storied career, from the "Mad Max" movies, to the "Lethal Weapon" movies, to "Braveheart"; now is as good a time as any for him to leave show business. If "Beaver" is his last movie, it's his own fault, because of his reckless behavior. I'm sure he has more than enough money to support himself in retirement.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 1:44pm
I agree that it's way too early to call The Beaver a box office bomb, since it was only released on 22 screens. But I do think it will be an uphill battle to make it's $21 million back... 

I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2011 at 2:11pm

I really can't find any sympathy for this man (I just can't). I do however think IF The Beaver really is a good movie, it will eventually find it's audience. Maybe not now but 10 or 20 years from now when Mel Gibson is long forgotten.

Vits, The movie is expected to make a certain amount of money if they want it to expand to more screens. They didn't make that amount of money, so it will likely not be screened in more theaters, and will therefor will not earn it's money back. So it flopped...Simple as that.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 4:44am
I try to ignore an actor or director's personal life when watching a movie. The only time I don't ignore it is if the work is a metaphor (i.e. Stephen King and The Shining) or, more often, if it tries to pass them off as "okay" (i.e. Victor Salva and Powder). 

I think that Mel can bounce back. His previous film Edge Of Darkness wasn't a bad movie.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 7:41am
To offer some perspective on Mel's career, here is a LINK to the page on B.O. MoJo listing most of his films and their eventual grosses. While EDGE OF DARKNESS didn't totally a bomb, it did fail to reach the lofty heights of most earlier Gibson projects -- its worldwide take was only $1 million more than it cost to produce (meaning, when you factor in prints and marketing, that it was not profitable). So Mel's career does appear to be on a downward trajectory...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 8:09am
I can't really agree with referring to The Beaver's $4890 per screen average as "embarrassing." Yes, it rather pails in comparison to Thor which has a different audience and broader appeal, but the per screen average was higher than all but 2 or 3 other films in the top ten. We also have no immediate information on the theaters where this was released, and whether or not the demographics were potentially favorable.  The measure of how this film will do can only be determined when it hits wide release, which it probably will at some point. It is way too early to call it a box-office bomb. However, if it does legitimately earn that title, I think a long look will be taken at Gibson's box-office appeal from here on.

Permit me to note at this juncture how wildly uncomfortable I am offering anything that sounds like I am coming to defense of Mel Gibson...I am just trying to judge the question fairly.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 8:23am
I think that if Mel ever has another non-bomb ('cuz he probably ain't having another hit) it would be a movie he only directs, and doesn't star in. APOCALYPTO was released a few months after Mel's DUI incident, and it grossed 3 times it's budget.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Here's a B.O. MoJo LINK to substantiate the claims above -- with the proviso that APOCALYPTO may have done well because it was Gibson's first directorial effort after his astoundingly successful PASSION OF THE CHRIST -- yet APOCALYPTO, despite getting better reviews, only grossed about 20% of what CHRIST did, so there arguably was some impact from the DUI incident... 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 8:43am
I think the movie-going public has a tremendously short memory when it comes to bad behavior on the part of celebrities, mostly because there is so much of bad behavior that specifics fade away quickly. 

I don't think Gibson's recent movies have performed badly at the box-office because most people are turned off by him, I just think they were, by and large, not very good movies...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As was mentioned on the page featuring our Mel Gibson POLL, BEAVER is getting "decent" reviews (it's clinging to a "Fresh" rating at R.T. with a current 63% favorable - LINK). And while that number doesn't suggest it's a classic, it is about what APOCALYPTO got, and higher than what CHRIST received. So a case can be made that it may be Mel's behavior that's affecting his grosses... 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 9:42am

Actually, I think Apocalypto didn't do as well as Passion because Passion appealed to the religious right who saw it in multitudes and droves. And, it was very controversial.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
theonened View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote theonened Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 10:38am
If poor public behavior were a criteria for the end of a Hollywood career, there would only be a handful of people left in the film industry.  The number of people who have not behaved badly at some time in their careers (or frequently) is extremely small compared to who that are constantly in the news.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2011 at 11:39am
APOCALYPTO wasn't a hit compared to THE PASSION, but it was still a hit. Keep in mind that although many people aren't willing to see a movie in a foreign language, they are if it's about something appealing -- in this case Jesus. Considering the type of movie APOCALYPTO was, it should've been a flop, as THE BEAVER will likely be.  

People don't avoid seeing a movie because it stars a controversial person, unless it's a bad movie(that's why Lindsay Lohan's movies have flopped since '07, not because of her arrests, which is why she keeps getting fired). They avoid it when a famous person has a lot of controversies to the point where they seem to be a bad person. People still went to see Gibson's movies because he only had one controversy, and people believed him when he apologized the first time. But at this point, people don't seem to believe he'll ever change. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>