Forum Home Forum Home > RAZZIE® Basics > Essential RAZZIE® Info
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion of New "Improved" 2012 RAZZIES Sked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussion of New "Improved" 2012 RAZZIES Sked
    Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:32pm
HERE's WHERE to POST YER COMPLIMENTS, CAT-CALLS, and/or GRIPES REGARDING the NEW "IMPROVED" RAZZIE® SCHEDULE for 2012. 

IN CASE YOU ARE UNAWARE of WHAT IS BEING REFERRED TO, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT OUR PRESS RELEASE ANNOUNCING the REVISED SCHEDULE...
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:34pm
GTAHater767 posted this complaint elsewhere on our Forum:

[QUOTE/]YOU DELAYED THEM?! But you didn't wait until April Fool's Day 2007 to hold the Worst of 2006RAZZIES, so will you please revert the schedule? If not, I hope you're satisfied, HeadRAZZ, because this announcement ruined my weekendI had my whole weekend planned around the nominations, and you just ripped them away, and I can't ignore such a thing. Plus you need to redeem yourself after the NUMEROUS mistakes that were made with the Worst of 2010 RAZZIES! [/QUOTE]  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Sorry to have "ruined your weekend," GTAHater767, but the revised RAZZIE® sked was not designed to piss anyone off -- Rather, it was a carefully considered and calculated decision made only after much forethought and debate. Among the positives to trying this schedule for 2012 are: 

1) Announcing our "winners" on April Fools' Day, instead of on Oscar weekend, takes us "out of competition" with all the other ceremonies, charity events and high-end parties that occur in that insanely bizzy 48 hour period. And, April 1 falls on a weekend only once or twice a decade -- This year, it's on a Sunday.

2) Pushing back our "winners" announcements also removes one of the most common "alibis" used by "winners" for not showing up -- They were already committed to other Oscar weekend events. 

3) We've been "shopping" our show for some time now, and the most common complaint about us in the industry is that we're seen by our "winners" (and nominees) as merely being "mean," rather than funny. What better date exists to announce our "winners" -- and underscore our comedic intent -- than April Fools' Day??  

4) By extending the Nominating Ballot deadline, we are opening up the nominating process to both potential new members and existent members who didn't get their ballots in "on time" (the new nominations deadline is 11:59pm/PST on Thursday, February 16) thus expanding the pool of opinions being expressed by our awards. 

5) We have noticed in recent years that public interest (as measured in traffic to our site) is greater for our nominations announcement than is interest in the unveiling of the eventual "winners." Since Member Dues and ad revenue from this site are the two main engines funding our berry existence, we thought it made perfect sense to retain the "symbiosis" with the Academy Awards by shifting our NOMINATIONS to Oscar weekend, and pushing back the "winners" announcement to the logical date of April Fools' Day. 

Most of this is covered in our January 22nd Press Release, which you can read for yourself with this LINK...  

Seriously, we didn't have "ruining" anyone's weekend in mind when we came up with this...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 8:33am
Just a couple of concerns that I would offer: 

1. The April Fool's Day date to announce the "winners", while amusingly appropriate, is awfully late for any real relevance. The Oscars have been over for more than a month, March madness is either over or wrapping up, people are already starting to look ahead to the summer blockbusters and we come along with sort of a "remember last year?" announcement. 

2. What about next year? April 1 won't fall on a Sunday and some decision will have to be made. Do you stick with the April 1 date regardless of the day of the week upon which it falls, which could impact attendance at the actual ceremony, or is some other date of convienence earmarked which makes the whole thing a bit ad hoc. Going forward, how is anyone to know exactly when they should start looking for the Razzie announcement? 

Incidentally, just thought I'd toss out a rules change in the Oscars this year that I am not sure a lot of people are aware of. There may not necessarily be 10 films nominated in the Best Picture category. The actual number of nominees (which will be presented tomorrow morning as I write) will depend upon how many first place votes a particular film gets. So anywhere from 5-10 films could be nominated this year. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: All of the concerns you expressed above will be factored into the decision of whether or not we stick with the April Fools' date next year. As I said in the interview I gave to Gold Derby (LINK) this year's schedule is an "experiment." We are taking advantage of April Fools' being on a Sunday to see if we get a better response/participation with this timetable. If it's appreciably better, we may stay with it. If it produces no discernible uptick, we may go back to our "old schedule" for 2013. 

Nothing is "written in stone" here... 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 8:51am
Exactly. Even though more and more awards are being created, the Oscars are always the last ones because they take place on the last weekend of Winter. It's more about how it feels. I mean, the Summer award shows will contain nominees from the past Winter and Spring, and it will feel like the nominees are from the same year.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 9:30am
Well, this is an unexpected turn of events.  Since this is basically a practical and humorous version of other awards, it would be fitting to have this show on April Fools' Day (if it falls on a weekend).  The bad news is that we have to wait longer for the nominees.  The good news is that this date is actually closer to an award show that's a bigger joke than the Oscars (the Moronic Television Movie Awards).  It's possible that the results of our awards could affect the results of those awards (but I highly doubt it because the voters almost never seem to take the hint).  The other good news is that it gives members more time to look at Razzie prospects they might have missed over the past year.  As for the Methane Movie Awards, I'm sticking to my original plan (announcing the winners on February 24).  I will post the link for them later this week.
billingsley View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote billingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 2:00pm
I was actually excited to find out razzie nods this morning. Because if the sked hadn't changed, they would have been released today. Monday Jan 23.

I also think it's a bad idea because by the time April 1 rolls around, awards season has been over for 4-5 weeks. Nobody watches the pro bowl because the superbowl is the culmination of football season. Once its over, it's over. People aren't concerned with it until next year. Oscar night is the culmination of awards season. Will people still care who wins Worst Actor a month after Oscars are handed out?
Worst Picture, Director & Script: Twilight
Actor: Nick Cage
Actress: K Stew
S. Actor: Ken Jeong
S. Actress: David Spade
Couple: Sandler and Sandler
Sequel: Hangover II
Ensemble: New Year's Eve cast
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 4:45pm
The only complaint I have is that it wasn't announced sooner. That way, Bucky Larson would've gotten the votes from me it so deserved.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 10:21pm
I would say that you are offering a reasonable approach. It is probably worthy of note that the Oscar ceremony used to be held at the end of March. The caution on that note is that they moved it up precisely because it had seemingly become more or less of an afterthought do to the late date. However, if the April 1 date could successfully set the Razzies apart it would be worth continuing. There is one other possibility, although I acknowledge that it would probably rush everything far too much: How appropriate would it be to annually send Hollywood our own little Valentine?  Wink LOL

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: All of the concerns you expressed above will be factored into the decision of whether or not we stick with the April Fools' date next year. As I said in the interview I gave to Gold Derby (LINK) this year's schedule is an "experiment." We are taking advantage of April Fools' being on a Sunday to see if we get a better response/participation with this timetable. If it's appreciably better, we may stay with it. If it produces no discernible uptick, we may go back to our "old schedule" for 2013. 

Nothing is "written in stone" here... 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2012 at 10:27pm
The NFL moved the Pro Bowl to the off week between the end of the conference championships and the Super Bowl last year and they will play it in the off week again this year. But nobody watches it anyway...it wouldn't matter WHEN they played it. It's a joke.  

Originally posted by billingsley

I was actually excited to find out razzie nods this morning. Because if the sked hadn't changed, they would have been released today. Monday Jan 23.

I also think it's a bad idea because by the time April 1 rolls around, awards season has been over for 4-5 weeks. Nobody watches the pro bowl because the superbowl is the culmination of football season. Once its over, it's over. People aren't concerned with it until next year. Oscar night is the culmination of awards season. Will people still care who wins Worst Actor a month after Oscars are handed out?
billingsley View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote billingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 8:13pm
I guess I have to wait another 4 weeks to find out who's up for Worst Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role of 2011. The nods had better be "extra RAZZ-tastic" this year! 

Worst Picture, Director & Script: Twilight
Actor: Nick Cage
Actress: K Stew
S. Actor: Ken Jeong
S. Actress: David Spade
Couple: Sandler and Sandler
Sequel: Hangover II
Ensemble: New Year's Eve cast
 Post Reply Post Reply