Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on THREE MUSKETEERS (2011)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Discussion of THREE MOUSIES IN TEARS...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discussion of THREE MOUSIES IN TEARS...
    Posted: October 22 2011 at 1:43pm
Nobody? You don't think Alexander Dumas is a great writer? Have you no respect? This may not be a good adaption, but to say "nobody" wants another Three Musketeers (That's Musketeers, not mouskateers) is down-right ignorant, and disrespectful.  

This film may be not do very well at the U.S. Box office, but around the world it's done well so far. Is American the only country that's important in your eyes or something?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For the curious, here's a LINK to the B.O. MoJo page for the current remake of THREE MUSKETEERS, showing it has done better -- though arguably not "well" -- in its foreign release. Given that its cast and over-blown special effects suggest it must have cost $80 million or more, I still don't think it can be considered a "success" by any measure...   

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 2:38pm
Actually, I read that it's production budget was supposedly $75 million!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Keep in mind that releasing any film also includes, in addition to the actual production budget, the costs of prints and promotion, which in the case of THREE MUSKETEERS could reasonably be estimated to be around $25 million (or more). Thus, even accepting whatsthepoint's figure of a $75 million budget, means the total outlay for this film is in the neighborhood of $100 million -- meaning my point that it could not, at this point, be adjudged to have been "successful" is still a valid one.  

P.S. My claim about this film's budget was merely an informed assumption -- But here's a LINK to a website called MovieInsider, claiming MUSKETEERS did indeed cost what I had estimated above: $80 million.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 8:40pm
It says 80 million, and not 81 or higher (keep in mind that's only estimated). Some websites have it figured at 75 million. So if it makes over 100 million overseas, it wouldn't be a huge failure, just a disapointment. And the only likelihood of there being a sequel, would be if it had been released theatrically only in other markets, and went straight-to-video in the U.S.  
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 8:45pm
Gosh, where are Don Ameche and The Ritz Brothers when you really need them??????
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2011 at 8:46pm
It's so sad, Waltz is infinitely more talented than the movies he is doing post-Basterds indicate. Anyone who can win an Oscar playing a character that Tarantino himself didn't think anyone could pull off is exceedingly talented. Hopefully he's good in Django and the new Polanski film.  It's too bad that this one sucked. But in retrospect, not the least bit surprising.
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 1:31pm
Looks like it will wind up between 25-30% at R.T.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 5:04pm
Which means it's mediorce at best.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 5:15pm
I meant to ask if this will be a contender, but it seems obvious it should at least be considered for Worst Remake/Rip-Off.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2011 at 7:38pm
If they show this in France...will the French turn Hollywood in for human rights violations OR will they surrender to the sound of the approaching bomb headed their way???  

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Nobody? You don't think Alexander Dumas is a great writer?
Perhaps you can point out where, an any of my posts, I offered that Dumas was not a good writer. What I said was that in my opinion, The Three Musketeers is a wildly overrated work (which doesn't even necessarily imply that it isn't great. I just don't like it). By contrast, works like The Man in the Iron Mask, Twenty Years after, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Vicomte de Bragelonne were marvelous. Even Shakespeare had some bad work...the upcoming movie claiming, yet again, that he did not actually write his own plays not withstanding. That, incidentally, is nonsense.

Have you no respect? This may not be a good adaption, but to say "nobody" wants another Three Musketeers (That's Musketeers, not mouskateers) is down-right ignorant, and disrespectful.
Interesting comment from someone who obviously missed the "mouseketeers" joke.  However, if you can find 20 people out there who sincerely wanted a 58th adaptation of this work, bully for you.  While you are at it, maybe you can find a few people who think the world needs another adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

Judging by the numbers it is generating at the box-office, I will stand solidly behind my statement that nobody wanted yet another adaptation of this story.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2011 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

While you are at it, maybe you can find a few people who think the world needs another adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

I'm one of those that actually wants to see one of those Christmas Carol renditions...because I'm a huge Christmas nut...but one that is TASTEFULLY done (which I doubt Hollywood can ever do again)...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2011 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Razzilla

I'm one of those that actually wants to see one of those Christmas Carol renditions...because I'm a huge Christmas nut...but one that is TASTEFULLY done (which I doubt Hollywood can ever do again)...
Undoubtedly, the wait for yet another adaptation of A Christmas Carol will be a short one. As for tasteful, don't hold your breath.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2012 at 9:24pm
Time for my first review of a Paul Worthless Sh*t Anderson movie.

Some of the action scenes are decent. Key-word some. The only decent action scene worth talking about is Milla Jovovich killing some of the guards. Ray Stevenson and Christolph Waltz give "OK" performances.

The movie really drags! It's less than two hours, but it felt longer than The Tree Of Life. The special effects were absolutely atrocious, but there's not enough to justify this going into the next paragraph. Logan Lerman was stiff in the lead role. And why was Til Schweiger in this? And why was he in New Year's Eve too?

Why does Worthless Sh*t still have a career? The only good movie that he's done is Event Horizon and, if I'm in the mood, I'll put Mortal Kombat with it. Milla Jovovich gives a terrible performance and she's only here because she's married to Worthless Sh*t. But, worst of all, is Orlando Bloom. He's only good as an elf or a pirate, but only once. It's not his worst performance because Elizabethtown still exists though. And his beard is funny.

How did this make Tarantino's best of the year list? Grade: D+

Next-up: The Darkest Hour!!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12