Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > EPIC MOVIE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Diss-Cussion of EPIC MOVIE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diss-Cussion of EPIC MOVIE
    Posted: January 27 2007 at 2:18am

SURE, IT'S SCATTER-SHOT, HIT-and-MISS, ONE-LAUGH-for-EVERY-17-JOKES...WAIT A MINUTE, WHY ARE WE DEFENDING EPIC MOVIE. LET IT SINK, SWIM (or WALK THE GANGPLANK) on ITS OWN MERITS (OR BLATANT LACK of THEM!)...

Captain Jack Swallows: "Is this a parody of PIRATES...or a PIRATE GIRLS GONE WILD video??" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 4:22am

I saw this one last night. It had a few inspired gags, and a lot more humor that fell flat. In short, it wasn't much different than the spate of similar films, such as the Scary Movie series. It is worthy of discussion, but the guess here is that by the time we get near the end of 2007, we'll have a host of more promising candidates for Razzie gold.

The more interesting aspect of seeing this film was the trailer for Delta Farce, which I have discussed elsewhere on the site.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 6:18am

I was sure that this would be better than Date Movie, because here the material is actually able to be properly parodied, but from what I've read of the IMDb user comments, it is just as bad as Date Movie,  full of the same unfunny toilet/sexual humor.

Maybe these untalented writers/ directors, who escaped the wrath of the Razzies this year, will finally get what they deserve when the 2007 nominations come out in early 2008?? 

whennow View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote whennow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 5:28am
Carmen Electra is going to get another nomination. Fourth year in a row. "I want Candy" doesn't look promising. Another duo nom?
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 7:44am

News flash!
Epic Movie currently has a 0% aproval rating on Rottentomatoes. Now that's ROTTEN! Even Date Movie got about three fresh reviews.

This might help boost its razzie consideration this year, but last year's Zoom had a 0% aproval rating and it only got two nominations (Worst Actor, Worst Excuse for Family Entertainment).

Response from Head RAZZBerry: I too was disappointed at ZOOM's poor showing in this year's RAZZIE nominating process. Actually, it only got ONE nod -- A three-way Worst Actor nom for Tim Allen in it, SANTA CLAUSE 3 and SHAGGY DOG. Guess almost no one actually saw it!

bruin215 View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 2:11am
Let's see, the Scary Movie series, then Date Movie, now this. Looks like a Razzie to me. And once again, Carmen Electra might get nominated for a fourth year in a row.
Mamby View Drop Down
Berry Special GUESTS
Berry Special GUESTS
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mamby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 8:19am
Why in the hell did the creators of Scary Movie choose to do another rip-off when their last one, Date Movie, bombed really bad?
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by Mamby

Why in the hell did the creators of Scary Movie choose to do another rip-off when their last one, Date Movie, bombed really bad?

Um...I believe it's only 2 of the 6 people of Scary Movie...the bottom two (Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer).  Just wait untli they make Action Movie, Romantic Movie, Romantic Comedic Movie, Goth Movie, Emo Movie, Cartoon Movie,  Parody Movie (a movie that parodies parodies), and Bad Movie (a movie that parodies bad movies...badly).

Unfortunately, the way Hollywood has been, don't be surprised if these movies happen.  And considering that Epic Movie made it to #1 at the box office...oh boy.

Date Movie made $48 million in the US and $84 million worldwide.

Both Date Movie and Epic Movie had budgets of about $20 million each.

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 1:28pm

Another news flash! Not only does Epic Movie have a 0% aproval rating on rottentomatoes it is #41 on the IMDb bottom 100 list. Headrazz-Keep this one in mind while writing the ballot at the end of the year.

Another recent movie on the bottom 100 list that we haven't discussed is Stomp the Yard. It sounds like yet another young African American trying to be accepted movie, this time focusing on "stomping"...whatever that is!

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 7:10am
Some of the best parodies in Hollywood history have been 2 of the earliest films by Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. Airplane was also pretty funny, showing David Zucker's glory daze before they slipped away.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 7:19am
Saw it last night, it was funnier then Date movie, but that really isn't saying much. I will admit to laughing at the "Obvious stunt double" fight scene, with Fred Willard. Also Crispin Glover and Darrell Hammond did pretty good imitations of Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka and Captain Jack Sparrow. Aside from that I pretty much detested the film.
BlancaNieve View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlancaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 5:45pm
God I hated every second of this movie. I always enjoy myself when I go to the movies, even when the movie is awful (and I saw the third Austin Powers in theaters), but this movie was both completely disgusting and NOT funny.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"- Denis Diderot
EraFirma View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote EraFirma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 9:54am
I don't know what it is but the scary movie, date movie and this really insult me, haha. Maybe it's the fact that they make a preview actually considering the fact that I'll see it and actually want to see that movie? I idea of Parody has so many damn options and potential creative drive and these disregard all of that. I personally know alot of people who think the stupidest most moronic stuff is "funny" but no where in my life have I actually ever met somebody who would consider or be tricked into seeing these films. The numbers these films brought in absolutely make my jaw drop! I even think there are alot of films that are brilliant and it seems no one else in the world agrees with me such as "Club Dread" but the wayons bros. and the rest of the writer's of these "movie's"....!.... I just find it so damn hard to believe that someone somewhere said " hey, ya know this is great! I'll fund it"

"Boy, Rick sure was lucky."
"Lucky? He's dead!"
"Yeah, but how many people get to get hit by a satellite. I'll bet he makes the Guiness Book of World Records."
EraFirma View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote EraFirma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 9:57am
I would seriously in a second, choose a Steven Segal film 5 times in a row tied down eyes taped open than consciously go see one of these movies. 

"Boy, Rick sure was lucky."
"Lucky? He's dead!"
"Yeah, but how many people get to get hit by a satellite. I'll bet he makes the Guiness Book of World Records."
WarioGolf View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote WarioGolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 12:38pm
I saw it just to see how bad it was. It was bad. 2nd worst of 07 next to Hanibal. And nobody laughed in the entire film!

Good thing I decided to see the good movie Pursuit of Happyness right after that. Made me forget about this!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 7:28pm

What does it say about a movie when you can see the boom mike in a number of scenes?    Or where you can clearly see the face of Fred Willard's stunt double when you should see Fred Willard fighting?    Or when it's obvious they are using a dummy?    Or, and sad to say but it's true, when some of its best performances were by Carmen Electra? 

Screenwriters Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer were among the screenwriters who worked on the Scary Movies, and even then, they only worked on certain characters.  After seeing this dud, I would suggest they dump these two.  Although I laughed a number of times, for the most part, Friedberg and Seltzer can't deliver anything that's funny. 

Not only that, but this apparently low budget dud was supposed to spoof The Chronicles of Narnia, The DaVinci Code, The Pirates of the Carribbean, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, X-Men and Harry Potter movies (along with way too many others).  Yet Fox spent next to nothing on special effects.  I guess they decided the beaver was the only thing that needed to be done.  They could have erased the boom mikes, morphed the dummies to be more realistic and put Willard's face over his stunt double's face, but no.  It was more like watching a home made production rather than a major studio release.

Kal Penn, Adam Campbell, Faune A. Chambers, Crispin Glover, Jennifer Coolidge, Darrell Hammond, Fred Willard, David Lehre, Kevin McDonald. . . . almost the entire cast turned in worse performances than Carmen Electra did as Mystique.    THERE AREN'T ENOUGH RAZZIE NOMINATIONS TO GO AROUND FOR THIS STINKER!  It's easier to say that Jayma Mays, David Carradine and Jareb Dauplaise performed well, AND THAT'S IT!  Deserving of special attention are Hector Jiminez for French kissing a beaver and Vince Vieluf for acting more like a parody of Teen Wolf than of Wolverine.

Last year's Date Movie only got one nomination (and one dishonor) because of Carmen Electra, but 2006 had more than its fair share of bad movies.  I hope we don't neglect Epic Movie in this year's noms.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>