Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > MEMBER STARTED FORUMS on 2014 Titles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DIVERGENT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIVERGENT
    Posted: March 22 2014 at 9:38am

MEMBER-STARTED FORUM

YA novels have become a joke in many circles. While there are few that are considered good, there are even fewer that make good movies and/or get to become franchises. Divergent appears to have be one of those that got a good box office, but is not a real good movie, so it might have some Razzie legs.

It is a big role for the
Oscar snubbed Shailene Woodley, obviously trying to follow in the footsteps of Oscar winner Jennifer Lawrence. She is accompanied by a number of actors including potential Razzie nominees Jai Courtney and Miles Teller. Oscar winner Kate Winslet also shows up as the villain while pregnant, so they need to hide it as much as possible.

The film is said to suffer from too much build up with little resolution. You are to get more with the sequels. While some build up is necessary to be able to connect with characters and actually show strengthening without the use of montages, it is not going to bode over well if your movie is nothing but that.

Do you guys think
Divergent is worthy enough?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 10:37am
R.T. (40%): "With an adherence to Y.A. formula that undercuts its individualistic message, this installment opens its planned trilogy in disappointingly predictable fashion".

Peter Travers gave it a 1.5/4.

Chris Bumbray gave it a 5/10.

Jeremy Jahns' review:

WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review:

Jonathan Kim's review:

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2014 at 11:02am
The trailer for this was one of the more baffling that I've seen. It explained literally nothing about the plot or the world the film's set in. As bad as Twilight was, at least the trailers gave a hint as to what the plot was.

As I gathered from some reviews,* the film has a very low opinion of people with high intelligence. So yeah, it's like Forrest Gump.

*Especially this one.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
vodianova View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote vodianova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 11:57am
DIVERGENT should not get nominated for anything. It's actually good! I liked the performances as well. The movie isn't getting slammed. It's worth noting that the RT score has been increasing since the press screenings. 

21 mixed reviews, 12 positive reviews, and 2 negative reviews.
vodianova View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote vodianova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 12:13pm

88% from Chicago Times

B- (67%) from The Playlist, citing that the movie is uneven but has a lot of promise.

63% from Roger Ebert website, mentions that it's overlong but contains plenty of highlights (especially the acting)

6.3/10 from Film, calling DIVERGENT overly-plotted but highly entertaining and well-acted

B+ (83%) from Entertainment Weekly, calling it a good launch of a dystopian franchise where individuality actually means something; praise for the acting

75% from Washington Post, calling it well articulated and visually stunning

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 2:40pm
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 7:33pm
I like the end of Jeremy Jahns' review - "How's hell? . . ."

Divergent is steady at 40% on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning it's weak, but not bad enough for us.  Let's move on.  We have much better smelly fish to fry, like Winter's Tale, 3 Days to Kill, That Awkward Moment, I, Frankenstein, Sabotage, the upcoming Endless Love re-baked, Paranormal Activity 4.5 as well as the upcoming 5, Need for Speed and, of course, the movie that is out standing in its field (and, it apparently is way out standing in its field. . . .), The Legend of Hercules.  

Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 4:42am
BERRYly talking Divergent has a lot of potential ... First, cinematography is painful, yet I've got eyes hurt after three days, the performances of the actors, everyone, even the "super" Winslet, is dramatic from all points of view, scenes seem "drawn"  with Paint ... guys, movie that candidabile would say! We'll see! :)
I am Doppiatore Matto, italian Moviegoer
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:02am
Antonio Martínez (2/5): "A gathering of tests that measure the physique, intellect, personality, psychology, emotional intelligence, courage and brute strenght. In other words: Life is a tough competition from early on, and that "early on" starts sooner and sooner with each generation. This isn't a horror movie, but it could be.".
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 6:19pm
I only have one suggestion for a nomination: 

Worst Supporting Actor: Miles Teller. His acting as Peter is worthy for a Razzie nomination. He is quite insipid in his performance. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2014 at 3:22am
Divergent has sort of become the "Guilty Pleasure" movie of the year. Yeah the Score on RT is pretty bad but there are a lot of critics and people in general who have this secret like for it.

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2014 at 12:42pm
Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2014 at 5:40am
Kate Winslet deserves consideration, a very ugly "test"  : her character was not the best right from the start, but I would have expected from her work  more commitment, considering who we're talking about, she could save and give more depth to everything! So it was not ... 
I am Doppiatore Matto, italian Moviegoer
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2014 at 4:02pm
I just saw it. For your consideration: Worst Actress for Shailene Woodley and Worst Supp. Actor for Jai Courtney (also for I, FRANKENSTEIN). Oh, and maybe Worst Supp. Actress for Kate Winslet. But not Worst Director.
 Post Reply Post Reply