Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > MOVIES & DVDs of the WEEK > BEST BAD CABLE MOVIE of the WEEK
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Doris Day in (and as) JULIE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doris Day in (and as) JULIE
    Posted: March 28 2006 at 4:41am

JULIE (1956) Showing on Turner Classic Movies 

on Friday, April 22  

TCM is once again showing the Berry Worst Movie ever to star Doris Day , a thrill-free "thriller" starring The Girl Next Door as a stewardess terrorized by a 73" pianist. JULIE is listed as one of the 100 Funniest Bad Movies Ever Made in THE OFFICIAL RAZZIE MOVIE GUIDE, yet was inexplicably Oscar nominated for its shrill screenplay (as well as for its hokey "haunting" theme song: LINK). 

JULIE co-stars Louis Jordan as the pianist out to tickle Day's ivories to death, and Barry Sullivan as the "love interest," with whom she shares a chaste hug at movie's end. But it's Frank Lovejoy who shares the single funniest scene with Doris: Helping her to land a disabled airliner all by herself, instructing her via headphones while she screams, acts up a storm... and repeatedly shuts her eyes in terror. 

As a bonus, TCM will be showing it in Letterbox format...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 4:40pm
Of course last week TCM had Jack Benny's "The Horn Blows At Midnight" (1945)...my all-time favorite of all bad movies...
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2006 at 10:56am
Any ideas WHY TCM placed that movie at the END of the Doris Day tribute for tomorrow's playlist???
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 4:45am

What happened to the TCM Doris Day festival???   

I do hope they have rescheduled it for a later infliction...uh...date...

Response from Head RAZZberry: I just went to the TCM site and entered "Doris Day." Here's a LINK to what came up. It looks like they've dropped Doris from their Summer Under the Stars series for August 2006, don't know why.

Speaking of JULIE, here's a LINK to the TCM entry specifically on the film, which clarifies Day's own less-than-enthusiastic assessment of it. I've alwaze found it amusing that, when TCM does air JULIE, it's shown Letterboxed and in a pristine-looking Black-and-White print, respectfully preserving for all eternity the original, howl-inducing wretchedness of its makers' artistic vision...  

Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2006 at 3:35pm

I remember this movie, and I remember being so bored I switched channels. Didn't John Wayne popularize this genre (and the fact that Denver is one mile above sea level)? 

Response from Head RAZZberry: I assume you're referring to the 1954 John Wayne "vehicle" THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY, which TCM does air from time to time. It was one of several "all-star airliner / disaster" movies credited with inspiring 1980's hilarious satire AIRPLANE... 

"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
 Post Reply Post Reply