Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DRAGGIN’ Indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAGGIN’ Indeed!
    Posted: April 06 2009 at 5:22am

REMINISCENT of the RAZZIE®- NOMINATED 1987 MASTERS of the UNIVERSE MOVIE, the LIVE-ACTION VERSION of DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION ARRIVED AT LEAST TWO YEARS TOO LATE to BE of INTEREST to MUCH of ANYONE AT ALL...   

ADD IN THAT the ORIGINAL MATERIAL WAS MEDIOCRE at BEST, the CASTING INCLUDES a 28-YEAR-OLD PLAYING a TEEN-AGER, the EXECUTION HERE IS STRICTLY BY-the-NUMBERS (and THAT FOX's ALMOST NON-EXISTANT AD BUDGET ON THIS SUGGESTESTS EVEN THEY ARE EMBARASSED by the FILM) and YOU CAN SEE WHY WE THINK THESE BALLS SMELL an AWFUL LOT LIKE RAZZ-BERRIES.

SO, FEEL FREE to GRAB SOME PAST-ITS-SHELF-DATE HAIR GEL, SPIKE UP YER TRESSES, and START THROWIN' SOME HARD BALLS...'CAUSE ONCE YOU SEE the DVD, YOU'RE LIKELY to BE THROWIN' Z-Z-Z-Z-Zs...

GOKU: "So, Bulma...wanna play with one of my balls?!?!?"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:11am
Once again... I have a Goku and a Vegeta tattoo, and this looks like an all out abomination.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 8:21am

It was exactly a decade ago when "Dragon Ball Z" was big and my friends and I were talking about how cool of a live action movie it would be. This is NOTHING like the movie we had in mind.

Meanwhile, Keanu Reeves will star in and produce the live action "Cowboy BeBop" movie. He said he's a big fan of the series and if he doesn't like the script, he won't do the movie. Wow, that's pretty sad when the fate of a movie depends on what Keanu thinks is a "good" script.

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 10:03am

This Americanized anime thing is unpleasant.  Live action DB, live action Cowboy Bebop, CGI Astro Boy (w/ Nick Cage as Dr. Tenma), etc.  I kept getting mad when Adult Swim took away all that anime, but now I wonder if they drove people away to protect the anime from Hollywood.  There were rumors of a live action Evangelion as well.

As for DBE, you can tell there are over 9000 things wrong with it just by looking at the commercials.  No Krillin whatsoever, a white Piccolo (he's supposed to be green), no blue hair for Bulma (the producers? apparently said coloring Rossum's hair would make her look weird or something?), the school-boy Goku thing, the "discovering" of his powers, etc., etc., etc.

Did the people making this movie even watch the show?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 11:43am
*Rabidly booes the over 9000 joke.*
As for Piccolo, he's KINDA green, and Bulma has blue streaks in her hair.
As for making a live action movie... There may have been a time when I didn't hate the idea, but now I definitely do, this movie aside. I remember thinking that during the final Matrix movie (which I hated) and during that final fight scene where Neo and Smith are flying that, "Ok, I guess it'd be possible to do a live action DBZ movie now at least." But I didn't really want it that badly. Now I really don't. And after this movie, I really, really, really don't.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 12:28pm

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Did the people making this movie even watch the show?

I doubt it. If they did, they would know each season goes like this: First ten episodes, there is this all powerful and evil being who wants to destory the planet, and he's killed all my friends. Quickly, we must collect the Dragonballs and wish them back to life. Next ten episodes, I'm fighting the super villain, but I'm too weak. I must power up for my fatal energy blast. Ten episodes later, I'm still powering up for my fatal energy blast. Ten episodes after that, okay I fired my energy blast ... but I missed! Ten episodes later, no matter, I defeated the super villain with a different energy attack that didn't take an entire season to power up for. Last ten episodes, I have all seven Dragonballs, and I wished my friends back to life. All is right in world ... until next season ... when an even more powerful super villain will show up.

Yeah, based on that, I kinda don't blame the producers for wanting to go a different path ... like not making the movie at all would have been nice.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 1:06pm
The beginning of the original Dragon Ball was pretty boring for a while.
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 6:15pm
If this show follows the format of the series as shown on Cartoon network, the first half will be a recap of what happened previously, then there will be about 5 minutes of "Powering up" and then as the credits roll, they will tell you what is going to happen in the sequel... They will carry on this way until there are too many damn movies to count, and all but the most rabid fans have given up.
Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 4:05pm

Sounds like a major stinker, alright.

The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 6:52pm
I am so glad I will be out of town for the weekend, and hopefully not able to stop to see this stinker before my work week starts up...
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 7:39pm
This is going to be easily worse than last year's Speed Racer.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 3:30am

Easily? There is nothing "easy" about being worse than Speed Racer!

I think this movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage being "easily worse" than Speed Racer...

Originally posted by cvcjr13

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 6:39am

Someone told me that at least Speed Racer had a lotta pretty colors in it...

-Iron helps us play-
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 2:24pm
Oh my God, this movie looks terrible! I remember loving this show ten years ago. Then again, I loved "Waterworld", "Deanzilla" and "Jurassic Park 2" at that time to, so my taste was a little off back then. The worst part of this movie; it looks worse than "Hannah Montana: The Movie"!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 5:11pm

Then every theater manager had better equip all the ushers with fire extinguishers wherever this turd screens, because Dragonball: Evolution will be easily worse than Speed Racer.

Speed Racer collapsed on several levels of which I detailed over on that movie's thread, but this adaptation of the beloved Dragonball series appears to simply crater, as would the mind of anyone lured into watching.

Even sadder is, this may not even be the worst movie aimed at kids being released this weekend.  I really feel for parents this weekend.

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Originally posted by cvcjr13

Easily? There is nothing easy about being worse then Speed Racer... I think the movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage to "Easily" be worse then Speed RAcer.

RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 4:10am
While I could care less about Dragonball Evolution this weekend (this is a glorified DTV release that will be forgotten come next week), it truly is a slap in the face for fans of this franchise or anime. Here you've got a chance to make a big-ass martial arts epic, and you hand it over to the director of the miscalculated Black Christmas remake (Billy had yellow skin, Mary Elizabeth Winstead put on the most retarded southern accent since Jessica Simpson did Daisy Duke, and blood = filled theater seats), while it should've been given to Stephen Chow (who executive produced). Chow would've been able to burst open every opportunity to give the film the personality it so desperately needs. Instead, we've got a watered-down, family-friendly version that has suffered nothing but negativity from fans.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>