Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > DRAGONBALL: EVOLUTION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DRAGGIN’ Indeed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAGGIN’ Indeed!
    Posted: April 09 2009 at 10:04am

For full disclosure, I did not watch the last 45 minutes of Speed Racer. I couldn't. It is possible that the last 45 minutes were a fertile garden of sophisticated dialogue and coherent storytelling, but I doubt it. Let's face it, the cheesy dialogue made the script from Gigli look like freaking poetry, because at least you could tell that Gigli's script was written by (incompetent)adults, but the people who made Speed Racer probably hired a seven-year old to write most of the script while they worked on the visuals. And not to mention the plot gets outrageously convoluted at the point I shut it off.

Remember when people were complaining about the Wachowski's Matrix sequels and saying they made you dread mentioning their name when they really weren't that bad?

Speed Racer actually is that bad.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 2:41pm

I have a new phrase for movie adaptations like this: Catwoman-ized. It suits an adaptation that is adaptation in name only, because although it shares the title or character names of the source material, the adaptation's story has little or nothing to do with the source material's story.

Example: The "Dragonball" cartoon is all about an alien child who crash lands on an island with his old fighter who raises the child as his own and teaches him how to fight. Later on, they meet more characters and take on an alien invasion with help from the wish granting Dragonballs. HOWEVER: In this "Dragonball" movie, they went the way of the token "it was all a thousand year old prophecy about a chosen one saving the world". Of course, the "chosen one" is a teenager who is a social outcast of his high school that is bullied by jocks and hopelessly longs to hook up of the school's supernaturally hot Asian girl. He gets superpowers and learns how to use them by a wise mentor who gives him cliched words of wisdom like "true power comes from within", and as a result, schools the jocks and wins over the supernaturally hot Asian girl. By the third act, the alien invasion finally shows up and the Dragonballs come into play, a superpowered engery blast later ends the alien threat, and end with a cliffhanger in order to set-up for a sequel, repeat.

Gee, how many times must that story be told?

PS: I know of only one person who really, really, really wants to see this movie full price in theaters. His reasons are 1. To see how bad the movie will be. 2. He believes if this movie does well at the box office, the sequel will be better (there's moviewizguy logic for you). I had to explain to him in three different ways that when a crappy movie is successful, it doesn't lead to a better sequel, it just leads to crappier sequels. And also like moviewizguy, he refuses to listen to reason.

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 3:22am

Speed Racer wasn't that bad. I'm sure the few people who actually saw that movie turned out to like it. The plot was sophisticated, but still easy enough to understand. The performances were great (and you can't say they weren't -- they were). The visuals were simply fantastic, the action scenes mind-blowing (including the acid trip finale).

There's nothing you can complain about. It's an action movie with brains and a plot.

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Easily? There is nothing "easy" about being worse than Speed Racer! I think this movie would actually have to make the audience burst into flames to manage being "easily worse" than Speed Racer...
Originally posted by cvcjr13

This is going to be easily worse than last year's Speed Racer.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 7:37am

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals. It was bad enough to get a Worst Sequel/Remake Raszzie nom. 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 9:33am

WHAT?Apparently, they are already working on a sequel to DBE and have the script done.  It also mentions the new guy for Freddy Krueger, but the focus here is DBE.

We don't even have figures for this movie yet...though one source predicts a weak opening.  Also, I heard some stuff that the actual budget for this movie was only $50 million, not the $100 million initially listed.  I don't know if that is true.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Michaels

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the
overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals, and was bad enough to get a
Worst Sequel/Remake nod.

Dead on! Whatever articulacy the original screenplay once had was clearly
lost in translation because what appeared onscreen was a cold artless
lump. Granted, the visuals are amusing to look at, but if you're over the
age of 5, then in no sense will they be able to salvage this stiflingly dull
and useless "action" movie.

One more thing, while the Wachowskis do film the race sequences with
some nice style, all of the all of them together are still inferior to the
amazing car chase sequence the Wachowskis made in the second
Matrix movie, which is still in my #1 spot for "Best Car Sequences of
All Time".
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 1:12pm

Originally posted by movieman

All Time".

Whatever happened to the twin albinos with the cornrows?  I'd guess they would eventually get taken over by Agent Smith since they were software programs, but they never appear in the third movie.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:11pm
Yeah, it's never explained what happened to them, but my best guess is that
they reported back to their master, the Merovingian.

And Dragonball is now sitting at 18%, and according to the critical
consensus, it's lacking in both style and substance, meaning this
could be worse than Speed Racer*shudder*.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by Michaels

It might have had "brains and plot", but those were easily lost in the
overly colorful and ADHD paced visuals, and was bad enough to get a
Worst Sequel/Remake nod.

Dead on! Whatever articulacy the original screenplay once had was clearly
lost in translation because what appeared onscreen was a cold artless
lump. Granted, the visuals are amusing to look at, but if you're over the
age of 5, then in no sense will they be able to salvage this stiflingly dull
and useless "action" movie.

All Time".

Oooooh, I don't know about that. The Matrix 2 car chase was prtty fantastic, yes, but I like the ones more in Speed Racer. The Island had a fantastic car/aircraft chase too. Final Destination 2 had a fantastic, jaw-dropping car accident sequence. Yes, I know my car chases. Cellular had a simple but very effective car chase. Death Proof was also decent. For me, the best car chase sequence is one that has my heart pumping. I think the best, for whatI can think up right now, is Cellular, but that's just me.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 2:12pm
I also think that the twin ghosts are programs of the Matrix, as is the
Merovingian, so Agent Smith couldn't have consumed them to clone himself.
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2009 at 4:36pm
Speed Racer is considered a Box Office Bomb both domestically and worldwide. Domestically, it made only up to a little more than $44 million, and add the worldwide grosses, it reached up to only a little more than $93 million on a $120 million budget, so, it's considered a Bomb alright.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 12:33am
I've heard BO numbers for DBE expected to hit $40m opening weekend. I've also heard that I don't always believe everything I hear.

By the way, Observe and Report was fricken sweet. When I'd heard Rogen's character compared to De Niro in Taxi Driver, I kind of shrugged it off, with this being a comedy. But he is definitely, DEFINITELY as crazy.
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 9:19am
According to the estimates on BOM, Dragonball opened up with $2 million
on its opening day. It was expected to make $40 million, but depending on
the word-of-the mouth, it might not even make $4 million this
weekend.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 10:42am

weekend.

$2 million growing into $40 million within two days? That would have to be some amazing word of mouth, and from what I hear, DBZ fans are in an uproar over this movie. The REAL total it will make, anywhere between $5-10 million before dropping off next week.

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 2:53pm
No, I meant before the weekend started they predicted it would make $40
million, but yeah, for this movie to gross $38 million in two days is less
likely than Uwe Boll sweeping the Oscars next year.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 4:27pm

weekend.

Not surprised. Even I didn't know the film was released this weekend. I mean, really, there was, literally NO COMMERCIALS AT ALL! It's kinda stupid. Fox doesn't seem to have faith of this film in America. Worldwide, Dragonball is a hit, actually.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>