Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Duz the Number 2 Refer 2 Whatz in the Diaper??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duz the Number 2 Refer 2 Whatz in the Diaper??
    Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:33pm
It appears this movie may be good. You know what that means, right? It will become a franchise(BHB cries)!  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:53pm
No, I'm quite dry eyed. There's no doubt in my mind that there will be more movies to come. They had to find something to replace "Saw" with now that that franchise has come to an end.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:54pm
The reviews happened to be good at Rotten Tomatoes, but it was merely average at Metacritic. Definitely not one of ours, but don't count on it getting any Golden Globe nominations either.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 4:03pm
Of course not. Despite the reviews the Oscars and Golden Globes focus on other aspects. That's why sometimes the "Best Picture" Oscar nominees include a movie with 60-70% approval at RT, even though there were others with 90-100%. The Golden Globes could easily nominate an Apatow movie or something for "Best Picture-Comedy/Musical," but instead their priorities are the musicals, even if they're bad, like NINE.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 5:23pm
Not all of them are good, but I've liked about half the "Globes but not OSCARS" nominated movies. Besides, those two, the BAFTAs, and even some Box Office Mojo best sellers come up with about 35 good movies a year, but the other 5 come from other award shows and sources to make my Best of lists. I see all the movies on my Best of lists, I avoid those on the Worsts, and movies turn out better for me than most people.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 9:40am
MY REVIEW:  

After experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins," a family sets up security cameras around their home, only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem.

When Paramount announced that they were going to do a sequel to PA, I was skeptical. Let's be honest, it felt like they were trying to cash in on the surprising success of PA. Then the trailers were released, which weren't really special, and the film wasn't screened to the critics. Either Paramount was trying to keep a tight lid on it or it must be a really, really bad sequel. I mean, the only person in the casting list is Katie Featherston, who plays Katie, which is still pretty vague. Fortunately, PA2 is actually a worthwhile sequel that retains everything that made the original scary.

With a much higher budget, PA2 boasts a bigger cast and has more elaborate scares and security cameras to capture the events. But, as you all know, bigger sometimes isn't better, and, in this case, it's true. What made PA so great was its amazing simplicity. The scares were limited to doors creaking, lights flickering, and footsteps thumping. In this film, I'm not going to even mention what they do. However, saying that, the film does have some very scary scenes, even more so than the simple scares in the original. It's apparent while watching the film that PA2 relies more on jump scares than on maintaining an atmosphere like PA, which may be good or bad news depending on which you prefer more. However, the film still retains the slow buildup of scares in PA as the film reaches to the end, where all hell breaks loose. It's also agonizing to see things move on their own that our characters don't notice. Don't you just hate that feeling of dread?

Most of the cast do a great job because they are more innocent than the victims in the first film, including a baby and a dog. Please, just spare the baby and the dog! I'm also glad to say that the climax is much better than the one in the first film, if you could even call it a climax in that film. However, the sequel does have the same main problem of PA: The ending. It's just as anti-climatic and disappointing coming off from a huge buildup.

If you didn't like the first film, just skip this sequel. It's more of the same in terms of structure and style. However, if you liked the first film, you'll definitely enjoy this. I thought the storyline was rather clever in that it ties in with PA. Overall, even though this isn't as scary as PA, PA2 should be an example of how to make a proper sequel to a great first film which stays true to the original's overall tone. And considering the fact that we are familiar of the set up before, PA2 still has its own share of effective scares. Now that's an accomplishment. 7/10
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 10:10am
For once, I'm not going to pop the Wolverine claws on a MWG review. I will give "PA2" credit where credit is due, they did try to keep a tight story that fitted into the story of the original movie. So, as a "mid-quel", it does it's job properly. But like MWG said, the movie didn't create the atomsphere of dread that the first movie had. It's mostly jump scares instead of building up tension for one big, final scare. And it falls prey to what most sequels do, overusing what was successful in the first movie, in this case, people and objects being pulled off-screen by some unseen force. As a companion piece to the original "PA", "PA2" works well, but as a horror movie, it's nothing to write home about. I gave the original "PA" a good 4 out of 5, "PA2" gets a solid 3 out of 5. Now we'll see how "PA3" will ruin the whole series.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 11:51am
Let's hope PA3 is not in 3D!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:55pm
BHB: What did you think of that certain kitchen scene? I swear to you, that scared the hell out of everyone. I was surprised that my friend sitting next to me didn't spill his popcorn all over the place!
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 1:05pm
If we're talking about the same kitchen scene then yeah I'll have to second Gee-Wiz, i was in a packed theater and just about everybody. including me jumped out of our seats! Overall i liked it, thought it avoided being Blair Witch 2. It even had some really creepy moments -- but it still felt unnecessary, though. and the idea that there is room for a third one gives me pause. 

But if you liked the first one, you should go see this, cause it's a rare sequel that doesn't tarnish the first movie -- and it's actually a fairly good movie in its own right.
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 1:45pm
In reply to the kitchen scene, I would say that was a "jump scare" for sure. Yes, it's a good scare, but it pales in comparison to the final scare and payoff in the last 5 minutes of "PA 1." But maybe that's just my opinion.  

Oh, and yes, I still dread the thought of a third PA movie, and said third movie being in 3-D. I think the reason why this movie did so well is because the writer/director of the first movie had a small role as producer. But if he doesn't produce the third movie, oh boy! 
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 3:33pm
Wow, $20 million opening day! Say what you will about the film's quality, but I guess we were wrong about lightning not striking twice in terms of box office results.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 4:03pm
The quality? A big number of people say this one is better than the 1st one!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 4:28pm
Don't dance around just yet. Have you noticed the trend at the box office these days? Big take on Friday, mid-sized take on Saturday, small take on Sunday. This is nothing new, and I never doubted PA2 would make money --  it was the quality I was concerned about.
ziesha View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ziesha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 4:42am
l consider Paranormal Activity 2  to be the best horror movie of the year...
qazjun View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote qazjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 11:12pm
I hope they go the way of Las Vegas, which from what I hear, is dying a slow death from lack of jobs, tourists, and gamblers...  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>