Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > CASE 39
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dying a Mysterious Death @ the BO??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dying a Mysterious Death @ the BO??
    Posted: September 25 2010 at 8:54pm
Consider that those first ten critics to review the movie were handpicked by the studio for the sole reason that the studio could be sure to get favorable reviews from them.  In light of that consideration, you probably should not put much stock in what the first ten critics say concerning any widely released movie.  It should be positive.

Now, if the overall score from those first ten critics isn't positive, then the studio screwed up and we have something to keep an eye on.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 8:58pm
But what if the 10 critics actually had some credibility? Variety has a huge reputation if I'm not mistaken and they said it was better than the original... 
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 9:44pm
Are you seriously willing to gamble your $10+ and 90 to 120 minutes of your time on the reviews of just 3 to 10 critics, who may or may not have been hand picked by studios because they knew those critcs would be kind to the movie in question? I sure as hell wouldn't! I might have been wrong about "Easy A", but I'm not going to yell from on top of my house about said movie being good or a must see based on a handful of reviews. I need at least 50 to 100 to get a real idea if any movie is worth my time and money. 

But, as we all know, you and I have VERY different ways of judging the quality of movies. Hell, you and the other 99% of this Forum's members judge movie quality VERY differently.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 9:51pm
What your suggesting is not logic, nor an educated guess, it's just wishful thinking, hoping the movie will be good because you want it to be. The first 10 reviews mean NOTHING, because like cvcjr and I said, the studio might have handed picked those critics because they knew those 10 critics would be soft on the movie. And then another 100 movie critics come in, and they rip the movie to shreds -- which has happened a number of times this year alone.  

Look at "Last Fart...er, Airbender" (currently 6%), it had 10 good reviews, and then 148 negative reviews. So, by your "logic", I should have run out and seen it based on those first 10 good reviews? Sorry, NO -- I need more than that. 10 reviews tells you jacks*** other than 10 critics liked it, a maximum of 100 reviews gives you a much better idea about the movie's quality.  

Sure, "The Social Network" and "Let Me In" are at 100% NOW, with only 12 or 15 reviews, but what will happen when the other 50 to 100 reviews come in? We won't know, until the day of their release dates.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:42am
The Social Network was directed by David Fincher, who also directed three other high-reviewed films: Se7en (1995), Fight Club (1999), and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008). I wouldn't count on it being one of ours.

Let Me In is a remake of a foreign film. This movie will either take off running or crash down hard, because the source material is a romantic drama horror-oid.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 9:15am
Are you seriously that thick minded? The Last Airbender didn't have a single positive review until after the 15 straight negative reviews came through first. My logic still stands and your explanation in trying to discredit me fails in every way. There's a difference between having 10 straight positive reviews coming out first and having 10 positive reviews sporadically popping up in between hundreds of negative reviews as if they were rare occurrences. EPIC FAIL.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Look at "Last Fart, er, Airbender" (currently 6%), it has 10 good reviews, and then 148 negative reviews. So, by your "logic", I should have ran out and seen it based on those first 10 good reviews? Sorry, no, I need more than that. 10 reviews tells you jacks*** other than 10 critics liked it, a maximum of 100 reviews gives you a much better idea about the movie's quality.

You're hanging onto straws, buddy. It's clear that they will have high RT scores no matter how many reviews come in...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 10:42am
Epic fail? Not even, MWG. The logic of the Razzies buries your "logic" any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If a movie is listed in these forums, there's usually a reason for it, be it who is directing it or who is starring in it, as well as other warning signs that HeadRazz has mentioned time and time again. But then you chime in, as just be be annoying, or just to be different for the sake of being different with "oh no, it's 100% at RT", in which case we go to RT and see that 100% is due to 3 or 10 reviews. And you're like "it's a pattern ... surely it will keep going up". No, kid, it just means 10 critics liked it, it doesn't mean the other 110 critics are going to like it. Studios play tricks like that. They hand pick the 10 critics they know who, like you, lack a critical eye and thus will be soft on the movie, giving it good reviews it doesn't deserve.

So let's quit is with the nonsense that a movie is good based on 10 reviews, that's why I picked "Last Airbender", because it had only 10 good reviews, even if they spead out instead of being all at once. You seriously can't wait until the Friday that the said movie is being released to know for sure if the critics like it or not? That just makes you come off as being desperate for the movie to be good because you want it to be.

As for "Social Network" and "Let Me In", no straws being reached for there, my critical eye challenged friend. As mentioned before, yes, "Social Network" is directed by David Fincher, so the chances of it getting lower than 20% are slim to none, but there is no way it going to stay at 100%. My guess: it will drop to somewhere between 90% and 80%. As for "Let Me In", it's a horror movie remake ... we all know how good Hollywood is at those. My guess: somewhere between 80% and 70%.

No, MWG, as you prove time and time again, you lack any logic when it comes to judging movies. You're just easily sold to whatever ideas Hollywood comes up with, and so you cling to false hope that said movie is going to be good, even if it means using nonsense logic like "oh, but the first 10 critics liked it, it's going to be good", or "well, Ebert liked it, so that cancels out the other 109 bad reviews it got", or "here's two good reviews from two random people I found on Twitter, so it must be good". If there's ever examples of reaching for straws, those are it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:22am
Maybe you're the one creating conspiracies that studios "hand pick" critics...

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Epic fail? Not even, MWG. The logic of the Razzies buries your "logic" any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If a movie is listed in these forums, there's usually a reason for it, be it who is directing it or who is starring in it, as well as other warning signs that HeadRazz has mentioned time and time again. But then you chime in, as just be be annoying, or just to be different for the sake of being different with "oh no, it's 100% at RT", in which case we go to RT and see that 100% is due to 3 or 10 reviews. And you're like "it's a pattern ... surely it will keep going up". No, kid, it just means 10 critics liked it, it doesn't mean the other 110 critics are going to like it. Studios play tricks like that. They hand pick the 10 critics they know who, like you, lack a critical eye and thus will be soft on the movie, giving it good reviews it doesn't deserve

Let's quit your act saying that 10 positive reviews scattered around hundreds of negative reviews is the same thing as saying 10 positive reviews that come in groups. And I don't need to wait. It's an educational guess and I'm obviously going to be right no matter how many reviews come in. It's the same educational guess that the spoof movies will be low on RT no matter how many reviews come in. You just know. There's no need to wait for anything.

So let's quit is with the nonsense that a movie is good based on 10 reviews, that's why I picked "Last Airbender", because it had only 10 good reviews, even if they spead out instead of being all at once. You seriously can't wait until the Friday that the said movie is being released to know for sure if the critics like it or not? That just makes you come off as being desperate for the movie to be good because you want it to be.

I never said they were going to stay at 100%. I said they're going to end up with high percentages on RT.

As for "Social Network" and "Let Me In", no straws being reached for there, my critical eye challenged friend. As mentioned before, yes, "Social Network" is directed by David Fincher, so the chances of it getting lower than 20% are slim to none, but there is no way it going to stay at 100%.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 1:08pm
Oh, you mean like when you or Miguel come up with your nonsense conspiracies about how critics get together and plot how they are going to ruin the movies you like by ripping them apart with their bad reviews? Studio heads have no morals, kid, they will take whatever short cuts they can to make sure they get their money back on as many pictures that they can (adding in 3-D at the zero hour, hand picking choice critics, etc.).

The first ten critics and ten spread out critics IS the same thing; all it means is that ten people liked it, the order the they came in makes NO difference whatsoever. And you're NEVER right. Here's a REAL educated guess of my own: HeadRazz, who has seen many more movies than you AND actually works in the movie business is probably going to be much more able to spot a bad movie than you can, seeing as how you have proven that you don't have a quality filter. So I'm going take his word over your's every time because he knows what he's talking about. If there's a movie listed here in the forum, there's a reason for it to be here. You, on the other hand, just say it's good because you just want to have the opposite opinion.

I mean going on the judgements of ten people ... do you do that with other aspects of your life? If say, you were curious about getting laser eye surgery, but you weren't sure if it is safe, are going to take the testimonies of ten strangers on a TV ad, who for all you know are just paid actors OR are you going to go with the testimonies of say, four dozen people who actually had the surgery done and their eye sight is better or worse because of it? And if you do say the ten strangers ... WOW, you really are that easily sold to! Used car salesmen must love you.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 4:38pm
You're implying I'm basing my actions on peoples' opinions. And laser eye surgery is hardly an even analogy of watching movies. I wanted to watch the film already before those 10 people gave the film a positive review. Thus, seeing how 10 people liked the film, it just reaffirms my decision to go watch the movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 7:13pm
You just confirmed what I been saying. You WANT to see the movie, you WANT it to be good. So when the first ten reviews are good, that's your EXCUSE to believe the movie is good, and thus run out and see it. If you were to wait for anywhere between 50 to 100 reviews, you would realize the movie might not be that good, and maybe then you would change your mind...  

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 8:28am

. . . and then use his time and money to instead see a movie worth watching. . . Wink

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 10:17am
SPOILERS!

This movie was already released here.My cousin saw it(online)and gave it 3/10.He told me the movie doesn't end with a cliffhanger and it's good in paper(we don't want more sequel than we already have),but it killed the tone of the movie for him.

Originally posted by Movie Man

STARRING....2009 WORST SCREEN COUPLE "CO-WINNER" BRADLEY COOPER, THIS LITTLE GEM of a HORROR MOVIE (OR IS THAT "GERM of a HORRIBLE MOVIE"??)

I'm glad you guys finally fessed up and recognized "The Hangover".

He won for ALL ABOUT STEVE.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 1:03pm
"A movie worth watching "  -- Like what?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 2:14pm
Well gee, considering how much cheaper Netflix and Red Box are, you could just rent a GOOD, old movie. And, when said bad movie does come out on DVD, just Red Box it, cause then you're only wasting $1 on that s***.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 7:53pm
I've suggested this to you before - how about Hot Fuzz?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Or, if you're a horror/zombie movie fan, from the same film-makers as HOT FUZZ, check out the even funnier SHAUN OF THE DEAD...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>