Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > Disney's A CHRISTMAS CAROL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Early Discussion of A NEX-MUSS CAROL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Discussion of A NEX-MUSS CAROL
    Posted: May 04 2008 at 2:53am

Jim Carrey is currently slated for four movies.  He is starring in Yes Man, I Love You Phillip Morris and Ripley's Believe It Or Not (playing Robert Ripley, naturally). 

Before Ripley's and after Phillip Morris, Jim Carrey is involved in a retelling of A Christmas Carol.  He will be playing Ebenezer Scrooge, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.  That oughta beat the humbug out of anybody. . .

I smell a disaster on the horizon.

Click here for his IMDb page

I take it we'll all be keeping an eye out for this one.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 9:40am
I smell another "Norbit".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 4:46pm
Another Norbit?

Hmmm where is the role for a 400+ plus woman?
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 2:09am

Bob Cratchett's wife, perhaps? . . .

Or, better yet, the turkey at the end? . . .

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 5:16pm
Hmmm, I think the role of the Christmas goose would be more appropos...
GIVE KIRK CAMERON THE RAZZING HE DESERVES!!!!!!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 1:47am

Originally posted by JoeBacon

Hmmm, I think the role of the goose would be more appropos...

You are soooo right! 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:48pm
I said another "Norbit" because it has one actor playing almost every role...  
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 1:35am

If he can exercise some degree of restraint with at least one character, and as long as they treat the source material with a modicum of respect, it should at least be passable...

Otherwise, it'll probably be all ours!   

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 3:50am
Jim Carrey as Ebenenzer Scrooge sounds to me a little too much like Jim Carrey as Count Olaf in the LEMONY SNICKET movie -- Which, no matter what moviewizeguy sez, was HORRIBLE!  
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2008 at 2:37pm

Shall we SPOIL the fun by making predictions?  I don't know about the rest of you, but since we have a year and a half until Carrey gooses the movie audiences (thank you, Joe Bacon), I'm going to toss a few specific predictions out there as they come to mind.

Prediction one:  When Jacob Marley's ghost (played by Christopher Lloyd) visits Ebenezer Scrooge, Jim Carrey will launch off into one of his long mocking monologues around Marley, replete with several outlandish, insulting, full body gestures.  The only thing that's not predictable about this is what Lloyd does during all of this.

I noticed although we have a link to the IMDb page for Jim Carrey, we don't have one to this movie.  Here is a link to the IMDb page for Jim Carrey's A Christmas Carol

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2008 at 11:08am

Could someone please tell me why Hollywood won't let this tired story die!? There's over a billion adaptations of it already! 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:30am
Isn't it obvious: money!
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 12:02pm
The major problem with any "reformation" story is that if you can't manage to inject any degree of sympathy into the primary character in the all important first 10 minutes, audiences aren't going to care whether they change or not.  And the filmmakers too often forget or even suppress this point on the grounds that it makes the change more "dramatic."  Unfortunately it often serves counterproductively to make the change less of the character's own inhibitions and more of giving in to emotional blackmail of everyone around him who usually have shown him only contempt.  Dickens lucked out with Scrooge, making it clear there was sadness as well as greed driving him, and adaptations that adhered to this have been well.  As we have seen, however, overstating a point deadens the message, particularly a message most people have already gotten. 
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 8:08pm

A Christmas Carol seems to get around the sympathy problem by making Scrooge's opening statements so jawdropping, they're humorous, such as when Cratchit adds a lump of coal to the fire when the room is freezing cold and Scrooge admonishes him, saying that's what clothes are for.  There's been so many adaptations (my favorite is George C. Scott's), that one may be forgiven for forgetting how you felt the first time you saw this, but for me, Scrooge was so amazing, I had to see what happened to him.  What's more, I expected him to get his comeuppance, and instead Dickens gives me his repentance.  And I liked it!  And I could relate to him!  A Christmas Carol may have originally been written as a magazine serial, but it's as ingenious a tale as any written.

Which makes Carrey's attempt to turn this into his Seven Faces of Dr. Lao perhaps the only funny thing about this project.

Another prediction: Jim Carrey as Scrooge will take several lines to make fun of Cratchit's name.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2008 at 2:56pm
Better yet, Jim Carrey and Bob Cratchit will trade cheap shots about each other's names throughout the movie.  "Scratchit!"  "Screw-you-ge!"  That type of thing.
hastymanic View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote hastymanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 3:39pm
Hmmm...Jim Carrey as The Grim Reaper? I've gotta admit, I'm curious!
Hasty Manic
I am still looking for a movie worse than 'Manos: The Hands of Fate.' Alas, I remain ever hopeful!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>