Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > MEMBER STARTED FORUMS on 2014 Titles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ENDLESS LOVE (2014)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENDLESS LOVE (2014)
    Posted: February 07 2014 at 8:05am
MEMBER STARTED FORUM

ENDLESS LOVE (2014)

OFFICAL TRAILER

IMDB PAGE

OFFICAL WEBISTE

REVIEWS @ ROTTEN TOMATOES

With all the questionable remakes coming out in 2014, there is one in particular that really is eating away at me. Why remake a film that was truly awful from beginning to end? Granted, Mommie Dearest was worse but still remake THIS movie?

Besides the trailer trying to make this movie edgy and cute at the same time (odd combo) it's the tagline that bothers me. "Say Goodbye to Innocence"... That's like an "Alice in Wonderland" poster saying "Say Goodbye to Your Head", something just doesn't seem right. Let's just hope this remake won't have a scene where a mother watches her daughter have sex with her boyfriend in the Living Room this time!

The original film made in 1981 was nominated for several Razzie Awards, again why would anyone want to remake this film? Taking The Razzie thing out of this for a minute, Endless Love has very little to absolutely no fans. The only thing about the film that withstood the test of time is that song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross. In fact, that's the only reason that film was ever popular to begin with! Who knows, this film can be a sleeper hit in February... but I won't hold my breath.

So, I am done riffing about this Remake of a Razzie Classic... what do you guys think? Do you think this film can be part of a Razzie pattern of repeat offending this year? What do you think Hollywood will remake next? Let's all just hope it won't be Mommie Dearest next!

Jade: Honey, Suck My Nose.
David: No More Razzie References Babe!

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2014 at 2:21pm
I always say that it's better to remake bad movies, because you can fix the original version's problems and make a good movie. But you can't remake any bad movie. It has to be one with potential. There are movies that were doomed from the start (usually a bad script or source material). In this case, it's a premise that was already very clichéd 30 years ago. Now it's gonna be worse.

I already mentioned my feelings on script writer and director Shana Feste. And she's not the only 2011 Vits Award nominee. There's also Worst Movie Performance nominees Alex Pettyfer and Rhys Wakesfield. Gabriella Wilde will also be in SQUATTERS, Joely Richardson is already in VAMPIRE ACADEMY, and, Robert Patrick has like 10 movies in production scheduled for this year.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 6:00pm
It's looking like this movie is on the same level as the original.

So, essentially, this movie has no reason to exist, at all.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 6:11pm
Well... at least it's doing better critically than Winter's Tale
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 8:57am
SchmoesKnow review:

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 11:28am
Here are some great quotes from reviews of this film. A few are pretty funny to say the least.

"Alas, the movie just went on; not quite endlessly, but almost".
Seattle Times

"As a review of the earlier film memorably noted, buying the book is less expensive and will be more satisfying than the movie".
New England Movies Weekly

"Pettyfer and Wilde (both Brits) look the part in a soft-drinks-commercial way, but their characters might as well be called Ken and Barbie for all the depth they bring".
Time Out

"The real victim in all of this is Spencer, who is still writing books and must watch his tragic novel about dangerous obsession and true heartbreak get mangled anew every two generations".
San Francisco Chronicle

"Re-designed for 12-year-old girls, this version of Scott Spencer's novel plays like a dreamy Nicholas Sparks-style fantasy".
Contactmusic.com
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 2:43pm
R.T. (15%): "Blander than the original version and even less faithful to the source material, this remake is clichéd and unintentionally silly".
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 3:56pm
You know the consensus is a huge BURN when it's compared inferiorly to its own past Worst Picture finalist counterpart!

I seem to recall someone saying there was nothing good about the original version's script, and from there, this didn't call for one of those "remakes of something they got wrong the first time". 

When it comes to stuff that's both edgy and cute, plenty of video games have done that, but few have succeeded. It's still more than we can say about recent films. At least Bayonetta had a FEW cute elements to it to complement its black outfits and the villain's celestial powers. As for something with a better balance of cute and edgy, Lollipop Chainsaw was a good try back in June of 2012, but the latter didn't work out. And yet Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't nearly as bad as either film adaptation of Endless Love!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 5:22pm
WHAT THE FLICK?!'s review:

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 10:38am
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:21pm
Here's my review for ENDLESS LOVE (2014)

As far as Remakes go, Endless Love is one we could've definitely lived without. Nobody and I do mean NOBODY was asking for this film to be made again. Well we got the unwanted remake and really... it's probably just as awful as the 1981 original but in different ways. Well let's look at the story of the 2014 remake of Endless Love.

David and Jade have just graduated high school. They meet and instantly find solace in being together. Soon enough, they do manage to fall in love and want to spend the rest of their lives together. However, Jade's father thinks David is a bad influence on Jade (which he kind of is apparently) and will do anything to keep his daughter away from her "true love". I mean it too, Mr. Butterfield (yes that's his real name) is just as obsessed with David as Jade is. In fact, I would say this movie is more about Mr. Butterfield's crazy obsession with this guy. It's a little weird and kind of off putting at times. I know what the movie is trying to do. It's trying really hard to make Jade's Dad an antagonist. Which would be fine if David was a good guy but he kind of isn't. I won't give too much away here but somehow he convinces Jade to give up her internship and Medical school just be with him for the summer. Also, there is some pretty messy things in his past but again I won't spoil it for you. Then again, I'm not sure if there's much in this movie to spoil.

This movie suffers from two major issues. Firstly, the audience has no idea who to root for. Which can be a good thing but in this film is just comes off emotionally cluttered and mentally confusing. No matter who wins in this plot, it won't matter because practically everybody in this movie is either a moron or just evil (in a teenager way). For instance, David has this best friend who can be funny at times but constantly gets himself and David into trouble or will invite David's ex girlfriend along just to make things uncomfortable. Some friend you have there David. Secondly, this movie is pretty much the total opposite of the 1981 version of Endless Love. Practically everything in this movie is innocent, safe and happy all the time. Which is both a good thing and bad thing in this movie. It's a good thing because director Shana Feste really wanted to make this movie a whole better and actually have the love story not seem like a rejected script of a Lifetime Original Movie like the original version of Endless Love. However, it's a bad thing because the story and the characters come off so unbelievably boring and one dimensional. With a story like this, there has to be a balance between Sweet and Insanity. If you want to make a sweet and cute love story, make a sweet and cute love story. Don't try to force all this melodrama and obsession into a movie when it doesn't belong there.

There's really not much I can say about the acting in Endless Love. I mean the entire cast really is trying to make their characters and their dialog sound believable. But good acting can't save a clichéd and boring script. All in all, Endless Love really is just as bad as it's Razzie nominated counterpart but it's bad in an entirely different level. The dialog can be silly, the characters are one noted and the script is clichéd as hell. Just stick to the famous song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:24pm
What Razzies do you think it should be nominated for?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 12:29pm
Worst Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel
Worst Screenplay
Worst Actress (Gabriella Wilde)
Worst Screen Couple (Alex Pettyfer and Gabriella Wilde)
Worst Picture
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 2:01pm
When?
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

Firstly, the audience has no idea who to root for. Which can be a good thing
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2014 at 2:09pm
In a film or a story in general there can be a no win situation. It could make the plot more interesting and there can be more to analyze. However, in Endless Love it doesn't work because the plot and the situation are meaningless. Yeah the relationship is important to Jade and David but not to us because there is no connection between the two leads and the writing is very sloppy.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>