Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > Oliver Stone's DUBYA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ENT. WEAKLY’s Early Peek...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ENT. WEAKLY’s Early Peek...
    Posted: May 08 2008 at 3:34am

We all know director/screenwriter (and four-time RAZZIE® nominee) Oliver Stone is about as subtle as a Mack truck driving thru a china shop. And as Voting RAZZIE® members, we're all hoping his next project DUBYA (a Bio-Pic on our 2004 Worst Actor "Winner" George W. Bush, due for release in Fall, 2008) will set a new standard in "un-biased," objective film-making.

RIGHT!

Here's a LINK to an early peek at the movie from Entertainment Weakly... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2008 at 5:57am
Unlike a doctor, Stone clearly has no patience.  He would be better off waiting until the full affects of Bush's tenure come to light, which could be up to a decade from now.  But since we're talking about a guy whose Jim Garrison never did exist in the real world, any such argument would be moot. 
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 11:56am
I read the article in Entertainment Weekly . The casting is pretty horrible...Thandie Newton as Condi Rice?! This might be every bit as bad as Alexander.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2008 at 1:39pm
While he has made some good movies in the past ("Platoon", "Born Of The Forth Of July"), Oliver has, also, made a lot of really, really bad ones ("Any Given Sunday", "U-Turn", "Alexander", and his all time worst movie "Natural Born Killers"). I'm on the fence about this one.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
hastymanic View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote hastymanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 3:33pm

Oliver Stone is one of my all time favorite directors. I hate George Bush, but I'm eager to see the film. I think this is a great time to release a bio-pic. Stone, of course, is not subtle nor is he at all reluctant to avoid controversy or stir conspiracy theories. Awesome! I'm hoping he goes right for the throat with this one, and shows Bush as the slacker IQ deficient kid who sits at the back of the class and throws spit wads at the learned kids in the front.

Opening weekend, here I come!

Hasty Manic
I am still looking for a movie worse than 'Manos: The Hands of Fate.' Alas, I remain ever hopeful!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2008 at 1:38pm
I'm really, really, really hoping this will be a comedy that will show just how stupid and how much of a lame duck President Dubya was. Like a Michael Moore movie, only being acted out.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2008 at 3:07am
Springtime for Dubya? . . .
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2008 at 10:01am
Josh Brolin as Dubya? Well, at least he has some origins in Texas.

I really hope, though, that this film doesn't become an all Bush bashing bonanza, like Farenheit 9/11. I'm pretty tired of being reminded the obvious: Bush is an idiot.

Stone better introduce some aspect of Bush's personality that's not seen much in the public. If not, then it may come off as boring as Alexander.

deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2008 at 11:25am

I think you should give Natural Born Killers another look. America is more obsessed with celebrity now than ever before. We care more about Britney Spears and Paris Hilton than we do about the Iraq war or Darfur. More people vote for American Idol than for president. Look where it has gotten our society.

That said, this is going to be one of the best movies of the decade.

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

While he has made some good movies in the past ("Platoon", "Born Of The Forth Of July"), Oliver has, also, made a lot of really, really bad ones ("Any Given Sunday", "U-Turn", "Alexander", and his all time worst movie "Natural Born Killers"). I'm on the fence about this one.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by deadguy76

More people vote for American Idol than for president. Look where it has gotten our society.

Funny you should mention that, because a movie was made about that very sad fact. It was "American Dreamz" ... and it sucked.

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2008 at 12:19pm

At your suggestion, I gave "Natural Born Killlers" another shot; it was even worse than the last time. I'm glad that Oliver Stone dumped the f*cked-up camera angles after "Alexander"...   

Originally posted by deadguy76

I think you should give Natural Born Killers another look. America is more obsessed with celebrity now than ever before. We care more about Britney Spears and Paris Hilton than we do about the Iraq war or Darfur. More people vote for American Idol than for president. Look where it has gotten our society.

That said, this is going to be one of the best movies of the decade.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 1:45pm

The Razzies were mentioned in Newsweek this week, in context with this film. The Newsweek reviewer noted that this film looked lame enough to be a shoe-in for either an Oscar or a Razzie.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 5:40pm
"What a wonderful world. . ."
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 1:42am
I read that there are well over a thousand books written about Lincoln. We have an entire state named after Washington. What's Bush's legacy? A Razzie worthy biopic. Yeah, that's what he deserves, if anything.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 10:45pm

The elder Bush has an airport named after him...in Houston. Should I ever become sufficiently famous to leave anyone the urge to remember me long into posterity, please don't let the populace name an airport after me. Having spent at least a small amount of time in a very large number of the nation's airports, I can testify clearly that if you don't know which city you are in, it is virtually impossible to tell one airport from another. As Douglas Adams once noted, there is a reason why the words "beautiful" and "airport" have never appeared together in the same sentence in the history of the English language.

As an alternative suggestion, just blast my likeness into some hill in South Dakota...if there are any left.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 9:29am
My newspaper is touting W. as one of those good end-of-the-year movies worth looking forward to. Guess see come October whether or not to roast Stone for his lack of objectivity about Bush.

BTW, does anyone else think Josh Brolin somewhat resembles Billy Bob Thorton in the W. posters?

Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
 Post Reply Post Reply