Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > EVAN ALMIGHTY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Evan Help Us...It’s NOT Funny!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evan Help Us...It’s NOT Funny!
    Posted: June 19 2007 at 5:36am

LORD KNOWS, STEVE CARELL CAN BE FUNNY (and ACTUALY WAS in BRUCE ALMIGHTY). BUT THIS SECOND BIBLICALLY-"INSPIRED" "COMEDY" IS, DESPITE a CLEVER CONCEPT and an APPEALING STAR, JUST NOT FUNNY. IN FACT, EVAN ALMIGHTY HAS ABOUT AS MANY LAUGHS AS THE NUMBER of UNICORNS NOAH LOADED onto the ORIGINAL ARK...

Evan: "And Lord, may ye grant that our box office has legs as long as this giraffe's..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 5:59am

If Universal were savvy in marketing this apparent turkey, they'd have released it at either Easter or Christmas, to maximize it's potential appeal to right-wing Christians (who may be its only audience). Given that Biblical zealots coughed up nearly $375 million to see Mel Gibson's S&M gore-fest "Passion of the Christ" in North America alone, maybe this thing will have some box office legs.. 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually,  think I'd have released it the weekend before Easter, so it'd maybe have a second strong weekend. As it is, if it's as laugh-free as the early reviews suggest, I think their choice of when to release it is arguably idiotic...

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 6:21am

This is an uneccessary (and really expensive) sequel. If this movie bombs...they wasted a lot of money!

Response from Head RAZZberry: Industry word is that ALMIGHTY 2 cost about $175 million Almighty Hollywood Bux just to produce. When you add in the cost of "prints and advertising" (which on a movie of this scale can top $50 million) you can see what a huge risk the film is. It would need to top $250 million at the domestic box office just to break even. Since the original BRUCE ALMIGHTY didn't reach that level (and it starred Jim Carrey when he was still quite hot)  the prospects for this one doing more business, if it's as un-amusing as I've heard it is, seems extremely unlikely.

Mayhaps, if this film bombs, it could inspire a long-overdue New RAZZIE Category: Biggest Waste of a Too-Big Budget...

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2007 at 4:37pm

I remember BRUCE ALMIGHTY made about $243 million at the U.S. Box Office back in 2003, and was one of 2003's Box Office Hits, along with LORD OF THE RINGS 3, FINDING NEMO, THE MATRIX: RELOADED, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 1 (I shall have to say the BEST of the PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN trilogy), X-MEN 2, etc. However, BRUCE ALMIGHTY had a PG-13 rating, while this movie as a more family-friendly PG rating. Already we've seen a non-Jim Carrey sequel with a family-friendly PG rating (when the original rated PG-13) winning a RAZZIE as well as being nominated for Worst Picture: SON OF THE MASK, nominated for Worst Picture of 2005, and went on to win the Worst Remake or Sequel RAZZIE that year...

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:28pm
I think I was the first ont to bring this to your attention through just the PREVIEWS I saw of this turkey of movie while watching THE ULTIMATE GIFT...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:30pm
I still say it deserves two RAZZIES...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2007 at 4:17am

I noticed that Evan Almighty is The Worst Movie of The Weak also I think that 1408 could be number 2 worst movie of the weak haven't we already done The so called Scary number thing already with Number 23.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2007 at 5:02am

tomsmobr, if you haven't notice or anything, 1408 is critically acclaimed. If you said it's a worst movie of the week on IMDb, I bet you that there will be flaming posts saying that you're a troll (one coming from me) because it's just not another PG-13 horror movie. Please, just because it's a number movie doesn't mean it's bad! And yes, I wanna watch the film so bad and if someone says anything bad about it, see it before you call it a horrible horror movie!

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2007 at 5:11am
Wow, a Troll? I have not been called that one! It's just an opinion. Guess you can't have that on here? But you're right. I went to Rotten Tomatoes.com and it has been getting Good Reviews (it's at like at 86%, which is diffently out of Razzie Range). I will just wait for it on DVD or cable, although I'm surprised it's PG-13. After seeing the trailer, I figured it would have gotten in R rating.
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2007 at 1:18pm
Update from Box Office Mojo: Friday's results show EVAN ALMIGHTY on top with $11.1 Million, and 1408 finishing second with $7.5, so it looks like two new movies are going to top the U.S. Box Office this weekend.
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2007 at 2:49pm
I just saw this movie. It doesn't deserve to be on this forum. It was fairly funny, could have been much funnier, but it is definitely  not Razzie worthy. Though I will admit, most of the lines that were funny came from Steve Carell and Wanda Sykes...   
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 4:20am
jb razz, you now know how it feels like, doesn't it? Films that doesn't deserve to be on the boards.
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 4:23am

An interesting article today on the website of The Los Angeles Times, uses the promo line "Evan Almighty Box Office: A Disaster of Biblical Proportions." They may be overstating the degree of the "disaster," but they claim "Almighty" cost about $250 million to produce and market, and with its just-over-$30-million opening, it certainly looks headed to be a major money-loser...

Here's the link...

Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:01pm
Even my local chapter of The Salvation Army wouldn't recommend this biblical curse...   
bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:46pm

Wow, so, this movie cost like $170 Million to make? And right now, it's sitting at about $78 Million at the U.S. Box Office. Sure looks like this movie isn't going to make it to the $100 Million Dollar Mark... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: Actually, although in Hollywood's profligate terms, $5 million is chump change, EVAN is said by The L.A. Times (which ought to know if anyone does) to have had a production budget of $175 million... 

bruin_522 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote bruin_522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:38pm

Oh, my bad -- Someone said this film cost $170 Million to make (guess they didn't even know about the chump change). Right now, after Tuesday's results, EVAN's sitting at $81.1 Million at the U.S. Box Office.

Response from Head RAZZberry: Which translates to...A Box Office Disaster of (I can't resist the pun) Biblical Proportions... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>