Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Even for FREE Will Anybody Show Up?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Even for FREE Will Anybody Show Up?!?!?!
    Posted: March 13 2007 at 3:36pm
Box office dud 'Warrior' gets second chance
Tuesday March 13 10:32 PM ET

The new-age movie "Peaceful Warrior" may have died at the box office last year, but its producers hope it still has some fight left in it.

The film, which starred Nick Nolte in an adaptation of a best-selling inspirational novel, is being re-released in theaters on March 30, distributor Universal Pictiures said on Tuesday. And admission will be free. (Popcorn not included.)

In what is believed to be an industry first, the film's producers, Mark Amin and Cami Winikoff, have bought $15 million worth of tickets, and will give them away to customers of Best Buy Co. Inc., which is stepping up its involvement in the entertainment business. The electronics retailer is sponsoring the North American leg of the upcoming reunion world tour by rock trio the Police.

Universal, a unit of General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal, hopes that the 2.5 million to 3 million people who see the movie for free will tell their friends about it, and that those friends will pay to see it -- and that both camps will eventually snap up the DVD.

The film originally was released last summer by independent studio Lionsgate. Despite strong scores in test screenings, the movie proved hard to market and was given a limited run in art-house theaters. Budgeted at about $14 million, it sold $1.2 million worth of tickets, Universal said. Critics mostly savaged the movie. Lionsgate declined comment.

Universal became involved late last year during an informal chat between the studio's marketing president, Adam Fogelson, and producers Amin and Winikoff.

According to Fogelson, Lionsgate was considering reissuing the movie, and the producers wanted his input on the best way to market it. Fogelson pitched them an idea he had long mused about -- a word-of-mouth campaign based on letting people "sample" the film for free.

"Most films will still be best served by some version of a traditional marketing campaign," Fogelson said in an interview. "Some films will not ever reduce well into 30-second TV spots, 15-second TV spots, trailers and posters. What is special or exciting or fun or meaningful about them will not be reduced.

"We've got to come up with a different way of doing it. This is a way to have those kinds of films have a real meaningful shot at landing in the marketplace and succeeding."

Fogelson said there was no financial risk to Universal, whose main expense is the manpower involved in marketing and distributing the film. It will share in any profits from the theatrical and ancillary releases.

"Peaceful Warrior" is based on Dan Millman's book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior." It was directed by Victor Salva, best known for the "Jeepers Creepers" slasher movies.

Nolte plays a grizzled gas-station owner who dispenses nuggets of advice to a cocky young gymnast, played by Scott Mechlowicz.

Reuters/Nielsen

tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 4:56am

I just got Email from Unverisal about how to request a free ticket to Peaceful Warrior all have to do to request Tickets, and you can request up to 10 is just click The Link Below http://www.peacefulwarriormovie.net/freewarrior/

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 12:10pm
This reminds me of an old story about some really sorry sports team...I think it was in Cleveland. A man who owned season tickets was unable to attend a game, so he left two tickets to an upcoming game on on his windshield under the wipers, hoping that someone might want them and take them. When he returned, there were 4 tickets on his windshield.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 2:22pm
Ouch! guess that's what fans thought of The Cleaveland Indians Back in The Day! I was just on RT, and they have Peaceful Warrior at 21%. One of The Critics refers to Nick Nolte as "Yoda in overalls"...
Razzilla View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

This reminds me of an old story about some really sorry sports team...I think it was in Cleveland. A man who owned season tickets was unable to attend a game, so he left two tickets to an upcoming game on on his windshield under the wipers, hoping that someone might want them and take them. When he returned, there were 4 tickets on his windshield.

I heard it was 8 tickets...and...yes...it was Cleveland...
Comparing Uwe Boll's movies to a sack of horse manure will only get you sued by every fertilizer company in existence...
Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 8:28am
I just saw the DVD  at Family Video and according to the poster, "Peaceful Warrior" ranks right up there with the best movies ever made.
The blurb stated that "Nick Nolte is one of America's best actors!  This is not to say that I believed the poster since an even bigger poster in the window stated that "Norbitt"   was "one of the years ten best"!  Ten best what, wasn't mentioned,  so I presumed it was one of the years ten best posters.
I haven't seen "Peaceful Warrior" so I don't know if Nolte's acting was up to par or not.  Nick is normally a good actor, but most often appears in bad movies.
It wasn't long ago that Nick was considered one of the best up and coming stars, this was during the mini-series of "Rich Man-Poor Man".
Since then, he has steadily gone from mediocre to great and back again.
Either the man has poor judgment or someone takes advantage of him when he is drunk.
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
 Post Reply Post Reply