Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > MY SOUL TO TAKE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Even MovieWiz Guy Won't Defend This One!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Even MovieWiz Guy Won't Defend This One!!
    Posted: October 03 2010 at 5:32pm
LIKE SO MANY BUCKETS of BLOOD DUMPED on MOVIE-GOER's HEADS for HALLOWEEN SEASON, EVERY FRIDAY THIS OCTOBER BRINGS ONE (OR MORE!) LOUSY HORROR MOVIES, MANY of THEM SHAMELESSLY PIGGY-BACKING (OR IS THAT PIGGY-BLADDER-FULL-of-BLOOD-BACKING?) on the CURRENT, SOON-to-DIE-of-OVER-EXPOSURE 3-D CRAZE. 

FOR the SECOND FRIDAY of OCTOBER, IT's MY SOUL TO TAKE -- the RETURN to EXPLOITATION/HORROR TURF of FORMER DRIVE-IN MONSTER MAVEN WES CRAVEN. OTHER THAN ITs USE of 3-D, THIS ONE LOOKS AS GENERIC AS THEY COME. AND ACTUALLY, THIS LATE in the WHOLE TACK-on-4-BUX-for-the-GLASSES GAME, EVEN THAT DOESN'T DISTINGUISH THIS from ABOUT 537 OTHER SIMILAR FILMS. THE PLOT, IF ANYONE CARES, CENTERS on a GROUP of TEEN-AGERS WHO INEXPICABLY KNOW THEY WERE ALL CONCEIVED on the EXACT SAME NIGHT (THAT MUST'VE BEEN SOME SENIOR PROM!) and WHO ARE ALL NOW LINKED to an EVIL EVENT THAT OCCURRED THAT SAME NIGHT. IN PAINT-by-NUMBERS FASHION, the TEENS ARE BEING PICKED OFF...ONE-by-ONE... 

WITH EVEN MOVIE-WIZ-GUY SAYING IT LOOKS DUMB, THIS ONE LOOKS DOOMED...

GIRL: "Turn off the TV!  TURN OFF THE TV!!!" 

GUY: "But I can't believe the critics said THAT about 
our movie!"  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 5:54pm
Haha. A thread dedicated to me? THANKS. Embarrassed
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 7:02pm
I completely overlooked this one.  How can Wes Craven, a legend in horror films, make something terrible?

Speaking of terrible, what Samuel Bayer and Wesley Strick did to Craven's NoES franchise comes to DVD Tuesday.  If you want a good horror film, get 'Splice' instead.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 7:50pm
I really want to see Splice. I avoided it in theaters, knowing audiences would laugh through it, especially in the third act because it isn't your normal horror film. I tend to avoid horror films in theaters because of people trying to act funny and popping jokes throughout. It annoys me.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 8:21pm
Anyone wonder why I hate going to horror movies?Because they attract the dumbest, rudest, and most annoying audiences in the world.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 8:23pm
I would suggest that a new Razzie category be listed, "Movies So Bad, Not Even moviewizguy Approves Of Them" ... but it would be a very short list!  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Haha. A thread dedicated to me? THANKS. Embarrassed 
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 11:07pm
It's 6 days until your US release date and not a single review in yet. But I guess we've gotta 'give 'em time' (there'll possibly be a review of it in my Empire Magazine).  

This topic also gives me an idea for a potential new Razzie category:  

'Worst Attempt at a Career Revival'  
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 6:48am
All of the young men in this film are in their early 20's, but they just look under 18. The problem as I see it is... Wes Craven should've gotten his fill of dream-tied killers with the Nightmare on Elm Street series.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 7:46am
BHB: I always thought that The Twilight Saga attracted the 'dumbest, rudest, and most annoying' audience in the world.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Anyone wonder why I hate going to horror movies?Because they attract the dumbest, rudest, and most annoying audiences in the world.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 11:34am
Dumb, maybe. Annoying, sure. But rudest? No. 

No one is ruder than a teenager in a theater during a horror movie (or, a teenager during ANY movie for that matter!)...  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 12:22pm
How can Wes Craven make something terrible? It depends on what you see. NEW NIGHTMARE was more creative than the original NIGHTMARE, but less scary -- and with awful effects. SCREAM was a little more funny than scary. And RED EYE...well,I'm probably the only one here who didn't like it. 

Originally posted by Film Reel Redemption

This topic also gives me an idea for a potential new Razzie category:  'Worst Attempt at a Career Revival'

I think Razzie categories should be more about the movies than the people who make them. But it could exist...after all, I'm sure you all remember "Most Tiresome Tabloid Targets"! Anyway,I wouldn't say his career is "dead."
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 1:43pm
How can Wes Craven make something terrible? Because he's no longer in touch with what scares people any more.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 5:30pm
What do you mean? The last movie Craven directed was RED EYE, which had good reviews (I still don't know why). He has written and/or produced some bad movies after that, but scaring people is a little more related to the directing. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For those who care, here's an R.T. LINK to read reviews on RED EYE...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 9:59pm
My point was, if you don't know what scares people, you can't make a good horror movie. Thus, Craven goes back to the well and does the usual teenagers-dying-one-by-one thing, like he does here. Meanwhile, "Paranormal Activity," a super low budget movie about such basic human fears as what happens when we sleep, was a run-away success. 

So, my suggestion to Mister Craven: Less cliches, less blood-and-guts, more scares based on what people actually fear...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 2:01pm
For the third time, what makes you say Craven doesn't know how to scare? I know that during his career, he has made bad movies, but if the last movie he directed was the best only good thriller of 2005, his career isn't dead!  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 2:38pm
Is Craven's career really not dead? When was his last run-away hit? This movie seems like a desperate attempt to get back on top of the genre, but it looks more another epic fail. If he was more in touch with what scares people, their simple, most basic fears, he would mske a good horror movie -- and not the paint-by-numbers crap he made here. Knowing what your audiences wants (or needs) does help in making a good or bad movie...  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>