Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > THE EXPENDABLES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

EXPENDABLES TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EXPENDABLES TRIVIA QUESTION ANSWER...
    Posted: July 24 2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by TaRaN-RoD

Kevin Coastner did JFK and Dances with the Wolves two great movies! Ok personnaly I didn't adore Dances with the Wolves and found it boring in someways, but it still be a great movie winner of Best Picture Academy Award!
Yes, and then his career went to s***. It's been decades since he last had a hit movie or got good reviews. Another victim of the "Oscars Ruined My Career" curse?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Another victim of the "Oscars Ruined My Career" curse?
I agree with you on this!!Shocked
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 8:08pm
JFK wasn't a particularly good movie...factually, it was outright nonsense. Nor was Costner particularly good in it. Not only was his performance fairly wooden, but he offered an heroic portrayal of one of the most despicable people in recent American history.

Further, winning an Oscar for Best Picture doesn't necessarily equate a movie to greatness. In fact, some mediocre to dreadful movies have taken home Best Picture Oscars: The Greatest Show On Earth, The Sting, Rocky, Titanic...a few others could be tossed into the mix. Occasionally, Oscar voters can be swayed by "flavor of the month" selections. Even worse, movies sometimes win due to an obvious mathematical flaw in the balloting system.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 8:45pm

This is just me being curious, but saturnwatcher, what movies that won the Best Picture Oscar do you think deserved the award and which movies that didn't win do you think should have won?

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 9:08pm
That would take some time, but here is a list of what I would consider to be some of the Academy's most appalling misses over the past 60 years. A few are certainly debatable, and I probably missed a few that could also spark reasonable debate. I'll list the year, actual winner first and the nominee that probably should have won:

1952: The Greatest Show On Earth...High Noon
1956: Around the World in Eighty Days...Giant
1961: West Side Story...Judgement at Nuremberg
1962: Lawrence of Arabia...To Kill a Mockingbird (this one is a close call though)
1964: My Fair Lady...Dr. Strangelove
1965: The Sound of Music...Dr. Zhivago
1968: Oliver!...The Lion in Winter
1973: The Sting...American Graffiti
1976: Rocky...(either) Taxi Driver or All the Presidents Men or Network (I believe this is a classic case of vote split)
1980: Ordinary People...The Elephant Man
1990: Dances With Wolves...Goodfellas
1994: Forest Gump...Shawshank Redemption
1997: Titanic...L.A. Confidential
1998: Shakespeare in Lust...Shaving Ryan's Privates

Almost every year there could be some debate. The above are my opinions, of course. I think some of them would be widely agreed, others controversial. In some cases, there were movies that weren't nominated that might have been better selections than the actual winner. For example, in 1952 Charlie Chaplin's Limelight wasn't nominated, probably due to concerns about his political difficulties. But even it was far superior to Greatest Show on Earth. Another point is worthy of note: There have been years that movies have won that weren't particularly good, but they probably were the best movie that year. Had they been released a year before or a year after, they might not even have been nominated. So Best Picture winners are kind of a crapshoot from several angles.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 9:21pm
Two other points should probably be made here. While there are years where the pickings are pretty thin, other years can have several worthy choices. The Wizard of Oz and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, both movies that might have won any other year, had the misfortune of being released in 1939, a year in which another picture called Gone With the Wind just happened to come out. Sometimes, great movies can also be just a little too controversial for the Academy.  Charlie Chaplin released The Great Dictator in 1940. It should have blown away every other nominee that year, but Rebecca ended up winning, just because of the controversial nature of Chaplin's film. A year later, Orson Wells released what is now considered by many to be at least one of the greatest, if not the greatest movie of all time: Citizen Kane. It lost out to How Green Was My Valley, largely because members of the Academy were probably more than a little nervous about voting for Citizen Kane. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 12:01pm
The same could be said about "Brokeback Mountain" losing to "Crash".  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

Sometimes, great movies can also be just a little too controversial for the Academy.  Charlie Chaplin released The Great Dictator in 1940. It should have blown away every other nominee that year, but Rebecca ended up winning, just because of the controversial nature of Chaplin's film. A year later, Orson Wells released what is now considered by many to be at least one of the greatest, if not the greatest movie of all time: Citizen Kane. It lost out to How Green Was My Valley, largely because members of the Academy were probably more than a little nervous about voting for Citizen Kane. 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 1:45pm
Probably so, although in my mind, that was one of those years where something had to win out of a list of very mediocre films.  

The same could be said about "Brokeback Mountain" losing to "Crash".
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 2:50pm
Brokeback Mountain and Crash are both great films!!! You don't seem to like anything... you should be more open! But me, too. I think Brokeback Mountain should have won!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 3:25pm
For the most part, we are not here to discuss the things we like. Nonetheless, I have made references to films that I have liked with some frequency (scroll up 5 posts for a short sample of a long list). Brokeback Mountain and Crash are good films, but not great ones IMHO, and I think that observation will stand the test of time.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 4:39pm
Out of being curious again, saturnwatcher, what are your favorite movies that you feel have lasted the test of time?
TaRaN-RoD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote TaRaN-RoD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 4:50pm
What do you mean ''test of time''? (French speaker who needs a little help with English expressions)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 6:13pm
"Test of time" means a movie (or anything really) that is still remembered by the genernal public and is still held in high regards many years after the movie (or whatever) was released to the public.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 6:20pm

And yet some movies RISE from the Test of Time: They're seen as however good or bad at first, but then people hold them in even higher regard in subsequent decades. Some examples were Mommie Dearest, Who's That Girl?, and Hudson Hawk. At first they were seen as some of the worst ever. These three movies were all finalists in the Worst Picture race for those years, two of them won. In 198X and 199X, people hated them, but since then, these movies have grown on audiences. Now people love "Who's That Girl?"!

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 6:59pm
That would be a reasonably long list and will take time to compile...  

Out of being curious again, saturnwatcher, what are your favorite movies that you feel have lasted the test of time?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2010 at 7:45pm
How about your Top 5...or 10 perhaps?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>