Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 29th ANNUAL RAZZIE® NOMINEES > THE EYE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

EYE See What You Mean...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EYE See What You Mean...
    Posted: January 25 2008 at 12:52pm

2007 WORST ACTRESS NOMINEE JESSICA ALBA STARTED OFF 2008 with ANOTHER MOVIE JUST DRIPPING with RAZZIE® POTENTIAL --THE SECOND AMERICAN REMAKE of an ASIAN HORROR FLICK THIS YEAR (THE FIRST ONE WAS ONE MISSED CALL).

THIS ONE's ABOUT a BLIND WOMAN WHOSE CORNEAL TRANSPLANT GOES WRONG, and SUDDENLY STARTS SUBJECTING HER to VISIONS from the DEAD DONOR. IN ADDITION to BEING a REMAKE of a 2002 FILM from HONG KONG, THE EYE IS ALSO ARGUABLY a KNOCK-OFF of ABOUT 27 PREVIOUS LOW BUDGET HORROR FLICKS ABOUT VARIOUS TRANSPLANTS GONE WRONG, INCLUDING 1981's THE HAND and 1994's BLINK...

FEEL FREE to TRANSPLANT YER THOUGHTS BELOW...and PRAY THEY DON'T COME BACk to HAUNT YOU LATER in the YEAR!

Alba: "Oh, my God -- I"ve never seen such a gigantic TURKEY!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 12:57pm
I HATED "The Hand". "The Eye" has to be better than "The Hand".
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 1:48pm

The original film was...okay.

But it's like remaking THE OMEN. It was a decent story to go through once, but it isn't really deserving of repeat treatment. They should have just found stronger source material, especially with the Asian horror film fad on its way out (if not already gone)... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 6:31am
Don't remind me of the "Omen" remake. It was one of the worst remakes I've ever seen, right up their with Gus Van Sant's "Psycho", John McTiernan's "Rollerball", Rupert Wainwright's "The Fog", Guy Ritchie's "Swept Away", Neil LaBute's "The Wicker Man", John Frankenheimer's "The Island Of Dr. Moreau", Frank Oz's "The Stepford Wives", and Richard Fleischer's "The Jazz Singer". Although, that scene were Olivier yells "I hef no son!" was pretty damn funny.
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 11:40am
Try not not remember "Where the Boys Are '84," "The King and I" (cartoon version), "Attack of the 50 ft. Woman," "The Time Machine," "Stagecoach," "Stagecoach" (no, I didn't list the same film twice), "Piranha," "The Shaggy Dog," "And God Created Women," "Yours, Mine and Ours," "Taxi," "Pulse," "Black Christmas," "Halloween," "The Hitcher," "When a Stranger Calls," "Dark Water," "Jungle 2 Jungle," "The Haunting," "The Grudge," "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Get Carter," "Godzilla," "Gloria," "The Invasion," "The Truth About Charlie," "The Phantom of the Opera," "The Out-of-Towners," "The Hills Have Eyes," "Diabolique," "Thirteen Ghosts," "House on Haunted Hill," "Village of the Damned," "The Jackal," or "A Star is Born."

Try not to be reminded of any of those.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 3:48pm
"The Phantom Of The Opera" was directed by Schumacher!
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 6:18pm
I just found out the screenplay for this was written by Sebastian Gutierrez, who also wrote SNAKES ON A PLANE. It's a shame they couldn't come up with a similar title for this thing, at least it would've been funny.

Gutierrez's other writing credits include: THE BIG BOUNCE (another remake) and GOTHIKA (another horror film). I guess we can expect THE EYE to be some kind of a hybrid of these two films.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 2:23pm
This looks goood...without having seen the original. I'm more excited to see Funny Games, though, even though I found the original completely pointless, and I hear that the remake is a shot-by-shot re-do...
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

This looks goood.

Looks good.

Haha, get it? LOOKS

And it's called THE EYE.

I love puns, the lamer they are, the better.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 9:51am
.....OMFG...you are so....funny
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 12:10pm

The only thing that looks good in this movie is Alba's body. But she has a long losing streak of bad movies, dating back a few years.  At this rate, Sin City 2 may disappoint because of her! 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 3:03pm

This may actually be only the second most Razzable movie being released this week. Strange Wilderness slips quietly into theaters this weekend, and probably just as quietly into rental before you open your Valentines Cards...or so the studio hopes. Let's not overlook SW. The bet from this corner is that it will be one of the year's strongest contenders. It wasn't previewed for critics and the theatrical trailer wasn't even released until last week. The buzz is that this one is howling bad. Ernest Borgnine has a supporting role in this travesty, most likely wearing a "Hey! I'm Still Alive!" tee-shirt.

Evidently this one is being marketed to the late teen, early 20's male drug crowd. Nothing like going after a specific market.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 9:46pm
STRANGE WILDERNESS will probably go the way of A SOUND OF THUNDER and achieve a dismalness that will go largely ignored due to its low-profile. Saying it's slipping quietly into theaters is no understatement, suggesting that not even dreck vomitorium (you know what I really mean when I misuse that word) Happy Madison productions (THE BENCHWARMERS, GRANDMA'S BOY) is willing to put any stock in it. That's really saying something. Unless it's a fear of the lack of such comedic "talents" as Rob Schneider and Jon Heder that's keeping this film from being properly marketed, we may have a motion picture that fails to even reach the less-than-lofty standards set by BENCHWARMERS and GRANDMA'S BOY. But again, it may not have the profile to garner any real attention from RAZZIE members.

Back to THE EYE. In case you guys weren't aware, the original Hong Kong production was directed by the Pang brothers, who made their American debut last year with RAZZIE contender THE MESSENGERS, another paranormal horror flick. It proved to be highly susceptible to far too many of the conventions plaguing modern American horror. In THE EYE's case, we can already tell it's borrowing from aforementioned sources; it is, after all, a remake of a film that had no qualms about building its story around a device that had been employed in a noticeable amount of other films. This American version is doomed to suffer from the familiarity of its genre and is likely to be just as forgettable as THE MESSENGERS. Only now it has Jessica Alba, so there's no way it can fail. In fact, this is probably the exact same film as THE MESSENGERS just with Alba dubbed in over the other lead actress. It's marketing genius.
jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 12:54am
This has to be the 234th film about someone who can sense death before it
happens. Off the top of my head I can think of One Missed Call,
Premonition, and Next. And you know what those three films
have in common? They suck!

In the IMDb description, it says Alba plays "an accomplished concert violinist
who has been blind since childhood", like she is playing Helen Keller or
someone like that. That makes me want to go

And what on earth is Parker Posey doing in this movie?
icegirl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote icegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:23am
damn i'm to afraid to see this kind of movies(after the ring, i got some sleep problems) but i'm sure that i'm not going to miss something big so i'll pass
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 7:29am
This got a better than expected 38% at RT.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>