Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > FINAL DESTINATION 3-D
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Final Destination: INADVERTENT HUMOR?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Final Destination: INADVERTENT HUMOR?!?
    Posted: August 25 2009 at 9:49am

OKAY, WE ADMIT IT: WE DO HAVE a DEFINITE BIAS AGAINST "HORROR MOVIES,"  LARGELY BECAUSE RECENT ONES HAVE BEEN EITHER SHAMELESSLY DERIVATIVE, INDEFENSIBLY GRAPHIC in THEIR GORE...or BOTH.

WE'LL GRANT THAT the PROMOs for FINAL DESTINATION 3-D DID MAKE US LAUGH OUT LOUD...and WE'RE ASSUMING THEY WERE MEANT TO... BUT EVEN GIVING the FILM-MAKERS PROPS for HAVING a SENSE of HUMOR, THIS ONE LOOKS MORE SILLY THAN SCARY:

THE GIRL GETTING CRUSHED in the ESCALATOR REMINDS US of the OLD JOKE ABOUT HOW DUBYA WAS ONCE STRANDED on an ESCALATOR for HOURS DURING a BLACKOUT...

THE DEATH-by-RADIAL-TIRE MADE US THINK of a VARIATION on the OLD FIRESTONE MOTTO:"WHERE the RUBBER MEETS...the FACE..." 

...and the CHICK MEETING HER DEMISE in a CAR WASH LEFT US WONDERING -- DID SHE ORDER the CARNAUBA WAX??

SO, NOW THAT WE'VE TRASHED IT, IT's YOUR TURN. FEEL FREE to EXPRESS YOUR FEELINGS BELOW... AWARE the WHOLE TIME THAT ALL of YOU, TOO, ARE GONNA DIE...WELL, EVENTUALLY! 

WOW! This Death-by Carwash is Just Like the Shower Scene from the Original PSYCHO...

Except That's It's Not Plausible, It's NOT That Scary...and It's Actually Laughably Dim-Witted!   

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 10:02am

I think I want my departure to be the result of being run over by an icecream truck.

I want a series of 4 tomb stones, each with a one line description...in order they will read:

We all must die

And go to our grave

So live it up!

Burma Shave

(The younger members of our group are probably puzzled, but a few of you will get it)

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 10:24am
(The younger members of our group are probably puzzled, but a few of you will get it)

Burma-Shave was an American brand of brushless shaving cream, famous for its advertising gimmick of posting humorous rhyming poems on small, sequential highway billboard signs. EPIC FAIL.

Anyways, like I said in the other thread, FD is one of the few franchises where the critics liked the recent sequels more than the original film. This seems assuring:

"Warner Bros. has forbidden me from tweeting how much fun FD4 is and that I think you should all go see it this weekend. So I won't do that." - BrianWCollins (from twitter)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 10:33am

Well, perhaps there is a measure of reassurance in seeing that you have some familiarity with a Google search.

However, I think I could create a list of at least 86 million ways I'd rather have fun than watching a movie about people getting snuffed in "creative" ways. Count me out. And while we are at it, color me skeptical that Warner Bros. is "forbidding" anyone from generating positive word of mouth about this film. It'll probably need all it can get.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 12:01pm

Wow, everyone's worst fear: death by carwash ... in 3-D!

It's bad enough that horror movies exist for the sole purpose of watching how people can die in over-the-top ways, but do we really need to see them die in 3-D as well?

Hell no! What's next, "Hostel 3-D"?

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 3:39pm
Even if the gimmick behind FD was fresh, it pushes the limits of patience with this 4th movie. Not to pass pre-judgment, but this really isn't a schtick that you can keep doing over and over without get boring. Because when it's this schticky, you're going to compare it to every other "gag" they've ever pulled. Which is why the Saw franchise is also dying.
-Iron helps us play-
movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2009 at 4:01pm
I have to admit that as cheesy as these movies are, I kind of enjoy them. They aren't what I would call "scary", but I don't think that's what they aspire to be. The reason these movies work (for me at least) is because of their macabre sense of humor, the spectacularly stylish bloodshed, and the dementedly clever death-traps set for idiot teens to fall into.

So yeah, I am looking forward to this one, because with these movies, you can feel the zeal and imagination going into the making -- unlike dreadful, bleak movies like Halloween 2, which are made without talent or skill, and with the sole purpose to depress the audience, arouse ugly and vile feelings...and leave them wishing they had their money back.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 1:13am

When any movie's "big selling point" is the the fact that it's in 3-D, it's never a good sign...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Michaels

When any movie's "big selling point" is the the fact that it's in 3-D, it's never a good sign...

The death scenes are the selling point. The 3D is just a huge plus.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 8:58am
Since the film is released 2 days earlier in France (Wednesday, which is today), I got to read some comments on twitter and people seem to be enjoying it so far. *crosses fingers* I hope it's good.
Knative View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Knative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 10:07am

Wow, everyone's worst fear: death by carwash ... in 3-
D!

There is actually a deadly car wash near where I live. Some high school kid
died in the machinery about 3 years ago. So you all laugh now, but you
won't be laughing tomorrow when you stumble upon the car wash of
SATAN!!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 11:34am
Here's the NEGATIVE Variety review if anyone is interested: http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117940902.html?categoryid=3 1&cs=1
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2009 at 1:48pm
MWG, just remember that advanced screenings are typically reserved for people who are going to be into the movie no matter what. Look at GI Joe.
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 2:00am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

The death scenes are the selling point. The 3D is just a huge plus.

Huge plus? Try annoying gimmick that's getting quickly stale considering it's been used in 2 dozen movies within the past years alone.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 8:07am
3D comes once a decade, and often quickly leaves when people remember how much of a headache it gives you. As much as I enjoyed Coraline, it was a real pain to keep that up for that long. Maybe FD3D is the straw that'll break the Camel's back for the 2000's.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2009 at 8:41am

Huge plus? Try annoying gimmick that's getting quickly stale considering it's been used in 2 dozen movies within the past years alone.

Really? Some movies are using the 3D to immerse the audience in the movies' environment, like "Coraline" and the upcoming "Avatar." This new 3D isn't getting stale at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>