Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FINGERING FREDDY for a NOT-SO-SCARY REMAKE...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FINGERING FREDDY for a NOT-SO-SCARY REMAKE...
    Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

So what you're saying is that every single disaster movie ever made is based on "The Birds". Because in all disaster movies, something happens and then characters try to survive. Other then that ingenius plot summary of yours (gotta love how he tries to compare M. Night movies with actual good movies), "Happening" has not a damn thing in common with "The Birds".

Yes, it does. MNS stated that was the main inspiration of the film and it's clearly there. If you think you're more correct than a director's vision of a film, then more power to you. The films end on exactly the same note as well as having a ridiculous premise around nature attacking back at humans. Both hinge on the fact that there is no explanation to the events. If you can't see that, then I'm not going to say anything. Even critics noted the similarities, along with people who have seen the film. Lastly, let's not get off topic, shall we?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

You know why The Happening was a lot like The Birds? Because it was inspired by The Birds. The structure is the same: Event happens. Characters try to survive. No known explanation of the event. But then again, I don't see what that has to do with what I was saying.
So what you're saying is that every single disaster movie ever made is based on "The Birds". Because in all disaster movies, something happens and then characters try to survive. Other then that ingenius plot summary of yours (gotta love how he tries to compare M. Night movies with actual good movies), "Happening" has not a damn thing in common with "The Birds".
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 11:50am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Given that the entire movie of THE BIRDS is arguably an apocalyptic vision of nature turning against man, the so-called "Golden Gate" ending would have been more in keeping with Hitchcock's original intent. MWG's argument sounds an awful lot like what Ol' Alfred must've heard from execs at Universal Studios when he first proposed this ending. But then, as I recall, MWG expended countless posts a few years ago vainly trying to argue that M. Night Shyamalan's laughably ludicrous THE HAPPENING (a 2008 Worst Picture nominee and in many ways a not-too-subtle rip-off of THE BIRDS) actually was terrifying -- so MWG's credentials for judging terror/suspense movies are suspicious at best...  

You know why The Happening was a lot like The Birds? Because it was inspired by The Birds. The structure is the same: Event happens. Characters try to survive. No known explanation of the event. But then again, I don't see what that has to do with what I was saying.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 9:12am
I think the "Golden Gate" ending to The Birds would be depressing, actually. I liked the theatrical ending more, because it's less bleak.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Given that the entire movie of THE BIRDS is arguably an apocalyptic vision of nature turning against man, the so-called "Golden Gate" ending would have been more in keeping with Hitchcock's original intent. MWG's argument sounds an awful lot like what Ol' Alfred must've heard from execs at Universal Studios when he first proposed this ending. But then, as I recall, MWG expended countless posts a few years ago vainly trying to argue that M. Night Shyamalan's laughably ludicrous THE HAPPENING (a 2008 Worst Picture nominee and in many ways a not-too-subtle rip-off of THE BIRDS) actually was terrifying -- so MWG's credentials for judging terror/suspense movies are suspicious at best...  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 7:06am
5-10 years...Yeah, that sounds about right.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Julianstark View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Julianstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2010 at 3:55am
I have a really close friend that I talk to about movies all the time, and we frequently discuss topics related to movies, such as "eye-popping 3-D," the Oscars, the decline in the quality of film, and remakes (I personally like to call it the "Remake Rampage").

In our remake discussions, we occasionally bring up Gone with the Wind, as well as Citizen Kane and (dare I say it) The Godfather.

To answer your question... probably 5-10 years. 

Better idea: DO NOT make the remake at all! Hey, how about we have a little poll? How long do you think it will be before they officially annouce that there will be a remake of "Gone With The Wind"?

For Your 2010 Razzie Consideration: The Bounty Hunter and Leap Year --
Check out my blog! Movies and Other Things
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 8:18pm
Better idea: DO NOT make the remake at all! Hey, how about we have a little poll? How long do you think it will be before they officially annouce that there will be a remake of "Gone With The Wind"?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 2:47pm
Regarding The Birds, I meant the one with the Golden Gate.It would've been a better ending...  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 2:10pm

If those two new horror remakes do as badly as I think they will, I'll get my hands on them... and beat 'em up as hard and fast as I possibly can.

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Jly 25; Ratner's Hercules, Besson's Lucy. Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 1:17pm

For Poltergiest, I guess they want to make up for the bad sequels,like PREDATORS did.

As for re-making The Birds, if they make the same movie with the original ending, I'll be happy.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am curious -- By "original ending," do you mean the ending they had to use in the theatrical version of THE BIRDS...or the ending Hitchcock originally envisioned and had to abandon, where Rod Taylor's sportscar crests the hill overlooking the Golden Gate bridge only to find it...covered with thousands of waiting birds?? 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 11:19am
It is getting really, really, REALLY hard to be a movie lover these days when Hollywood will not stop s***ing on all the movies I love and hold dear. 

MAKE ORIGINAL MOVIES, YOU F***ING LAZY, UNCREATIVE @$$HOLES!!!   

Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 5:55am
It ain't over yet, these are more horror remakes in the pipeline: 

Poltergeist (2013) - Even though there may be a glimmer of hope for this as Sam Raimi is a producer I wouldn't bet on it. His other producing credits include The Grudge (whose screenwriters are also on board) and Bogeyman, so don't get all excited.  

The Birds - Why?! Hitchcock got it right first time! There's no point! Oh right, coz this is the easy alternative to robbing a bank.  

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 6:16pm

There were 5 teens, or victims, in the entire movie the film focused on.
Big yip, so only 2 were emo/goth. If this movie was as serious as you claim it to be, they should have all been plain looking. Instead, most of them are pretty, rich kids. The movie should have been called "The CW Moves To Elms Street".
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 4:48pm

Um, I don't know what you're idea of what a supermodel looks like, but like all of Michael Bay's remakes, 90% of the cast looks like models. Oh, okay, TWO whole emo/goth people were the exception.

There were 5 teens, or victims, in the entire movie the film focused on.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:51pm

I disagree. There are many scenes that built up in tension and suspense.
Oh you mean all the quick little jumps and fake scares that could be seen from a thousand miles away?

And you didn't think these actors could have been in a Twilight movie? The entire film was taken rather seriously with serious performances by the cast all around. Nobody was in the mood of being happy and the dingy lighting in scenes and the way the film looked overall was somber.
Serious performances? More like s*** performances from people who never acted before. What did they do to cast this movie, flip through a fashion magazine and call up the models' agents?

First of all, probably only two actors in the main cast looked like models. Other than that, the rest of the cast looked like normal people. Hell, even the two protagonist looked like emo/goth people.
Um, I don't know what you're idea of what a supermodel looks like, but like all of Michael Bay's remakes, 90% of the cast looks like models. Oh, okay, TWO whole emo/goth people were the exception.

You're exaggerating but you're complaining about what's seen in almost 99.9% of movies released these days. Almost every film is filled with good looking actors. Hello. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Angelina Jolie? They star in movies in which we cheer for them even though they all look like models. This is a weak complaint for the film. Oh, and you can say the same for the Scream movies. Most of the cast looked like models as well.
Take note, people like Pitt, Cruise, and Jolie took years, if not decades before they had break out roles and were taken seriously. I highly doubt any one in this movie will reach the level of fame that those people you listed did. And unlike the cast from "Scream", these models had NO talent.

Seriously, man, we know you have a major hard-on for horror movies, but you need to accept that NOT EVERYONE OF THEM ARE GOOD! 
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by vrc3

This very lame re-make was done by a director that obviously has no passion for or love of the horror genre.

I disagree. There are many scenes that built up in tension and suspense.

Wes Craven at least brought the somber mood necessary.

And you didn't think these actors could have been in a Twilight movie? The entire film was taken rather seriously with serious performances by the cast all around. Nobody was in the mood of being happy and the dingy lighting in scenes and the way the film looked overall was somber.

In re-makes, they get a bunch of perfect-looking Abercrombie models to run around and get killed in their sleep.

First of all, probably only two actors in the main cast looked like models. Other than that, the rest of the cast looked like normal people. Hell, even the two protagonist looked like emo/goth people.

We are not vested in the characters because most people aren't surrounded by 50 people that look like GQ cover models, devoid of any acting skills or abilities.

You're exaggerating but you're complaining about what's seen in almost 99.9% of movies released these days. Almost every film is filled with good looking actors. Hello. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and Angelina Jolie? They star in movies in which we cheer for them even though they all look like models. This is a weak complaint for the film. Oh, and you can say the same for the Scream movies. Most of the cast looked like models as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>