Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (2010)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FINGERING FREDDY for a NOT-SO-SCARY REMAKE...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FINGERING FREDDY for a NOT-SO-SCARY REMAKE...
    Posted: April 30 2010 at 6:26pm
Movie Preview Critic nails this one right on the head -- Here's a LINK.  

And I agree that we should be calling these movies "re-s***s" or "re-rapes"!! 
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 12:21pm
I know you guys are excited to hear my thoughts on this remake (don't deny it). Well, here's my PRE-review (which means I'll post an official one later): Will I get stoned if I say this remake is better than the original?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 12:50pm
Kid, knock yourself out. We all know what your movie watching habbits are. We all know you were nearly peeing your pants with excitement the second you found out this movie was being made. You don't seriously care what critics say; you were going to see it see no matter what. And you're going to give the usual 6 stars or higher rating, mostly because it had better SFX than the original movie or was more "entertaining", blah, blah, blah. So have at it hoss, just don't act all surprised when no one agrees with you and your street credit here continues to spiral downwards.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 12:53pm
Can I ask you something? Did you really think the original film was that good? I mean, the mediocre performances  (with an exception of Englund), the cheesy effects, and the outright terrible ending that ruined the whole point of what happened previously? I never considered the original film to be all that great because of those main flaws.  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 1:57pm
My official review:

Nancy, Kris, Quentin, Jesse and Dean all live on Elm Street. At night, they're all having the same dream--of the same man, wearing a tattered red and green striped sweater, a beaten fedora half-concealing a disfigured face and a gardener's glove with knives for fingers. And they're all hearing the same frightening voice...one by one, he terrorizes them within the curved walls of their dreams, where the rules are his, and the only way out is to wake up.

I have never been a fan of the NOES franchise, nor have I ever considered the original film to be a classic. The film had mediocre to terrible performances, with an exception of Robert Englund, of course, cheesy special effects, and an ending so horrible it ruined the whole point of the film. When Platinum Dunes announced that they were going to remake this film, I was interested. The fact that they casted Jackie Earle Haley to play the new Freddy Krueger as well as trying to get the film back to a serious tone only peaked my excitement. After seeing this film, I'm not afraid to say that this remake, or re-imagining, is better than the original. Yes, I said the deadliest phrase in the movie world.

The performances are much more improved from the teens. Rooney Mara and Kyle Gallner are the two leads and they do a terrific job. We, the audience, feel sympathy for them, because they can really act. Jackie Earle Haley, although not better than Robert Englund, does a great job as well. What different between him and Englund is that Haley plays Krueger as a much darker and sinister villain, which I dug quite a bit. Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, and Kellan Lutz are the remaining teens in this film, all pulling off convincing performances.

The seriousness of the film worked because it was pretty scary. I was clutching the arm rests when the nightmare scenes were going on and my heart was racing. The death scenes are pretty brutal as well. However, saying that, the first half of the film was pretty rushed. I don’t know if this counts as a complaint but there were just too many nightmare sequences, one after another after another after another. Thankfully, the film slows down after a couple of teens get killed off in the middle mark. From there on, the film actually gets better and the third act is just refreshing and thrilling. This is pretty odd because films are usually better in the beginning and get worse in the end. Although the origin of Freddy is similar to the original, we get to see more of what happened to him in flashbacks, something I liked a lot.

The visual effects were also improved. Now, I'm usually not the person that would say better visual effects equal a good movie, but in a series like this, the surreal nightmare sequences HINGE upon having convincing effects to cross the worlds of dream and reality. Something this film explored that this series never went deeper into was the literal parallelism of dream and reality. There's a scene in this film where you can see what's happening in reality while the character is dreaming and that's something I would have liked to have seen in the previous films, but I guess the technology never caught up until now. However, saying that, there was one scene in the film where CGI was used that looked horrible where as in the original film, practical effects were used to make the scene much scarier.

The make-up effect for the new Freddy is more realistic than the original Freddy, where the new on looked like a burned victim. However, I still prefer the original look of Freddy. The soundtrack is reminiscent of the original. It still has the creepy underlying feel is always does. The cinematography and lighting is slick thanks to music video director Samuel Bayer, who knows what he’s doing. There are some really great scenes here.

I would be lying if I said this remake was bad, because it isn’t. It’s a well made film that actually pulls off some great scares and while the film is a bit messy at first, it gets better toward the latter half of the film. The performances and visual effects are improved in this film and while Haley may not be better than Englund, he did a great job as the new Freddy Krueger. Overall, Nightmare fans will get a kick out of this and those who are interested in this film should give it a watch. Oh, and I’ll say this again: It’s better than the original film. 7/10

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 2:34pm
Actually, I never liked any of the "Nightmare" movies. Not one. The fact that the serial killer acts like a stand-up comedian doesn't help make it a "horror" movie. By then it's just self-parody. And the reason why the first was so flawed was because it was an indie movie that was made with almost no budget, same as "Halloween" and all slashers before. That's why these pieces of s*** movies are made, because they cost next to nothing and will usually get their money back.

PS: I find it kinda funny (or "laughable", I believe is the phrase you like to use), that you think the ending to the first movie ruined the movie as a whole. Yet, at the same time, you proclaim that the ending to "Next" was so ingenius and well-crafted, even though that ending also ruined the whole point of the movie.  

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Can I ask you something? Did you really think the original film was that good? I mean, the mediocre performances  (with an exception of Englund), the cheesy effects, and the outright terrible ending that ruined the whole point of what happened previously? I never considered the original film to be all that great because of those main flaws.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 2:36pm
Called it! There are three sure things in life: death, taxes, and MWG's taste in movies!  

I would be lying if I said this remake was bad, because it isn’t. It’s a well made film that actually pulls off some great scares and while the film is a bit messy at first, it gets better toward the latter half of the film. The performances and visual effects are improved in this film and while Haley may not be better than Englund, he did a great job as the new Freddy Krueger. Overall, Nightmare fans will get a kick out of this and those who are interested in this film should give it a watch. Oh, and I’ll say this again: It’s better than the original film. 7/10

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 5:10pm
Actually, this film costs $30 million to make.

I respectfully disagree.  

PS: I find it kinda funny (or "laughable", I believe is the phrase you like to use), that you think the ending to the first movie ruined the movie as a whole. Yet, at the same time, you proclaim that the ending to "Next" was so ingenius and well-crafted, even though that ending also ruined the whole point of the movie.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 5:11pm
Do you actually read my reviews, or do you just look at the numbers in the end? Maybe I shouldn't put any numbers so you'll HAVE to read my review in order to get an imaginary number in your head.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Called it! There are sure things in life: death, taxes, and MWG's taste in movies.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 5:12pm
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 5:21pm
You should know FREDDY wasn't that funny guy in the first movie...and also in NEW NIGHTMARE.   

The fact that the serial killer acts like a stand-up comedian doesn't help make it a "horror" movie. By then it's just self-parody.

Was that your review?

Watch this review. It's great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hp-_elVi9A&playnext_from=TL&videos=LFVZMZ4g4Go&feature=subu 
Was that you?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 6:07pm
No, it was not my review -- It's just a guy whose opinions about movies are very, very similar to that of the Movie Preview Critic, and I posted that video because even he liked this film. I have to note that he loathed Transformers 2 and GI Joe so I wanted Burned to notice -- even people who loathe many of the movies Hollywood puts out like this movie.  
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 6:22pm
Yeah, $30 million is the average budget of non-wannabe blockbuster Hollywood movies. Yes, it's a lot of money to us average joes, but to the studios, it's pocket change and will easily be made back. 

Actually, this film costs $30 million to make.

Okay, if you say so. I just don't see how the "Nightmare" ending ruined the whole movie, while according to the "Next" ending, 80% of the movie you watched didn't happen.

I respectfully disagree.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 6:27pm
Yeah, and if you've read one review, you've read them all. "This was good, this was good, this was good," etc.  

Overall, it's not that bad a movie. High star rating."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 6:28pm
True, but then again, the power of sequels. They are created for the sole reason of milking the original movie for as much money as possible, so they just had to make him funny.  

Originally posted by Vits

The fact that the serial killer acts like a stand-up comedian doesn't help make it a "horror" movie. By then it's just self-parody.
You should know FREDDY wasn't that funny guy in the first movie...and also in NEW NIGHTMARE.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 6:29pm
Oh, I don't doubt that there are people who liked this movie. However, just because people like something, doesn't mean it's any good.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>