Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on ARTHUR (2011)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NatalieJoy View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NatalieJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)
    Posted: May 09 2011 at 11:54pm
I find Russel Brand funny.
AJ Fox View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote AJ Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 9:24am
Sorry guys but I can't stand Russel Brand, never have done and probably never will. His humour just doesn't grab me. As for Arthur 2011, I was (and still am) a massive fan of the original (giving my age away now) 
sallyliao View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sallyliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:07am
Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found this somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie!"  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 8:34am
Originally posted by tomross

I agree that it should win the Razzie Award :)
Which one(s)?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
sharondiskin View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sharondiskin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:42am
I have not seen it yet but the tralers look good and a few clips I have seen look funny

Sharon 
tomross View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2011 at 7:04pm
I really do like Russell Brand, he was good in Despicable Me & Hop, but Arther is just a bomb,  It was hard not to walk out of the place!  I sucked it up till the end but I agree that it should win the Razzie Award :)
richnicol View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote richnicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2011 at 9:47am
Awful awful film - the references to Star Wars for example and with Brand as lead man we all knew it was going to be shockingly bad. I cant believe i wasted my money going to see this film!
farecat View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote farecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2011 at 12:41pm
Too bad. I thought Brand was on a serious roll.
No60MdiS View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote No60MdiS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 11:25pm
wooohoooo.. Star Wars.. !!! I love it!!
Norma R. Madison
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 7:28am
At least Russell Brand was funny in Despicable Me and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But I still don't like the guy...  

Pictures move, do they?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 5:20am
Good one! Clap  LOL  

Originally posted by DaveThePhotoGuy

Russel Brand is about as funny as getting an arrow through your neck..then finding out there
is a gas bill tied to it.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
DaveThePhotoGuy View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote DaveThePhotoGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 4:08am
This movie sucks the sweat from a dead man's balls...then asks for seconds!  

And Russel Brand is about as funny as getting an arrow through your neck..then finding out there
is a gas bill tied to it.  

I think they kinda sound like Depeche Mode
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 9:21pm
I pretty much agree with saturnwatcher. As everyone here has been saying, the only thing "new" about this remake is that it's now jam-packed with modern day pop culture references. 

What makes it any different from being a big budget Seltzerberg movie? Not much!  

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 6:52pm
First, welcome to the board, DefMan.  

Now, to answer your question, Hollywouldn't has adopted a policy of taking the cheap and easy road rather than taking a chance on trying much of anything new. The script is already more or less written, and all it costs to bring in a couple of bright chimpanzees to modify it slightly is a bunch of bananas. The studios have such a low opinion of us that they figure we'd rather watch a rehash of something we've already seen than allow ourselves to be intellectually challenged by original material. In essence, they think we are a bunch of sheep who will endlessly fork over our cash to watch the same thing over and over.  

Originally posted by DefMan

I'm not in love with the Dudley Moore version, but I'm really wondering what was the inspiration to remake it?

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 5:12pm
Ah, Peter Travers' review -- now that's more like it!  

Originally posted by Vits

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:56pm
Richard Roeper gave it a B:"It would be impossible to top the original ARTHUR but this modern version is a consistently funny and sweet if not overly inspired remake".

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".
Originally posted by Michaels

Sounds like a "pity review," if you ask me...
Maybe it is.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>