Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on ARTHUR (2011)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)
    Posted: April 07 2011 at 9:53am
LIKE the RAZZIE®  "WINNING" 1988 SEQUEL to the 1981 ORIGINAL ARTHUR, THIS FILM IS APPARENTLY "ON the ROCKS." HERE's WHERE to GET THOSE ROCKS OFF YER CHEST by POSTING YER OPINION of the 2011 REMAKE...   

AND HERE's the LINK to READ the OFFICIAL RAZZIE® TAKE on ARTHUR (2011)...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 10:54am
R.T. gave this 20%:"An irritating,unnecessary remake that demonstrates the libertine charm Russel Brand exudes in supporting roles turn against him when he's star of the show".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:35am
You of all people should have known that this was going to be a stinker when they put Star Wars and Batman references in the trailer (Seriously, those have been DONE TO DEATH!)
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 11:37am
Yeah, say what you want about not liking the very first "Arthur" movie, but the sequel made the original look like an even bigger masterpiece. And this remake seems like it will make us love the original movie even more as well!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 12:19pm
Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found that it somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie."
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 1:48pm
Knew this would be on here.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 5:04pm
I think I made that point before. Rather than try to be funny by itself, it's like "Hey, remember that other great movie that wasn't "Arthur", look, we made a reference to it! Ha-ha!".

Originally posted by Berrynoia

Looking at the Star Wars and Batman references in the commercials, I found that it somewhat reminded me of Seltzerberg.  It is, after all, another "Remake Movie."
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2011 at 10:54pm

Well done Mr. Brand... You have now earned yourself a seat on Razzie Award Airlines Flight 001 to next year's ceremony. See you in the 'Worst Actor' category (hopefully)...

You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:38am
It is sailing along at 21% on RT and could fall further. The critics rave:

There are so many reasons to dislike Arthur that it's hard to pick just one.--Dallas Morning News

Never have I needed a drink so badly. --NY Times

A symbol of Hollywood at its most creatively bankrupt.--Metromix.com

Why? --The Movie Minute
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 8:16am
Roger Ebert gave this ***/****:"Russell Brand takes on a thankless task and earns at least some thanks..."  

27years View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote 27years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 11:50am
I like Russell Brand but not as an actor. I know his humour isnt everyones cup of tea but I find him hilarious when he is just himself. I reiterate about not liking him as an actor though!!
DefMan View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote DefMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:42pm
For some reason, I was a fan of Brand in "Get Him to the Greek" and felt that he played an alcoholic musician really well there. 
However, the concept of Brand as an alcoholic billionaire just feels like bad typecasting. I'm not in love with the Dudley Moore version, but I'm really wondering what was the inspiration to remake it? What was so original about putting Brand into a role he did better a year ago?
It seems weird, but with this and "Hop," I just got a quick overdose of fatigue of him and wouldn't mind not seeing him in movies for two years.

Also, I can't help but feel that since this movie has a way different feel and sense of everything than the Moore version, that maybe it just happened to be another movie about a billionaire playboy who just happened to be named Arthur, then maybe the comparison wouldn't be so harsh. It would be bad, but the choice to point out the numerous blatant differences would be more acceptable. It may get compared to "Arthur," though I see it more as the next version of "Mr. Deeds."
Boy, this movie shot itself in the foot.

Also, after "Sex and the City 2" proved how diluted rich people can be in movies, what are the odds that this will restore any faith in the wealthy community.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:54pm
Considering that the "wealthy community" is buying off politicians and having them tax the poor and middle class more so they get away without having to pay any taxes of their own, I'm pretty sure the rich will continue to be the most hated of social classes.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 2:55pm
Ebert's comments sound like a "pity review," if you ask me... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 3:56pm
Richard Roeper gave it a B:"It would be impossible to top the original ARTHUR but this modern version is a consistently funny and sweet if not overly inspired remake".

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".
Originally posted by Michaels

Sounds like a "pity review," if you ask me...
Maybe it is.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2011 at 5:12pm
Ah, Peter Travers' review -- now that's more like it!  

Originally posted by Vits

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The limp-d--- remake of 1981's ARTHUR- starring Russell Brand in the happy-drunk role indelibly created by Dudley Moore - sounds promising, but it ends in disaster".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>