Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Forum Discussion & Add'l Info on ARTHUR (2011)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote JasmineJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of ARTHUR (2011)
    Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:44am
I agree with princesssakura, I also don't like the remake. . .

JT4123 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote JT4123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:33pm
Ok, I simply had to register to the forum for once and let if off my chest...

I almost hate myself for wasting 2 hours of my life watching this painful remake. I would loved to have gotten my money back. What an unforgivable waste of my time that was Dead... I would rather had gone to a pub and drunk the money than seeing it. 

I have to confess that I really love the 1981 Arther and as far as Dudley Moore is concerned I do not believe anyone could have played the roll better than him. 

I had to go home and watch the original just to come my soul... Tongue      
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:39pm
Welcome to the board, and I hope you will offer your views on other films as well. You are correct on this one. It was a film that left us wishing we were drunker than the main character. That would have made it somewhat painless, even considering the problems associated with waking up the next morning.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
pompapah View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote pompapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 7:25am
Ask yourself this: What would you think if you'd seen the new version first?  

Although no one could resist loving Dudley Moore...  
ecigs View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ecigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 11:34am
Russell Brand being an actor is cool... I like it.
Annyl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Annyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 10:58pm
And this remake seems like it will make us love the original movie even more as well!
helen21stc View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote helen21stc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 3:25am
Whilst it has a few moments, most of Arthur didn't work for me. I can't make up my mind whether I like Russell Brand as a comedian or not - he's certainly got some originality, and his delivery is very quick fire which appeals to me -- but a lot of it's just not funny. 

The movie is certainly memorable - unfortunately - but it's the director's job to get the performances from the actors, and I'm sure Brand could have been far better if he'd been handled right. Apparently, he's very unpredictable and doesn't take direction well, but so many brilliant people are like that and a film director should be capable of handling this type of person, as well as the Helen Mirrens of the film world.

kirstenplotkin View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote kirstenplotkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 1:01am
I saw the original with Dudley Moore when it was first released. I thought then it was a very average movie.  I was amazed to find that it had been remade.  I can tolerate Russell Brand as a standup comic, but as an actor and the main star of a movie... Well!  I'm speechless.  
ShanYao View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShanYao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2011 at 11:46pm
We shall see...   Support you...

alexaf View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote alexaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 9:27am
Almost as bad as the first Arthur!

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:10pm
Which is considered a classic!
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:43pm
That won Dudley Moore an Oscar.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 3:56pm
I am pretty sure that Duddley Moore never won an oscar...
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 4:28pm
Sorry, my bad. He was nominated for one but at least the original got him a Golden Globe.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2011 at 3:48am
I really hope Greta Gerwig doesn't get nominated for this. She was the only decent thing in this movie....
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2011 at 8:59am
Got around to seeing this and here's my review. It will be done in the style of my Trannies 3 review. 

The good: 
Greta Gerwig: She's possibly the only true good thing about it. 
Helen Mirren: She was okay as Hobson, not as good as Gielgud was in the original though. 

The bad: 
Nick Nolte: He's not very good and it's obvious that he needs money. 
The script: While the script doesn't match Trannies 3 in it's idiocy, it's still pretty bad.
The song: I hate this song more than words can describe. The only reason it's not in the ugly section because it's not as bad as the original version by Christopher "Grammy theif" Cross.

The ugly: 
Russell Brand: He's so bad, it makes Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him To The Greek look like flukes.
Jennifer Garner: While Garner herself isn't ugly, her acting is. The scene where she tries to seduce Arthur is probably the worst. Easily her worst performance since Elektra.
The pop-culture references: While it's not as bad as the Tranformer scene from Gulliver's Travels, they references are clumsily shoe-horned in and distracting. Also, during the scene where's his dressed-up like Batman, his costume has nipples. We all know my feelings on Bat-nipples.

Overall, Arthur is a pointless remake. Other than Brand, Garner, and Worst Remake or Rip-off, I don't see this getting many nods. Grade: C-
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>