Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & ADD'L INFO on GREEN LANTERN
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of GREEN LANTERN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of GREEN LANTERN
    Posted: July 04 2011 at 5:47am
Originally posted by JoeBacon

I'm wondering if MILLIE THE MODEL is waiting in the wings.
Once they run out of A, B, and C List characters ... probably!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 6:13pm

I'd do a cute intro, but I can't think of anything clever that I haven't already done, so let's get to ripping this a new asshole!

The good:

The other Lanterns: All the Lanterns that aren't Fail Jordan are well handled. As I said in my short review from before I started my review style, Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilawog and Mark Strong as Sinestro are the highlights.

Some of the action: Some of it is handled well, like the end fight with Parallax. The rest, not so much.

And uhhhh Blake Lively sure is hot: I'm grasping for straws on this one. For movies that I consider very bad, I try to have at least three in each category.

The bad:

Ryan Reynolds: He is exceptionally mis-cast. I don't think thatnhis mis-cast-ness is because of his comedic nature: Chris Evans is mostly in rom-coms and he was great as Captain America. Of course, Evans was working with a script from the writers of the Narnia movies while Reynolds was working with a script from the director of Life As We Know It... and three other guys.

Blake Lively's acting: Yes, Ms. Lively is very pretty. But acting, no. It's especially odd because she was decent in The Town. Of course, I've only seen her in those two movies so maybe one of the performances is a fluke.

Martin Campbell: Here's something I've determined about Martin Campbell: if it's not James Bond or Zorro, stay the f*ck away.

The ugly: (note: there's a lot of swearing in this section)

The script, dear God, the script: Everything horrible about this movie can be traced to this God-forsaken script. From four writers comes a script that doesn't know what it wants to be. With four points to law the blame, I'm gonna aim it all at...

Greg Berlanti: He's the aforemented Life As We Know It f*cker. There's a lot of scenes that seem like they belong more in a sh*tty TV show than in f*cking superhero movie. Berlanti wrote for a lot sh*tty TV shows like Everwood and Brothers & Sisters so he's to blame for these scenes. And, to show how evil H-Wood is, this f*cker's gonna direct a Flash movie. There's probably gonna be a scene where Barry Allen goes on a double date using his powers. The worst part is I know this is gonna f*cking happen.

Pam Dixon; casting non-superstar!: When a tight cast is needed, going with the casting director of Ace Ventura, Jr. and Georgia Rule is not a good idea. While Dixon's sins aren't as epic as Berlanti's, they're still there.

WOW! I needed to do that. There's currently a sequel in production, but there's a silver-lining: that f*cker Berlanti isn't attached to it. Whoo! Grade: C.

Next-up: The Dilemma!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 9:57am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Yes, Ms. Lively is very pretty. But acting, no. It's especially odd because she was decent in The Town. Of course, I've only seen her in those two movies so maybe one of the performances is a fluke.
I haven't seen either movie.She was decent in the TRAVELING PANTS movies,but she's awful in GOSSIP GIRL.I'd say it's not entirely her fault because most of the characters are so one-dimensional trying to be two-dimensional the actors don't even try to emote.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 12:44pm
I have seen most of Blake Lively's work. "Gossip Girl" is crap no matter who stars in it. She was okay in "Traveling Pants 1 & 2", but that's because it's not all that hard to play a hot girl when you're a hot girl. "The Town" was her best performance (all 4 scenes of her), but that is a case of right screenplay and right director to get that performance out of her. Overall, she's just the hot girl who Hollywood wants to make the new "It" girl just in time before Olivia Wilde or Emma Stone lose that title. Oh, and as for Blake's nude cell phone photos ... yummy! God bless young starlets for being stupid enough to pose naked and the hackers to put those photos online; it's better than Playboy!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 3:45pm
It also doesn't help when the movie's parent company spends 3 or 4 decades telling the population that only Superman and Batman matter. Then they finally realize they have an universe full of other characters to use, but those characters have been so underdeveloped in other forms of media that when one finally gets his own movie, he's treated as some throwaway, and turns out to be the biggest failure among comic book movies this year. 
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
orly1971 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote orly1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2011 at 10:19am
Ryan Reynolds has had two big box office flops this year, The Green lantern and The Change Up. His chances at a Razzie nom for Worst Actor seem strong, but then again, so does Nicholas Cage.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 11:40am
I just saw itt.Review coming soon*. 

For Your Consideration: 
-Actor: No. I haven't seen THE CHANGE-UP, but if he does get nominated, it would be mostly for this movie,right? 
-Actress(or Supp. Actress?): No. 
-Supp. Actor: No. 
-Director: Maybe. 
-Screenplay: Yes.
-Couple/Ensemble: No. 
-Remake/Rip-Off: You tell me. I'm not entirely familiar with the comics, so I don't know how much it differs from them, or more importantly,how much of a bad name it gives them. 
-Mis-Use Of 3D: From now on, I'll stop writing this one unless I actually see the movie in 3-D.  
-CGI Ridden Movie: Yes,as long as this category is more about the excessive FX than the movie overall.
-Worst Picture: Meh.

Originally posted by Vits

My main reason to see this is to see if GREEN LANTERN becomes my favorite movie superhero (the only contender so far is DR. MANHATTAN).

Those 2 and SPIDER-MAN are still contenders.All I need to do now is re-watch SPAWN after may years.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Berlanti wrote for a lot sh*tty TV shows like Everwood and Brothers & Sisters so he's to blame for these scenes.

I never saw either of them,but I don't recall hearing bad reviews about them.Were there?

Edit:*Wow!Sooner than expected!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 2:45pm
NOW THAT YOU DON'T NEED YOUR JET,CAN I HAVE IT?(**/*****):

Starring:Ryan Reynolds as GREEN LANTERN.

So what is the problem with this movie?While not the worst of the year,it's probably the most dissapointing.They had one of the best super-heroes of all times,and all they did was a forgettable movie.And this isn't the '90s when most super-hero movies were forgettable and no harm was done,nor is it the last decade when one forgettable super-hero movie among so many others wasn't a big deal.But now is the time when we really need most super-hero movies to be good.Well,we're getting there.

The FX are well crafted,but they're too obvious.Everytime you look at the screen,you know you're watching computer-generated imagery,and it takes away the realism.Regardless of it,the action is only mildly thrilling.And the music is a little forced.

Director Martin Campbell plays safe here.He actually repeats shots,and thinks it's OK because he's doing it in different times and places.

Reynolds is miscast.It may not seem very clear because the character was re-written to fit him,but he is.Blake Lively is by no means good,but she gives more energy to her performance than in 4 seasons of GOSSIP GIRL.Luckily,the chemistry between those 2 is good,and we got a fine performance from Peter Sarsgaard.

Except for the lead,most characters are thinly written.Like HECTOR:When he's introduced,he becomes possesed right away,and then they start working on the character.It should've been the other way around,so we could get to know his motifs.Although,we never really know if his actions are controlled by PARALLAX or not.And SINESTRO doesn't seem to be as thinly-written as the others...until you watch the post-credits scenes where he turns evil out of nowhere.And something that it's even more thinly-written is the characters's relationships.They never really explain why HECTOR hates his father,or why nobody else seems to care that those 2 died.I could list more plot-holes,but I'll just say it has one of the most common plot holes:If characters aren't on-screen,they don't exist.

Grades:D in the U.S. and 4,0 in Chile.
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 5:47pm
Now the sequel/remake/reboot that WB had planned for this is in up in the air. It's no wonder they don't often make superhero movies outside of Superman and Batman -- because they almost always fail!  
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:23am
I noticed on the Worst New Movie on DVD of the Week, Head RAZZberry acts like no-one was anticipating this (WTF?) I also notice that he acts like there's some prior adaption to the character (animated movies don't count). I'm also really pissed that he had the nerve to name this as the #1 Worst Movie on DVD this week  -- is he saying that GL is worse than Zookeeper??  

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:25am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The way screenwriting credits work under current WGA rules, at least some of Berlanti's work has to have been in the final film for him to have received the credit he did -- So, no, "everything" wasn't "done by one guy." Next time, maybe you should "research this stuff" before you go casting aspersions on others...

So what Neveldine and Taylor were credited for Jonah Hex, and the majority of their script was change. Berlanti script (which he cowrote) was finaziled by Goldberg (who changed much of the script). So no not really.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 10:31am
To me,Reynolds didn't seem miscast because his role was written with him (or at least someone similar) in mind. However,the HAL JORDAN character in this movie has nothing to do with the one from the comic books.
icegirl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote icegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 7:10am
Ugh guys, maybe you are not fans of superhero movies, but I am... and it pains me when lame screenwriters/directors  butcher them in this way. I mean, come on, how hard can it be to read a fudging script and see it sucks?? Or if you can't do it, give the script to a five year old...I'm sure even he can point you in the right direction.

I'm so pissed, because I love Fantsy-SF-Superhero movies, and it's really hard  to come across good ones. Michael Bay absoluttely ruinned Transformers (I really hope I never run into him, I'm not sure what I would do) and this guys ruinned Green Lantern. I mean, at least in the other superhero movies the acting was Ok (I liked Thor, I tought the acting was good, even Captain America  was ok, altough Chris Evans is not a good actor)..but in this..my god.. Blake Lively ? Seriously? And what the hell was with Peter Sarsgaard's character?? That was so stupid..

I'm sorry for all the frustration...I'm trying to prepare for a letdown from The Avengers ... altough I hope I'm wrong. 
icegirl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote icegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 7:28am

Director Martin Campbell plays safe here.
That's an understatement. 

Luckily,the chemistry between those 2 is good,and we got a fine performance from Peter Sarsgaard.

You're joking, right? What chemistry? And Peter Sarsgaard's character was ridiculously stupid...it actually reminded me of that lame parodies of superhero movies..

Except for the lead,most characters are thinly written.I could list more plot-holes,but I'll just say it has one of the most common plot holes:If characters aren't on-screen,they don't exist.

The hole movie is a giant plot-hole. Nothing comes together, as for the development of the characters.. let's just say that if they wanted me to feel the pain of the main character, the struggle with how his father died..his fear or whatever the hell they wanted to inspire...they failled miserably.

Yes, maybe it's not the worst movie of the year, but it's sure as hell the worst superhero movie. 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by icegirl

And Peter Sarsgaard's character was ridiculously stupid...it actually reminded me of that lame parodies of superhero movies..

Yes, the character was very cartoonish. But I felt Sarsgaard did his best with the material.
lucy520 View Drop Down
Berry Good Friend
Berry Good Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote lucy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 8:11pm
I guess Warner Bros should just stick to Batman.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>