Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & ADD'L INFO on MR. POPPER's PENGUINS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS
    Posted: June 09 2011 at 10:03am
GO AHEAD, ATTACK IT LIKE a FLOCK of REALLY PISSED-OFF PENGUINS!  

AND, IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, HERE's the LINK to SEE the OFFICIAL RAZZIE® TAKE on MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 10:14am
I can see this being at least as bad as The Number 23 (2007) and worse than Yes Man (2008). If this gets negative reviews (it likely will), I will say to the cast and crew, "Eat penguin sh(beep), you a(beep) spelunkers!"
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 12:46pm

Why do they always have to re-use the worthless father angle in these kind of movies?

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 3:37pm
The trailer was awful! Not because it wasn't funny (though it wasn't), but because for the first time in my life a trailer gave me no reason at all to see the movie. OK, so a bunch of penguins invade Jim Carrey's apartment. That's it?? 

I know that anything can be a premise for a movie, but that doesn't mean it should!  
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:35pm
This movie is SO going to be overshadowed by the other penguin movie of the year, "Happy Feet 2". Although, with "Happy Feet", I think everything that needed to be said was already said in the first movie.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 5:45am
I have mixed feelings on this movie, judging by the trailer. I'll just wait till the film comes out, but if it sucks, give me the book any day.
Pictures move, do they?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2011 at 9:19am
Why?!Was the COUNT in the movie that different from the books?Well,his GRINCH was too,but that didn't mean he gave a bad performance.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Sounds like you have not read the LEMONY SNICKET novels. I read all 13 of them aloud to my son when he was younger, and loved their smart alecky tone, the respect they showed for their readers' intelligence by using large words and then defining them humorously, and the goose-bumpy-fun sense of menace that loomed over everything. 

Carrey and his cohorts took this brilliant material and turned it into CRAP -- Excuses for mugging, lame physical humor and dipsh*t jokes. They mooshed three of the series' novels into a single film, and then had the nerve to lop the wedding that ended the initial book and shoved it all the way to the point in the overall plot where the third novel ended. 

The near total lack of respect for the source material was, I think, an enormous factor in the first LEMONY film being the only one. By heaping such scorn on the books young movie-goers knew and loved, the film's makers blew their chance at having a HARRY POTTER-like franchise...

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

WE WERE SURPRISED WHEN CARREY's HIDEOUS MOVIE of THE GRINCH DIDN'T "WIN" EITHER of the RAZZIES® for WHICH IT WAS NOMINATED. WE WERE DISAPPOINTED WHEN CARREY FAILED to GET a WORST ACTOR NOD for HIS INDEFENSIBLE BIG SCREEN RAPING of the FIRST 3 LEMONY SNICKET BOOKS
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 12:15am

All I've got to say to Carrey's career, if 'MR. POPPER's PENGUINS' bombs:  

"Good Morning. And in case we don't see you again, good afternoon, good evening...and goodnight!".
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 1:43pm
Hang on.You said you wanted Carrey to be nominated as Worst Actor. He gave a good performance in both movies, even if the characters were wrongly written...    

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

The near total lack of respect for the source material was, I think, an enormous factor in the first LEMONY film being the only one.

SNICKET had good reviews. I liked it(7/10), but when I found out it was made from 3 books, I wasn't surprised, based on the movie's confusing narrative. Some well-reviewed movies have been nominated, but you could've nominated SNICKET for Worst Screenplay or Worst Remake,but not Worst Picture.  

I heard there wasn't a sequel because it stayed in development hell for too long (buying the rights, deciding if the script would be written from one or more books, and which ones, worrying about dissatisfied fans like you, etc.). Now Liam Aiken and Emily Browning are too old to reprise their roles. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: My objection to Carrey in both GRINCH and SNICKET is that he took two characters every literate child is familiar with, and turned them into versions of himself -- how you can call these "good performances" when the actor should have known better than to accept either part is beyond me. An integral part of any actor's job is knowing which roles to accept and which to reject -- which he is capable of enacting, and which he is blatantly unsuited for. 

While many found Carrey's Grinch amusing, I found him grating about 20 minutes in, and the film was nearly 2 hours long. As for Count Olaf, in the novels he was an elderly man whose evil seemed obvious only to the 3 children who were the novels' main characters. As played by Carrey, he was about as subtle in his "evilness" as Cruella deVille in the animated 101 DALMATIANS. Besides being about 30 years to young for the part (and the make-up did not solve this problem) Carrey apparently was unwilling to play the role as being purely, hate-ably, despicably malicious. Like too many a comic actor, Carrey wanted to be "liked," even when playing an irredeemable villain -- and Olaf was supposed to be the embodiment of UN-likeable.  

So, NO, I disagree with you on the "merit" of either of these Carrey performances... 

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 12:53pm
I agree (yes this is my first time posting, but I've been looking at these forums for years I just decided to finally create a account) I don't understand Headrazzberry's hatred of Jim Carrey (A series of unforunate events is a poor example because it actually had good reviews). Sure this movies looks pretty bad, but he tried to target his last two movies and that went nowhere (Horton and Christmas). Also Jim Carrey getting a nomination for A series of Unforunate Events wouldn't have been pleasing for me (Maybe the reason they didn't make a sequel was because of Jim Carrey's anti-sequel routine, and simply couldn't recast in time).
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:17pm
Carrey has been in a lot of adaptations.It's true that he applies his trademarks,but I'm pretty sure it's the writers fault if the characters don't resemble the books.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 2:47pm
The problem with Jim Carrey is that he will forever be remembered for his roles of being the human cartoon character, be it making funny faces, making odd noises, or just making his body into a pretzel. Yes, it was all funny back in 1994, but it has gotten stale since then. And like Adam Sandler's manchild rountine, Carrey is trapped in that sterotype of the silly man, and audiences won't pay to see him do drama or play any other kind of role. When comedians go to the well too many times, they become one-trick ponies, and that could be the ruin of their careers.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 2:58pm
Carrey is an incredible actor and a brilliant comedian. I don't care what anybody on this forum says.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 10:10am
 I get the weird feeling that this is nothing more than the backstory for some future installment of Batman.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2011 at 10:16am
....on the other hand, when Mrs. Penguin's Poppers hits the theaters, I'm there.LOL
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 6:04pm
Currently, Popper's got a 71% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so this may be good despite it's toilet jokes. I'm sure it will.
Pictures move, do they?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>