Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & ADD'L INFO on MR. POPPER's PENGUINS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum DISCUSSION of MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum DISCUSSION of MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS
    Posted: June 15 2011 at 10:18pm
I don't know as more reviews come in I think it'll end around a 45% on R.T. Really thought Green Lantern would be WMOTW.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 8:37am
As of this morning, Mr Popper had fallen to 47% with 19 reviews counted. That is still a small sample, but I doubt that it is going to climb from there.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

As of this morning, Mr Popper had fallen to 47% with 19 reviews counted. That is still a small sample, but I doubt that it is going to climb from there.
I never thought I would see the day when a Jim Carrey movie co-starring penguins would be higher rated on RT than the "Green Lantern" movie! How do you mess that up!?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 4:47pm
R.T. has a concensus:"Blandly inoffensive and thoroughly predictable,it could've been worse...but it should have been better".

Roger Ebert(*,5/****):"A stupefying dumb family movie proving that penguins have limited charisma as pets".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 8:37am
I thought from the trailers it looked okay.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2011 at 5:58pm
Richard Roeper gave it a C-:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/mrpopperspenguins.aspx
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by whatsthepoint

Carrey is an incredible actor and a brilliant comedian. I don't care what anybody on this forum says.
I'm responding to this tonight only because I am bored. The word "incredible" is an extremely strong adjective. Perhaps you could give me one example of Carrey turning in one performance that qualifies as worthy of that word, let alone a string of them? And no, I am not going to accept Man on the Moon inspite of Carrey's Oscar nomination, which was a very misguided gesture on the part of AMPAS. I had the pleasure of meeting Andy Kaufman, and Jim Carrey is no Andy Kaufman. Brillant comedian? Evidently all that is required to achieve that status is the ability to make faces and pass off body function jokes. I don't think I have ever seen anything in a Carrey movie that made me laugh. A truly brilliant comic has wide appeal. I can provide a lengthy list of men and women who have achieved that status. Carrey would not be on it. I have made this point before: Personal taste does not convey universal appeal. I like the movie UHF. Frankly, it was a piece of crap comedy that made me laugh. The fact that I liked it doesn't make it a masterpiece in the genre. Nor does your enjoyment of Carrey's work make him either an incredible actor or brilliant comedian.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 5:34am
The only other serious role of Jim Carrey's was "The Truman Show". Although tha movie doesn't put him in the category of brilliant comedian either.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 9:27am
It will remain at 45% in R.T..Contender?
Originally posted by Michaels

The only other serious role of Jim Carrey's was "The Truman Show".
What about SIMON BIRCH,THE MAJESTIC,ETERNAL SUNSHINE,THE NUMBER 23 and I LOVE YOU,PHILLIP MORRIS?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 10:48am
True, those movies do prove that he CAN act. However, they don't prove that he's an "incredible" actor, just a better-than-average one.  

Originally posted by Vits

What about SIMON BIRCH,THE MAJESTIC,ETERNAL SUNSHINE,THE NUMBER 23 and I LOVE YOU,PHILLIP MORRIS?
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 5:18pm
True comedic genius remains laugh out loud funny throughout the ages and with each viewing of a movie. Carrey's stuff might make you laugh out loud the first time you see it, but years later, you're lucky if you can work up a chuckle upon seeing that movie again.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 8:33am
Carrey also won a Golden Globe for Truman Show and Man in the Moon. Wink  

Originally posted by Michaels

The only other serious role of Jim Carrey's was "The Truman Show". Although tha movie doesn't put him in the category of brilliant comedian either.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 9:38am
Sorry, WTP, but here at the Razzies (and throughout most of the entertainment industry), The Golden Globes get no respect. Mostly, it's because their voters are in the 90 member range, if that! By comparison, the Razzie voting member numbers are closer to 700! And Carrey could have won those awards by getting less than 30% of those 90 votes!  

Gregory View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 4:06pm
Carrey did win a Golden Globe for Man on the Moon but, fortunately, he did not get an Oscar nomination for it.  

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

And no, I am not going to accept Man on the Moon inspite of Carrey's Oscar nomination, which was a very misguided gesture on the part of AMPAS.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For the curious, here is an IMDb LINK to their page listing all award nominations for Jim Carrey. He has never been an Academy Award® nominee, but if you scroll way down the page, you'll see that he has been a RAZZIE® contender...TWICE!  

wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 8:29am
This one really hurts, as Richard and Florence Atwater's book was one of my favorites as a child.  While I was hoping it would reach the big screen some day, I'd always imagined it as more a period piece, to be set around the time the book was in fact written; even reading it in the early 90s, that seemed right for the story they were telling; certainly, in today's financial world, showing the Poppers' overt financial travails, balanced PROPERLY with the difficulties of raising an increasingly large number of penguins would have hit a chord with people still struggling to find jobs in the recovery (assuming they'd have the money to buy a movie ticket, that is).  And the humor there was perfect, with everything naturally coming from the penguins' natural instincts.  Some time down the road, if someone actually wants to try it this way, then maybe they'd have a worthwhile picture, but this, no, not in the least.  Now if someone even so much as touches The Cricket in Times Square (Chuck Jones's adaptation in the 70s, though somewhat compressed, works well enough as it is, as did its 2 holiday followups), somebody just might get thrown off the studio roof...
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 5:36pm

OMG, I knew right when I saw something for this, I knew it would be w***e-s**t.

"If you can't make it good, make it 3D!" Peter Travers, Rolling Stone
F**k Yeah/WTF Were They Thinking Awards Results Live-Tweet @jesse685
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>