Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Poll on a GOOD MOVIE, for a Change!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Discussion: DARK KNIGHT RISES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Discussion: DARK KNIGHT RISES
    Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:28am
I've returned from seeing this. I'll post a review tomorrow. Before I end this, here's something that'll set the tone for the review: The Avengers looks like Battleship compared to this!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 2:45am
Oh sh*t -- some terrible news regarding the Dark Knight Rises midnight showing: LINK...   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: This may sound like a Bleeding Heart Hollywood Liberal's reaction, but I blame the NRA's campaign against renewing the assault weapons ban for enabling the shooter to get his hands on the gun with which this heinous act was committed. As this tragic incident should make clear, semi-automatic weapons have no place in the hands of anyone but the military and law enforcement...  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 8:12am
What about your review of MAN ON A LEDGE?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
JoBloMovieGoer View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoBloMovieGoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 9:23am
I hate to sound crass or mercenary in the shadow of such a tragic event as what just happened in Colorado, but I can't help wondering: What impact (if any) will this have on the opening weekend grosses for Dark Knight Rises? I'm sure it's not just the studio execs at Warner Bros who are curious about this...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While it is inappropriately "too soon" to be bringing up such things, I'm sure you are not the only one wondering about it. And I would guess that within 24-48 hours, the media will be conjecturing on exactly what you've asked: If RISES doesn't rise to the level of grosses its pre-release hype suggested, it will likely be blamed on this tragedy. If, however, it exceeds expectations, the issue of this incident's impact becomes more problematical -- I seriously doubt you'd ever hear Warner Bros admit they "profited" from such mayhem... 

BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 9:29am
Like ol' Head RAZZberry, I'm about to sound like a typical knee-jerk liberal, but...  

I can't help thinking that the depressingly dark "worldview" expressed in the Nolan BATMAN films may have something to do with why the shooter in Colorado chose to carry out his hideous plans at a showing of this particular movie. Film have a powerful influence on audiences (especially weak-minded, impressionable and imbalanced movie-goers) and thus have a certain unspoken responsibility. I know I'm gonna get a rasher of sh*t for saying this but...I think a case can be made that movies like DARK KNIGHT share some of the blame for the hopelessness so many young people feel today.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Not sure if I agree with you entirely, but I must admit that when I saw the previous DARK KNIGHT, I was taken aback by how utterly bleak and hopeless the film's vision of the world was...and wondered what effect such a worldview might have on someone already prone to emulating characters like The Joker or Bane... 

I enjoy a good movie, but if it's the right one, I LOVE a BAD MOVIE!
mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 9:45am
I can't believe it's been ten years since I watched "Bowling for Columbine". Nothing seems to have changed.
I too think the deed wasn't attached to Dark Knight coincidentally. Surely the premiere gave him the audience he wanted. That's what they do it for. The world is looking at him now.   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I think a case can be made that the shooter here and the man who essentially assassinated John Lennon two decades ago share the same fame-seeking mindset. When Lennon was slain, I made a valiant effort not to learn the name of the man who had shot him, which I thought of as my way of "not rewarding" the sick son of a bitch. I am proud to say that I managed to go a whole 10 days without ever letting myself read or hear the name of the killer...but after making such a Herculean effort, I came across his name in an article I was reading in (of all places) Variety. When I finally saw the name after all that time, it was (as the cliche' goes) "seared into my brain." In deference to my preference not to clutter my mind with the names of people like this, I shall not give out the name of Lennon's slayer here. And with today's shooter, I will (at the berry least) make no effort to remember the name of this perpetrator either... 

mbh View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote mbh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:10am
I won't mention his name either then, but the Lennon shooting was a little bit different in one regard: Years later, the shooter gave an interview in which he stated his driving thought after turning from Lennon's biggest fan into his biggest hater, was "it was him or me." After studying Lennon's life, this guy's sick mind saw Lennon as a rival, so the attention was secondary. 

But in the end, no one will know -- and I agree it's better not to credit them. 

Sadly enough, the media has already started the money-guessing about the film's grosses. Deadline already has a voting poll up, asking how much money the movie will make now. 

Guess there's no respect left nowadays.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: In a sane world, it would be fair to assume that such an incident would dissuade movie-goers from rushing out to see RISES -- if for no other reason than fear of "copycat incidents." But the world has spun so far from any semblance of sanity today that the eventual impact (if any) of today's events is anybody's guess... 

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:37am
I don't understand. When THE JOKER did his "experiment" with the 2 ferries, nobody died, so he was wrong (and BATMAN told him). Yes, the ending is sad because BATMAN takes the blame, but that was more about having a cliffhanger than making a statement.

Originally posted by BlackRose

Like ol' Head RAZZberry, I'm about to sound like a typical knee-jerk liberal, 

but...  

I can't help thinking that the depressingly dark "worldview" expressed in the Nolan BATMAN films may have something to do with why the shooter in Colorado chose to carry out his hideous plans at a showing of this particular movie. Film have a powerful influence on audiences (especially weak-minded, impressionable and imbalanced movie-goers) and thus have a certain unspoken responsibility. I know I'm gonna get a rasher of sh*t for saying this but...I think a case can be made that movies like DARK KNIGHT share some of the blame for the hopelessness so many young people feel today.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Not sure if I agree with you entirely, but I must admit that when I saw the previous DARK KNIGHT, I was taken aback by how utterly bleak and hopeless the film's vision of the world was...and wondered what effect such a worldview might have on someone already prone to emulating characters like The Joker or Bane...

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 11:27am
Man... Times like these make me want to never leave my house. All I can really do is hope that people can recover and improve from this vile event.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

MR View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:32pm
I agree, I believe in gun-control, too.  

This is such a tragedy...

I remember when John Lennon was killed, too. What a world we live in!   

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: This may sound like a Bleeding Heart Hollywood Liberal's reaction, but I blame the NRA's campaign against renewing the assault weapons ban for enabling the shooter to get his hands on the gun with which this heinous act was committed. As this tragic incident should make clear, semi-automatic weapons have no place in the hands of anyone but the military and law enforcement...

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 6:51pm
Because of the tragedy in Colorado, I'm postponing my review for a couple days.
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 7:00pm
Yeah, I'll save my money for The Dark Knight Rises for another day due to the frightening events in Colorado.
Pictures move, do they?
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 12:21pm
One point made in Bowling For Columbine was that Canada had looser gun laws, yet still had lower death rates than the US. I need to rewatch the documentary again, but Moore made the point that the media's use of fear was what separated the US from other countries. Coincidentally, the most recent episode of Sorkin's The Newsroom was about gun control, and was set on the day of the 2011 Tucson shooting.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 8:23pm
The cast speaks out here. 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-dark-knight-cast-reacts-colorado-shooting,0,5975411.story

My heart just goes out to all the innocent victims. It's been a real rough week for this native Pennsylvanian with this on top of the Paterno report. I have to fly up to Oakland on Monday, where they are expecting massive Occupy protests against the President. So I've naturally got the jitters...
2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 6:38pm
I'm stepping in for a moment, breaking my self imposed, temporary silence to offer a huge thumbs up. We spend a great deal of time discussing the professional and personal failings of celebrities here. It is only fitting that the other side of the coin be recognized now and then. 

Christian Bale was here in Denver today visiting some of the victims of Friday morning's shootings in area hospitals. 

Thumbs Up Mr Bale!  
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 8:46pm
Time for a positive review for a change. Unlike my regular reviews this one will be a lot different. Instead of the regular "good, bad, ugly" approach, I'm doing kinda bad, good, and really, really good. Also, there'll be a couple of spoilers here. For the second part of this review that goes up tomorrow, it'll be all spoilers and will follow the same format as this review. Before I begin, I'll say this: not being as good as The Dark Knight isn't a bad thing! A lot of good movies aren't as good as The Dark Knight. If something that you especially liked/disliked isn't in this review, it's probably in the spoiler one.

One thing that bothered me was how over-complicated the plan of Bane and Talia was for something with a simple goal (ruining Batman psychologically). It's kind of handwaved (he REALLY wants Batman ruined) but it still felt like an excuse for f*cking epic action scenes. Alfred leaving Batman is a massive out-of character moment. He'd never do anything like this. Marion Cotillard's acting is a bit on the meh side until the twist. Juno Temple's character is problematic. Not because of her, but because it's shameless nerd-baiting that Nolan's usually above. Her character is called Jen, but she's obviously supposed to be Holly Robinson. She's Catwoman's sidekick in the comics. On the plus side, she's a lesbian in the comics which makes her constant hugs with Catwoman 100 times more awesome. In a nitpicky complaint, there's a scene after Batman is done laying Miranda down by the fire where he's in full Batman costume on top of the bridge. The thing that confuses me is that after that scene, he's in underground with Catwoman. Is their any real reason that scene had to exist?

Matthew Modine is great as a glory hound cop who turns into coward after Bane takes over and eventually a courageous cop struck down by Talia. He's down in the merely good section because his character is kind of pointless and could have easily been removed. I, also, liked that Daggett from Batman (TAS) was in here, even if he's called John instead of Roland.

Christopher Nolan's still got it. Of course, I don't think any of you need a reminder of this. Tom Hardy's performance is great and Bane is threatening. Christian Bale is still an awesome Batman. Gary Oldman is great as Jim Gordon. He has a lot of cool scenes like when he escapes from Bane's lair and when he picks off two of Bane's henchmen in the hospital. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as Robin John Blake, but I can't get into too much of his role without spoiling it. The best actor is, surprisingly, Anne Hathaway. I was not expecting her to be this good. Instead of just retreading Michelle Pfeiffer's performance in Batman Returns, she makes the role all hers. There's a lot of great individual scenes. The first scene where Bane kidnaps a scientist and fakes his death. Was insanely awesome. When I saw this for the third time, two "bro" types sitting ahead of me did a fist-bump after this scene. Bane's assault on the Gotham stock exchange is awesome, but the best non-spoilery scene happens after it: Batman's return. Batman just rides in, beats up the bad guys, and escapes in "the bat". I especially liked the homage to The Dark Knight Returns with the old cop.

A quick warning. If you haven't seen the movie yet, then I'd avoid the second part of the review/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>