Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO. FORUMS & POLLS on 2012 RAZZIE® Choices... > Forum Poll on a GOOD MOVIE, for a Change!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Discussion: DARK KNIGHT RISES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Discussion: DARK KNIGHT RISES
    Posted: July 24 2012 at 11:14pm
Here's my review, which share some similarities with Shumacher8ter's review:

To this day, the only Batman films I've ever enjoyed are the ones made by Christopher Nolan. In fact, the original quadrilogy bores me. What makes Nolan's films so special is that he is able to expand the concept of what a superhero film can be without making it seem unbelievable. Whether or not you like Nolan's Batman films, they have already become sources of huge inspiration for many filmmakers. BATMAN BEGINS is fantastic and THE DARK KNIGHT is even better. Therefore, the main question people will ask during this film is "How can this top TDK?," and the answer is obvious: It can't. I don't even think that it's better than BATMAN BEGINS, but that doesn't make TDKR bad. No doubt, TDKR is a fantastic end to a lovely trilogy that will be cherished by many people in the coming future, but it isn't without its faults.

As with most sequels, TDKR tries to top its last two predecessors. For Hollywood, this usually means making everything bigger and grander, and this applies to Nolan. Yes, everything is much more epic in TDKR, from the bombastic score by Hans Zimmer to the even darker tone to the new collection of characters and to the many story lines that come from them. This brings several problems to the film: It makes TDKR unnecessarily convoluted, and there's a lack of narrative cohesion. It would be better had the film dropped some subplots. In particular, there is a romance between Bruce Wayne and Miranda Tate that really comes out of nowhere with no development leading up to it at all. Tate could have been a friend of Wayne, and the story would still work. The first half is also pretty choppy and a bit uninteresting as it essentially sets everything up.

It isn't until the second half that TDKR really shines. The story slowly starts to pick up momentum, and everything starts to work like clockwork, all leading up to a stunning climax. Despite a questionable plot twist, the third act is noticeably more exciting than the ones from BATMAN BEGINS and TDK. Likewise, the last 10 minutes is one of the most emotionally satisfying conclusions ever put on film. It shook me, and had there been no audience members in the theater with me, I would have bawled like a baby. On top of that, Nolan seems to have a firmer grip on the action scenes, which are shot and cut more skillfully than his previous attempts.

Christian Bale has already owned the role as Batman, as with Gary Oldman as the lovable Commissioner Gordon, but let's talk about Michael Caine. He is such a great actor, and the few key scenes he appears in TDKR remain to be some of the highlights of the film. Additionally, there are many new actors aboard the film, including Tom Hardy as Bane. Hardy looks unrecognizable and he pulls off a menacing performance, although some of his dialogue is unfortunately lost through his mask. It's clear, though, that the late Heath Ledger as The Joker was a much better villain, elevating TDK to a considerable level. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is great as a young cop, but it's Anne Hathaway who manages to surprise, playing Catwoman. She is appropriately cunning and sexy at the same time, and there is little camp in her performance which is a plus.

As you can see, TDKR has a lot of flaws. At times, the film can be a little too bleak, murky, and slow. However, all these flaws add up to very little when compared to the film as a whole. It's a summer film that probes the mind. To say the film isn't perfect is obvious, but TDKR is a masterful, harrowing, and epic conclusion to the Dark Knight trilogy, filled with symbolism, themes, and allegory. Because of that, I loved the film, flaws and all. I urge everyone to go out and see this, as it is easily one of the best films of the year. 9.5/10
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 7:57am
I knew I forgot something! Yes, Zimmer's score was epic. I'll put a reference into the second part of my review tonight...    

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Yes, everything is much more epic in TDKR, from the bombastic score by Hans Zimmer 
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 6:51pm
Now to finish my Dark Knight Rises review. Two things before I start. First, Hans Zimmer's music is freaking epic! Second, if you haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises, you probably shouldn't read this. It'll be composed the same way as yesterday's.

Bane's death is one of the most anticlimatic moments of the year. Catwoman just blows him up. We don't get any information about him afterwards. He acts out of character just before this. He wants Batman to suffer and letting him be blown up with the people he wants to protect would be the ultimate torture. But, instead, he decides to just shoot him. Talia's death is kinda anticlimatic, but at least she gets to screw over Batman's plan for saving Gotham.

Scarecrowe's return was a nice touch. He's the judge for Bane's court of public opinions. The reveal of Harvey Dent's betrayel was well done. It turns Blake against Gordon which is reasonable and believable. If this seems like I'm padding this paragraph, that's because most of the good stuff, is really good!

Talia's reveal was great. The best part is that when re-watching it, there's nothing that contradicts it! Seriously, everything she does is about getting his trust so she can betray him. I believe that if she could get Batman to go away with her before Bane's plot goes down, she and Bane would just cripple him like they do and just blow up the city. There's a lot of great scenes in the movie. The last battle between the cops and Bane's men is f*cking awesome! Especially when Batman and Bane start their fight. The scene where Bane blows up the bridges is just... brilliant. The imagery, the music, the everything! The end is great and impossibly sad. Especially, Alfred seeing Bruce and Selina in Florence. Robin finding the BatCave is great too. I know that Nolan doesn't anything else to do with the franchise, but if he directed a Robin spin-off with Joseph Gordon-Levitt I wouldn't be opposed. The best scene of all is the re-enactment of the end of the first part of Knightfall. To those that haven't read that, Bane cripples Batman. The fight before hand is awesome! The fight itself, the dialogue (especially the Dark Knight Returns reference, "you fight like a younger man"), Bane stealing from R&D, etc.

This is the most fun I've had at a movie since, in all seriousness, The Dark Knight. Grade: A+
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 2:20pm
I went to see this today, 1. because I knew my wife wouldn't want to go with me and 2. It was sort of a personal catharsis. 

I found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. It was a bit slow early on (as has been noted elsewhere) and there was a rather glaring plot problem by my thinking. But the ending was satisfying, to the point that I didn't walk out of the theater with the same bleak feeling I had leaving the second installment in the series (which was still a decidedly superior movie).
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 4:04pm
What was the plot problem? Please, write it in white (I wanna read it after I see it).
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2012 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Vits

What was the plot problem? Please, write it in white (I wanna read it after I see it).
To be honest, I was being a little generous. I actually had 3 rather significant problems with the plot of this film. As requested, I'll list them out below in white:

1. In contrast to the first two films in the series, I didn't thnk Bain was a very well defined character. His ultimate plan was to blow up Gotham City, but he didn't seem to have much problem with going down with the ship, so to speak. He was hanging around fully prepared to get blown up himself. This would have made some sense if he was clearly working on belalf of some larger purpose, but if he was, we weren't really made aware of it.

2. I'm a little tired of stereotypical movie villians that have no problem mustering the genuis to concoct elaborate plans, but don't seem to catch on to the concept of simply blowing the heros brains out when they get the clear opportunity. Bain wanted Bruce Wayne see Gotham destroyed, then he wanted Wayne to die himself. But since Bain was hanging around in Gotham himself, it wasn't like he was going to be around to do it.

3. Bain captures Batman/Bruce, then shanghais him off to a prison on the other side of the planet rather than just taking care of business as noted in point 2. Naturally Bruce escapes, but realistically, then what? Wayne has no money, no credit cards, no checkbook, no passport. Even if he can convince someone that he was, or at least used  to be a billionaire, it would take him a couple weeks to get home under remarkably favorable circumstances. By then about all he would have been able to do was poke around the smoldering ashes of Gotham City in search of what was left of Alfred's teeth.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 2:21pm
I went to the movies and used special free tickets to see this. I regret it, because it deserves the money. Meanwhile, STEFAN VS KRAMER broke opening day box office records. Anyway, I thought it was just OK. To answer the poll, I chose "Maybe".

Now, I'll have to wait for the Schumacher movies to air on TV. I know, I know, I should avoid them like a plague.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

Bane's death is one of the most anticlimatic moments of the year. Catwoman just blows him up. We don't get any information about him afterwards. He acts out of character just before this. He wants Batman to suffer and letting him be blown up with the people he wants to protect would be the ultimate torture. But, instead, he decides to just shoot him. Talia's death is kinda anticlimatic, but at least she gets to screw over Batman's plan for saving Gotham.
I don't even think that he actually died. It wasn't very clear, and he did seem strong enough to survive a blast like that.
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

1. In contrast to the first two films in the series, I didn't thnk Bain was a very well defined character. His ultimate plan was to blow up Gotham City, but he didn't seem to have much problem with going down with the ship, so to speak. He was hanging around fully prepared to get blown up himself. This would have made some sense if he was clearly working on belalf of some larger purpose, but if he was, we weren't really made aware of it.

2. I'm a little tired of stereotypical movie villians that have no problem mustering the genuis to concoct elaborate plans, but don't seem to catch on to the concept of simply blowing the heros brains out when they get the clear opportunity. Bain wanted Bruce Wayne see Gotham destroyed, then he wanted Wayne to die himself. But since Bain was hanging around in Gotham himself, it wasn't like he was going to be around to do it.

3. Bain captures Batman/Bruce, then shanghais him off to a prison on the other side of the planet rather than just taking care of business as noted in point 2. Naturally Bruce escapes, but realistically, then what? Wayne has no money, no credit cards, no checkbook, no passport. Even if he can convince someone that he was, or at least used  to be a billionaire, it would take him a couple weeks to get home under remarkably favorable circumstances. By then about all he would have been able to do was poke around the smoldering ashes of Gotham City in search of what was left of Alfred's teeth.
1) I completely agree.
2) BANE was an extreme version of an anarchist. He didn't care if he died, as long as he destroyed an entire society. He also wanted to destroy BATMAN personally because he was his enemy, and he knew that making him watch the destruction of Gotham City was more painful than death.
3) Most forums have been debating over how BRUCE returned. The main theory is that he has foreign connections with powerful people (assuming that he was on another country, because the location is never given).
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 6:20pm
It was very strongly suggested that the prison was in fact overseas. In fact, it would be impossible to make a strong argument that it wasn't. The city Bruce sees upon his escape is clearly a Middle Eastern location. As to Bruce being able to use connections, it is still unlikely he could have made it back in time to prevent disaster. I will avoid typing in white at this point because I really don't think there are a lot of people who intend to see this movie that haven't at this point.

As to my objection in point 2, even Mike Myers did a send up of the evil genius failing to dispose of the bad guy in a quick and simple fashion. By now, every evil genius out there must have seen a movie once. It is 2012! If you let the good guy live, it always comes back and bites you in the ass LOL
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 5:05pm
Since school starts back tomorrow, I saw this a fourth time since it was the second most fun time I had this summer. The most fun I had was when my brother visited.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 2:08pm
My review of the BATMAN franchise, which includes this installment (skip to 02:07):

Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123