Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Info on ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART I
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART ONE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM Discussion of ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART ONE
    Posted: April 22 2011 at 9:47pm
Fox News is nothing more than a propaganda channel for the Republican Party, which is why I'm asking: Should we consider 20th Century Fox as just a movie production company for more Republican propaganda??  
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 7:58am
As expected, this movie is doing some serious sinking at the box-office. It has now made back about $3 million of its $20 million production cost. The number of theaters it played in this past weekend almost doubled, but it's gross sagged significantly. Bottomline, Asshole Shugged Part 1 is going to take a serious bath at the box-office and isn't going to come close to making its modest production budget back. That makes it pretty unlikely that Asshole Shrugged Parts 2 and 3 will ever make it to the theaters.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 8:14pm
As proven before with movies like "Snakes On A Plane," creating a online buzz will only get your movie so far in terms of box office grosses. And your movie being a piece of crap doesn't help matters either. I'm guessing "Asshole Shrugged Parts 2 & 3" will be released straight-to-RedBox!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 5:57am
So the sequels are happening?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 6:06am
I don't think so. If i understood it correctly, they barely had enough money to make this film.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 8:40am
Hmmm...so even "indie" filmmakers commit the mistake of preparing for a sequel or two before knowing if the first movie will be a success or not!
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 1:16pm
Part of me wants there to be a sequel, because I'm interested in how they'll handle Galt's speech. For those who are lucky enough to not have read "Atlas Shrugged," John Galt gives a speech that goes on for 90 pages!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 1:36pm
Yep...and a less long-winded gas bag probably could have made the same point in one short paragraph. Then again, the whole book can be summed up in one (utterly ridiculous) sentence: "Some people are just so much better than everyone else that the rules that govern society shouldn't apply to them." The problem is that the people who think they are part of that elite are actually just idiots.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 2:04pm
No wonder this movie was so bad -- the book was so poorly written! 90 pages? What ever happened to editing? I wonder if the book's author failed every English and creative writing class that she took?
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 7:12pm
Ayn Rand pretty much lived her life (and wrote her books) based on the credo that one should never say in one sentence what can be stretched out to 50 or 60 pages. One can understand why all those tedious books from the Victorian era (that English teachers love) are so long and tedious -- the authors got paid by the word, and their works were serialized originally in the contemporary publications. Ayn Rand, on the other hand, was just a long-winded blowhard who really didn't have anything relevant, or even logical to say. But that didn't stop her from taking 1200 pages per book to spew her nonsense... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 4:45am
Ah, that explains a lot!  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 7:28am
This doesn't sound like a good book. Is that the trend now? Hollywood has already adapted every best seller in the world, so now it's going after just any book?  
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 7:50am
This just in -- rotten reviews and plummeting box office have apparently convinced the millionaire who backed ATLAS SHRUGGED: PART I to shrug off the idea of bothering to make the promised 2nd and 3rd installments. 

Produced at a cost of some $20 million, PART I has to date grossed just over $3 million (LINK), suffered a second weekend drop-off of about 47% (despite increasing its total screens by over 40%) and got one of 2011's worst critical drubbings, with over 90% negative reviews at RT (LINK). 

For additional info, here's a LINK to an L.A. Times item on the situation...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 8:16am
A lot of people seem to think Rand was some sort of genius. I personally don't understand the notion. Atlas Shrugged was written back in 1957, and there has long been an interest in making into a movie. This particular version was rushed into theaters because the people who currently own the rights were about to lose them. Back in 1949, Rand's equally looney novel The Fountainhead was made into a movie, and it was also absolutely dreadful. 

But I have doubts that two dreadful adaptations are going to stop someone else from trying again.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 8:23am
So...it's like L. Ron Hubbard all over again?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2011 at 1:18pm
Keep in mind, Hubbard's work was more like long-winded companion pieces to his crazy, made up religion. Hubbard's own son has admitted that Hubbard would claim that the real money isn't in writing books, it's in creating (and running) your own religion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>