Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Add'l INFO on THE RITE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM DISCUSSION of THE RITE...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM DISCUSSION of THE RITE...
    Posted: January 28 2011 at 5:10pm
I think Vits meant the movie "Bad Company" -- an action movie directed by a certain guy who ruined a movie series about a man who fights crime while dressed as a giant bat ....  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

Let me guess: Ben Affleck wasn't the first to make a movie called The Company Men, right?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 5:30pm
That's the one. Sorry!  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 8:56am
Originally posted by Vits

MEMENTO:"I have to believe that when I close my eyes, M. Night Shyamalan is still there".
A little off topic, but don't worry, Vits, M. Night Shyamalan is still out there. His talent, on the other hand, has been MIA for quite some time now though.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 5:49pm
R.T. gave this 20%"Anthony Hopkins is as excellent as ever,but he's no match for the film's dawdling pace and lack of chills.Or Colin O'Donoghue's tentative performance in the leading role".

Roger Ebert gave this ***/****:"I found myself drawn in.It is sincere.It is not exploitative;a certain amount of screaming,frothing and thrashing comes with the territory".

Peter Travers gave it */****:"The film goes wrong in every way".

cathy29 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote cathy29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 10:46pm
I was excited to see The Rite, but when finally I was able to watch it, I was really disappointed. Many elements that were supposed to be there were just...missing.  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 4:32pm
I just saw it and gave it 3/10.The review's coming soon,but in the mean time,my "For your consideration":
-Actor:Yes.But Colin,not Anthony.He's worse.
-Actress:There isn't.
-Supp. Actor:I guess Hopkins if there's no more space.
-Supp. Actress:Not Alice Braga.She improved from last year.I guess Marta Gastini(the italian girl who gets exorcised)who was about on the same level as Sir Tony.
-Ensemble:No.Read all of the above.
-Couple:MICHAEL doesn't spent enough time with ANGELICA to have a relationship relevant to the plot,and he doesn't spent enough time "The power of Christ compells you"-ing with FATHER LUCAS to be considered a duo.
-Director:Yes.
-Screenplay:No.The dialogue was cheesy,but they kept the story interesting despite not being new.
-Remake/Rip-off:No,'cuz...shocker...this isn't a rip-off of THE EXORCIST.
-Worst Excuse For Horror(if you bring it back):Read below.
-Picture:It depends.I haven't seen many 1 star movies this year so I put 2 stars movies in consideration in the mean time.

It's very hard for me to get scared but I feel THE RITE will do it.
My bad.

Colin O'Donoghue's tentative performance in the leading role".
I still don't know what that means.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 2:20pm
I'D RATHER BE POSSESSED BY PAZUZU THAN BE SAVED BY HANNIBAL(**/*****):

Starring:Colin O'Donoghue and Anthony Hopkins as THE RITE performers.

No spoilers here.

So what is the problem with this movie?Not to sound anti-catholic,but I had problems with the idea.So a guy's who's about to become a priest is send to the other side of the world to risk his life only to basically be forced to believe in God?And in the Devil?Assuming that wasn't propaganda,the movie sees a fire and throws a glass of water at it and runs away without checking if the fire is still there.They seemed affraid of going deeper into the conflicts of MICHAEL loosing and re-gaining his faith,so they just threw in situations and expected us to make something out of it.By the end of the movie,it just feels like nothing really happened.

Director Mikael Hafstrom fails to create the right atmosphere,making this movie as scary as the cats surrounding FATHER LUCAS'S house.I do give it points for not being laughable as many expected.I actually laughed more with THE EXORCIST(don't get me wrong,I liked that one because it was 90% scary and 10% funny).

Speaking of the Devil(no pun intended)...Despite how bad this movie is,it's really unfair how it's been called a rip-off of THE EXORCIST just because the story is about an exorcist.Despite the slow pacing,the story is somewhat interesting because they don't try to clone that classic.At one point,FATHER LUCAS actually jokes saying "What did you expect?A turning head vomiting pea soup?".Yes,both movies have similarities but when a premise has been used so many times it starts to become another genre.A lot of alien invasion movies are similar,but is MONSTERS a rip-off of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL,CLOSE ENCOUNTERS,E.T. or INDEPENDENCE DAY?No,it actually rip-offs DISTRICT 9,CLOVERFIELD and STALKER.I've heard people say INDEPENDENCE DAY is ripped-off in SKYLINE which is ripped-off in BATTLE L.A.,when in fact SKYLINE rips-off WAR OF THE WORLDS and BATTLE L.A. rips-off BLACK HAWK DOWN and THE THING RED LINE.Wait...what was I talking about?Oh,yeah.Anyway,how can a movie about an exorcism be made in any other way than a horror movie where priest reads the bible at a possessed person who does supernatural things?And how can a movie about an alien invasion be made in any other way than aliens going to Earth and fight against humans?

Among the many bad things with people,there's one everyone admits with no problem,probably because it's not so serious.I'm talking about the celebrity fixation.If celebrities suffer a tragedy,we usually accompany them.If something simply bad happens to them,we enjoy it.A good example is watching a legendary actor like Hopkins getting close to destroying his career by agreeing to be in movies for the money.His performance,while disappointing,wasn't that bad.It's very strange though.He at least tried,even though he clearly signed on knowing it was going to be bad.And earlier this year,he chose YOU WILL MEET A TALL DARK STRANGER thinking it was going to be good,but he didn't try at all in that movie.

However,if you're an official voter for the Razzies,you should focus on O'Donoghue.He reminded me of 2 performances from this year:Alex Pettyfer in I AM NUMBER 4 and Adam Sandler in JUST GO WITH IT.You see,he's a pretty boy that makes you wonder where are they all coming from(probably from a modeling agency instead of an acting school)that keeps the same face the whole movie except when the script literally tells him to emote,but all we get is a change of face.So yeah,he's a combination of those 2 actors...he's worse than them together!

Alice Braga is very interesting in how she acts.Her sad puppy eyes(which I don't think are intentional)may prevent you from connecting with her.While she improved from her weak performance in REPO MEN months ago,she needs to be more careful when choosing a movie.Another person I have to mention is Marta Gastini,who I felt was on the same level as Hopkins(remember that' not a good thing).

Grades:D- in the U.S. and 3,0 in Chile.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 2:37pm
Vits, you really seem to give almost all movies you review lately, a 3 out of 10-rating... Why's that?
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2011 at 4:42pm
Are you sure?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/user/812172/ratings/?search=&sort=date-desc

The movies I comment here are Razzie contenders,so it's more likely I'll give them bad ratings.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 7:38pm
I've been on a roll today. Well, here's the last review of the day. The first movie that I didn't like starting the review out so I'll be taking off the kiddie gloves.

The good:

Anthony Hopkins: While some have suggested him for Worst Actor or Supporting Actor, I don't think that he should be considered. Hopkins is credible as a priest who's slowly taken control of. Don't worry, there's someone to Razz in this movie. Also, the scene where he knocks out a little girl was hysterical.

Alice Braga: She's OK.

The imagery: The imagery of the movie had a lot of good scenes like the black horse with red-eyes.

The bad:

The scares: This movie is nearly devoid of scares. While not as scare-depleted as The Roommate, it still lacks scares. I don't think that the PG-13 hurt it; supernatrual horror movies can be PG-13 without sucking like the year's best horror movie Insidious shows.

The writing and directing: The screenplay is unremarkable and the direction bland. Not much more to say.

The ugly:

Colin O'Donaghue: I'm convinced that the only reason he was chosen because they thought he might bring in women.

The blatant Exorcist ripping-off: It's been established that my favorite horror movie is The Exorcist and I don't take it kindly when it gets ripped-off.

Wow, what a forgettable movie. It took a little under a half-hour just to remember what happened. Grade: C+

Next up: Battle: Los Angeles!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Transcendence
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 9:29am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The imagery of the movie had a lot of good scenes like the black horse with red-eyes.

Me and a lot of people said that.Then we remembered it was meant to be a donkey.You might wanna take it out from the good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123