Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > COMPLETE LIST of 2011 ELIGIBLE RELEASES
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM FEEDBACK on 2011 RELEASES LIST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 178>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM FEEDBACK on 2011 RELEASES LIST
    Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:19am
FEEL FREE to OFFER YER CAT CALLS and CACOPHONOUS (and/or CATHARTIC) COMMENTARY BELOW...  

ENJOY!  

...AND, IN CASE YOU SOMEHOW MISSED IT, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT OUR COMPLETE LIST of ELIGIBLE 2011 RELEASES (WHICH, as of DECEMBER 4th, HAD BECOME SO BIG WE HADDA SPLIT IT into TWO PARTS!)... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 7:41am
As usual, I thought the ballot was very good. The only glaring omission, imho, was neglecting to nominate Skyline for Worst Picture. What an appalling piece of crap that movie is! It was my only write in selection.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: What spared SKYLINE from being listed for Worst Picture was its paltry budget -- Bad as it was, it reportedly only cost $10 million, and has to date grossed about $55 million worldwide (B.O. MoJo LINK). Almost every title that was listed for Worst Picture (with the possible exception of VAMPIRES SUCK) cost 5 to 20 times as much to make, and still sucked just as bad as SKYLINE (which was listed on the ballot for Worst Screenplay)...  

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 11:30am
Noah Ringer -- Why wasn't he listed on the nominating ballot??  

EDIT:Each time a Razzie considered movie comes up, I'm going to add on to my list of possible contenders. Eventually, I'll make my choices for the top five WORST of 2011.

Worst Picture: Season of the Witch 

Worst Actor: Nicolas Cage / Season of the Witch 

Worst Supporting Actor: Ron Perlmen, Stephen Campbell Moore, Robert Sheehan, Ulrich Thomsen, Stephen Graham, and Christopher Lee / Season of the Witch   

Worst Supporting Actress: Claire Foy / Season of the Witch 

Worst Screen Couple: Nicolas Cage and either Ron Perlmen or Claire Foy / Season of the Witch 

Worst Dirctor: Dominic Sena / Season of the Witch   

Worst Screenplay: Season of the Witch (written by Bragi F. Schut)  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 6:42am
Oiram, why don't you just watch the films you think are eligible?  

I feel like when you fill in the ballot based on what the critics say, NOT you but the critics are indirectly filling in your ballot. Just saying... 
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 7:47am
I am someone who likes to bring up obscure films that in no way or shape will find there way into Razzie consideration. One of those being Ong Bak 3. The film caught my eye because it was a sequel and had a 4.6/10 score on IMDB which must suggest that the film was not that well recieved by moviegoers. So my next step was looking up reviews for this film on Rotten Tomatoes. It currently has two reviews a positive one and a negative one:

From the negative review on Screen Junkies:
It really feels like a Game of Death situation where they’re building a movie around existing footage of the star. Jaa probably shot more of this than Bruce Lee did of Game and he’s only absent, not dead, but there’s still a lot that feels like it’s padding out the running time.

The only part that even involves Tien is his rehabilitation. He spends a lot of time injured so Jaa doesn’t even walk, let alone fight. There’s some karma spirituality and a special recovery kata. Nothing new but nothing that would detract from a good fight movie. Although, the idea of a fighter practicing non-fighting against violent attackers is a bit tired.

Some other reviews from well known filmsources (that don't seem to apear on Rotten Tomatoes) also were not very kind to this film.

From the review on Empire online:
With its gritty jungle setting, spare dialogue and grungy warring tribes, the feel of this thundery vengeance epic is, quite unexpectedly, of a kung-fu Apocalypto. Set centuries apart, in a new era and with a new hero, it certainly bears little resemblance to the light-footed original that launched Jaa. While Ong Bak 3 (shooting now) promises to tie things up plot-wise, the car-hurdling and knockabout joys are long gone, replaced by a grimacing heaviness. If Ong Bak was his Jackie Chan movie, this, you guess, is his Bruce Lee one, with Jaa reprogrammed to a colder, harder persona. The movie built around him is so brooding and ominous it holds a deep, serious frown throughout, and fully expects you to follow suit. Which, considering Jaa’s opponents include a roaring cat-witch, a phantom crow and a guy with a bin on his head, is a big ask.

Mind you, if Jaa himself is nowhere near as engaging, his back-to-basics action mantra (no effects, no wire-fu, no doubles) still packs a primal wallop. You just keep wishing the pace was as streamlined as the moves. In an attempt to ‘epic up’ a basic tale of revenge, the rhythm gets constantly thrown off by a series of long-winded flashbacks that stunt the brute impact of any preceding action riff. Instead of a steady rush of blood, you get a regular pulse.

From the review on Variety:
Too much contemplation and not enough demonstration sends Thai-socky "Ong Bak 3" slumping to the canvas. Latest and reportedly final installment lacks the emotional clout that would compensate for the meager footage of martial-arts superman/co-helmer Tony Jaa beating the daylights out of all comers. Pic has grossed an underwhelming $1.4 million locally since May (the 2003 original took $7 million) and will likely struggle to perform theatrically offshore. Brand-name recognition should produce reasonable ancillary results.

From the review on Total Film:
this stodgy effort bears little resemblance to the blistering, modern-day original – a greater focus on Bhuddist philosophy (as expounded by Jaa and co on the limited extras) leaves little room for the sort of bone-crunching, no-frills set-pieces that first brought Jaa to our attention.

I know it will never get it's own forum on this site (mainly because it's released in the same week as The Dillema and The Green Hornet) so i kind of like the idea of making films like this aware to the voters here. You know a little acknowledgement of the bad smaller releases.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 1:40pm
"Ong Bak 3" even failed in it's native Thailand, so I have no idea why it should be a success here. Plus, after you have seen one Tony Jaa movie, you have seen them all. Weak plots, Jaa doing crazy stunts, movie ends quickly after final boss fight.  
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 10:13pm
Serves them right! They should have known that if they made too many sequels they would alienate the fans of the original to a point were they are not willing to pay to see these movies anymore. 

Talk about underperforming sequels, I am actually wondering if there is the slightest chance that Transformers 3 will underperform this summer (or may even be a box office bomb?) seeing that it follows such a universally hated film.  

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

"Ong Bak 3" even failed in it's native Thailand, so I have no idea why it should be a success here.

This apparently is Jaa's  last film. He has retired to become a Buddhist monk.

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Plus, after you have seen one Tony Jaa movie, you have seen them all. Weak plots, Jaa doing crazy stunts, movie ends quickly after final boss fight.  

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 10:46pm

I'm one of less than 40% of my friends who didn't like Revenge of the Fallen. Alas, I hope The Dark of the Moon doesn't win Worst Picture of 2011 because that would mean 2 films from 1 series being the #1 worst.

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 12:29am
I never said the word "Razzies," I just hope it performs badly box office-wise, so that there is an immediate end to the franchise...  

Originally posted by GTAHater767

I'm one of less than 40% of my friends who didn't like Revenge of the Fallen. Alas, I hope The Dark of the Moon doesn't win Worst Picture of 2011 because that would mean 2 films from 1 series being the #1 worst.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: What spared SKYLINE from being listed for Worst Picture was its paltry budget -- Bad as it was, it reportedly only cost $10 million, and has to date grossed about $55 million worldwide (B.O. MoJo LINK). Almost every title that was listed for Worst Picture (with the possible exception of VAMPIRES SUCK) cost 5 to 20 times as much to make, and still sucked just as bad as SKYLINE (which was listed on the ballot for Worst Screenplay)...  
So "Skyline" is spared for not being AS successful as other unwatchable movies from last year?
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:52pm

Yes and no; Skyline was spared more because of its smaller budget than for how much money it made. Any other awards Skyline is up for?

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 4:00pm
Big budget or small budget, "Skyline" was still a bad movie. I guess the amount of Razzie worth is also measured in studio scope. If the studio is hoping a piece of s*** like "Fartbender" or "Clash of the Titans" is going to be their meal ticket for the year (and in future years in the form of sequels), then yes, I can see why they are bigger targets. Also a bad movie making MUCH more money than it should have (ie. "Trannies 2") is also a likely prime target. 

But "Skyline" was such an under-whelming, under-planned mess, it seems a shame it barely got more than one or two major spots on the Razzie ballot. 
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 4:04pm
I suspect that Skyline might get a fair share of write-ins, but it would have been a longshot for Worst Picture even if it had been on the ballot. As I noted above, I thought it was an interesting omission, but given how quickly and completely it has fallen off the public radar screen, Head Razz probably has a point.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I suspect that Skyline might get a fair share of write-ins, but it would have been a longshot for Worst Picture even if it had been on the ballot. As I noted above, I thought it was an interesting omission, but given how quickly and completely it has fallen off the public radar screen, Head Razz probably has a point.
Yes, I thought it's lack of spots on the ballot was odd, too, considering it was almost universally hated by critics and audiences alike. Still, that $55 million gross was enough for the studios to greenlight (or is it "bluelight" when it comes to this movie?) a sequel, which will no doubt be equally as bad. That's also a factor to keep in mind. But in the end, it just goes to show, just because you're an expert in one area of filmmaking (in this case, make-up, special effects, and CGI) that doesn't mean you can write/produce/direct a major motion picture with a very specific genre.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:40am
Well, I thought using dolls - er - models at the end to depict the final fight scene while the credits rolled by would have guaranteed Skyline some sort of spot in the Razzie pantheon.  Here we have two special effects gurus directing a film, and in the end they resort to low-tech storytelling with dolls. . . .
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 8:06am
The first review for The Dilemma has apeared on RT and it isn't any good:

Unfortunately, Howard and writer Allan Loeb don’t know how to turn a classic farce set-up into an actual farce. Yes, there are secrets, mistaken impressions (Ronnie’s weird behavior convinces everyone he knows that he’s relapsed into gambling addiction) and violent confrontations. But while this movie huffs and puffs a lot, it rarely produces anything resembling a truly funny moment.

Instead, we’re left with Vaughn’s long-winded improvs, which seldom lead to real pay-offs. He goes all wide-eyed and starts talking – and for some reason, Howard just lets him talk, despite the fact that he would need a GPS to guide him back to a punchline or even a salient point.

James doesn’t have much more to work with and neither do Ryder, Connelly or the rest of the cast. There’s a lot of activity but little that results in genuine humor – or even false humor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 178>