Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & INFO on BATTLE L.A.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.
    Posted: May 18 2011 at 10:52am
mtnmel, Buls**t, The Terminator was nothing like Battle L.A..... Terminator had actual character development and introduced us to people we really cared about. While the characters in Battle L.A. are so underdeveloped that you can't even tell them apart for about 80% of the movie.  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 12:35pm
Not to mention that THE TERMINATOR had groundbreaking effects.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by mtnmel

The best example of this -- The original Terminator by James Cameron was widely panned as another Chainsaw Massacre until it quickly become a classic.  A careful viewing of the film indicates an avoidance of onscreen gratuitous bloodletting.
You do have a point. The original Terminator was nothing more than a slasher movie with a robot from the future as the killer. "T2" was the movie that turned it into a sci-fi classic.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2011 at 1:46pm
I don't think any of the TERMINATOR movies are excellent.But I have a feeling even SALVATION is a masterpiece compared to this movie.
sbach View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 12:49pm
Yes, it is very similar to Skyline but much better made.  I hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed it.  But I'm an action film buff...
Annyl View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Annyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 10:56pm
Oh! I didn't notice!
tinajane View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tinajane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2011 at 12:49am
This may be (more or less) a near-direct ripoff of the very movie coming out this weekend,  
'cause when studio execs make it, it'd win a whole bunch of Razzies!   
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Vits

But this one was made after. How can it not be a rip-off?
It was made before. Two of the FX people "stole" some of the equipment from this film and used it to film their own film, Skyline, in order to show Sony that they can also make the same movie but on a much lower budget. They made Skyline quick enough to release it before the release date of Battle LA and the quality shows. Skyline sucked @$$. I actually enjoyed Battle LA light years more than Skyline. If you go in with the right expectations, Battle LA is far from a bad film. I think it's an entertaining, visceral experience. A war film with aliens, I'd say.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

It was made before. Two of the FX people "stole" some of the equipment from this film and used it to film their own film, Skyline, in order to show Sony that they can also make the same movie but on a much lower budget.
Yeah, so low budget in fact that the ending was dolls acting out what the ending to the movie would have been if the filmmakers didn't run out of money!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 9:50pm
This film was okay, it tries to be "black hawk down" with aliens instead of Somali's, but it lacks the pure chaoticness that made BHD enjoyable. The action scenes are good, but there are to many points where the movie just seemed to move at a crawl. Acting wise Aaron Eckhart is great as always, and the others do the best they can with what they have, but there are way too many of them and none of them get fleshed out (Amusingly enough this was BHD greatest problem too), save for Eckhart. overall it was fairly entertaining and you could do MUCH worse. I am a little disappointed though cause the trailers made it look epic in scale, but it wasn't bad enough to be a razzie contender in my opinion, and it certainly wasn't  a "rip-off" of Skyline, so if it was nominated for that category that would be silly.
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2011 at 10:50pm

So we know you people either thought Battle: Los Angeles was so-so, disliked it badly, or hated its guts. If you know what's worst, this movie will not get more than 2 nominations. I was on the fence over whether this would be one of ours since this past January, and now I'm certain it's bad, but not among the worst of the year. Probably Worst Screenplay would be the best fit because the characters weren't developed enough that we would care about them.

towelk View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote towelk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2011 at 8:28pm
Yes, indeed. Especially the latest versions.  

Originally posted by Vits

Not to mention that THE TERMINATOR had groundbreaking effects.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 3:24pm
I just saw it, and it's not anything like SKYLINE. If anything, it's as if someone took the PRESIDENT's cheesy pre-final battle speech from INDEPENDENCE DAY and tried to turn into a story. 

It's...boring. I'm sorry, can't give you an analysis, but it truly is boring. There isn't a character with a camera with the soldiers, so the mockumentary style makes no sense to the plot. And it doesn't add anything to the action. Not only is it as cliche as it can get, they copy the famous sequence from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN where there's an explosion and the audio dissapears (to show the character is temporally deaf).

I give this 0/10.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 4:07pm
Thank you, Vits... 

For a minute there, I thought that I was the only one here who disliked this that much...  

It's one big mess, you can't focus on one single individual because all the soldiers look alike during the over-the-top action sequences... So, I completely agree with you that this one is impossible to follow (and can therefor I, too, feel it's admittedly boring).  

Just out of curiousity, considering that you gave both this and Season of the Witch your lowest score, which one did you dislike most of the two?  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 4:49pm
This one.The other one was obvious how bad it was halfway through,but this one was obvious after 20-30 minutes.
josephnguyen View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote josephnguyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 5:01am
I genuinely liked reading through your post!. Quality material. I might advise you to come up with blogposts even more often. By doing this, having this kind of a worthy website I think you will probably rank higher in the search engines.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>