Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & INFO on BATTLE L.A.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FORUM MEMBER DISCUSSION of BATTLE L.A.
    Posted: August 11 2011 at 11:24am
Before I start my review, I should mention that my truck is out of the shop and the FD5 review will be tomorrow as planned. I should, also, mention that when I first say this I didn't mind it, giving it a B-. Re-watching on DVD, made me realize it wasn't very good.

The good:

The acting: Generally, I didn't mind the actors in this movie. They did their jobs adequately. The only actor that I would call close to exceptional is...

Michelle Rodriguez: She's been in this terrirtory before and she knows the motions.

The bad:

The special effects: While the special effects aren't as bad as Season Of The Witch or I Am Number Four, they still leave much to be desired.

The alien designs: The aliens are clearly based on (i.e. ripped-off from) District 9. I have to say, in terms of design, the aliens are the second worst in recent years, behind Skyline, THE WORST ALIEN INVASION MOVIE EVER!!!! (Edit: Whoops, forgot about Battlefield Earth, so second worst alien invasion movie!!!!) Hell, the Signs alines are more intimidating. At least they were cool before we found out the water weakness.

The ugly:

The shaky-cam: God, I HATE shaky-cam! The shaky-cam in this was SO bad, I actually got sick. Ever since, I make it a habit to sit  in the back-row so this doesn't happen again.

Well, that's the review. Unlike a lot of people here, I don't think that this should be considered a rip-off of Skyline. I've provided evidence that it's the other-way around. Here it is again: http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/battle-over-l-a-alien-invasion-films/. However, I don't mind if you consider it a rip-off of other like Black Hawk Down or the aforement District 9. Grade: C+

Next up: Gnomeo & Juliet!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
trhor View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote trhor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 2:27pm
Wow! I guess your review says it all!
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 6:13pm
I just saw the "mockbuster" BATTLE OF LOS ANGELES.It's probably not worth mentioning here because it went straight-to-DVD, but I just have to.  

I didn't have my hopes high because, how can a mockbuster improve on one of the worst movies of the year? This one is actually one the worst of all times. I mean it. Something inside of me kept making me not look at the screen.

So what is the problem with this movie? While the premise is more creative, the plot is more incomprehensible. And of course, it has horrid FX. The most dissapointing is that Kel Mitchell is in here (keep in mind I was born in 1990, so he was one of my idols as a kid).

Once again, I give it 0/10.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2011 at 6:22pm
What the f*ck -- Kel was in this? Kenan's on SNL. I think we all know who has the better career of these two.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
jeremiahgoo90 View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeremiahgoo90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 8:48am
Nice review! Hello to all btw. I am Jeremiah Goo from Romania. :d
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 11:21am
Hahaha, an Asylum mockbuster of a movie that bombed?! Well, that is a bright side of things when there's a cheap knockoff movie that's even worse than the bad "original" movie.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 1:10pm
Well, BATTLE OF LOS ANGELES was released the day after this movie. They assumed this was going to be a box office hit.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 1:48pm
Oh, how wrong they were!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:01pm
My family saw this one (they are all critics too so keep that in mind) they admitted it was bad but it was simply what it was made to be: cheesy fun. But should we think of it as a bad movie still?
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:23pm
Yes.They say it's a type of bad movie so it's a bad movie.
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:41pm
But can a movie that successfully does what it promises be truly bad? if so, is it Razzie worthy?

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 5:04pm
Let me put this way:Imagine yourself doing any bad thing.Now imagine yourself doing it on purpose.Is there much difference?I mean,it's what you intended,but what matters it's how it affects the rest.
tedholz View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote tedholz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 5:22pm
Well said mtnmel!
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 5:57pm
well sure but would you judge Machete the same way you would judge The Social Network? Machete knows it is a campy film. now I admit, I have not seen the film for myself but it may be something to think about particularly if it gets a Razzie nom.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 6:23pm
MACHETE won Worst Supp. Actress.But granted,that had nothing to do with the movie's quality.Yeah,I didn't judge it like THE SOCIAL NETWORK because it was campy on purpose.Although in that particular case,I still found it bad for other reasons.
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2011 at 7:42pm
From what I can tell, Jessica Alba won for Machete (among other movies she starred in that year), because she would keep getting Razzies nominations every year, but not win. So that year was her just desserts.
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>