Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Add'l INFO on PIRATES #4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4
    Posted: May 19 2011 at 1:28pm
1. Yes, from what I read, the "ending" to this movie will be wide open, so a sequel can be easily set up.
2. And like moviewizguy, I'm sure Mister Bruckheimer will be in denial that his movie sucks, even when hundreds of critics say otherwise.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:38pm
Roger Ebert(**/****):"For me,it's too much of a muchness".

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelope energizes it".
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:53pm
Er, wow! He just lost all credibillity as a serious film critic.
Originally posted by Vits

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelope energizes it".
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:31pm
As of right now, this movie has a Tomatometer rating of 36% and a Metascore of 46 (yellow).  Based on my figures, it is only in the running for Worst Prequel or Sequel.  It's not in my Top 10 or 12 for any of the other Razzie categories.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 7:34pm
Mister Roeper always had a crush on Penelope Cruz. Can you really blame him?  

As for the movie, unless something worse comes out, Worst Movie contender, and Worst Sequel, etc. for sure.  

Originally posted by Vits

Richard Roeper(B+):"The franchise is getting tired,but Penelopeenergizes it".
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 10:14am
I've just seen it in cinema's with my 16-year-old brother. And even though it wasn't really a very good movie, I found it was much better than either Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. So I was pleasently suprised by it (and I will probably not vote for it on the ballot in any category).  

The movie theater I was in, on the other hand, was dreadful. It was a very big cinema (probably one of the bigger ones in my country) and I watched the movie on such a big screen (which wasn't all that bad, of course), but in the beginning of the movie an employee of the theatre stood in front of the audience who started explaining what the movie was about, how to use the 3D-glasses and what previews came before the movie. Which of course was very annoying... Has anyone here experienced this before?  

They also didn't have a lobby to sell popcorn, instead they had a coffeebar (which would be fine if it were an arthouse theater, which it wasn't...)

The 3-D was not worth it, sometimes even very out of focus... One other bit of advice: never watch a subtitled movie in 3-D, because watching both the (flat) subtitles and the (3D) screen could make your head explode....  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:33am
You said you don't give ratings to movies, but could you rank the 4 PIRATES movies? 

Originally posted by Vheid

I've just seen it in cinema's with my 16 old brother. And eventhough it wasn't really a very good movie, I found it was much better than both Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. So I was pleasently suprised by it (and I will probably not vote for it on the ballot in any categorie).

Not me,but it sounds a little annoying. 

The movie theater I was in on the other hand was dreadfull. It was a very big cinema (probably one of the bigger ones in my country) and I watched the movie on such a big screen (which wasn't all that bad off course), but in the beginning of the movie an employee of the theatre stood in front of the audience who started explaining what the movie was about, how to use the 3D-glasses and what previews came before the movie. Which off course was very annoying... Has anyone here experienced this before?

Would you consider nominating the movie for Worst Use Of 3D

The 3D was not worth it, sometimes even very out of focus... Oh another advise never watch a subtitled movie in 3D, because watching both the (flat) subtitles and the (3D) screen will make your head spin....

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 3:27pm
Is there even going to be a Worst Use Of 3D award this year? I'll be seeing this sometime this week; I'll tell you how it is.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 4:00pm
Right...I think there's been more good than bad 3D movies so far.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 6:16pm
Except for 2009, when the special category was the worst of 200X due to the change of decade, and 2004, where the special categories were based on the RAZZIES' quarter-century birthday, there has been a trend bad enough to warrant a special category every year since 2002. I feel the need to keep the new special categories going, and I'm not ready to reuse one yet. What could be a trend for this year that's at least as bad as 3D, yet has never been used as a special category before?
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 9:41pm
I keep pointing out the the Worst Sequel/Remake category will be more bloated than a thousand pound man at Taco Bell this year, but there doesn't seem to a way to alter that category with the 28 possible contenders to choose from in 2011.   

Originally posted by GTAHater767

What could be a trend for this year that's at least as bad as 3D, yet has never been used as a special category before?
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 10:49pm
Vits, I'll try... The Curse of the Black Pearl (7/10), Dead Man's Chest (4/10), At Worlds End (3/10), At Stranger Tides (6/10)

I honestly agree with GTAhater that the Worst Misuse of 3D Category shouldn't be re-cycled...
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:04pm
Just saw this film today. My thoughts on the series:

*Curse of the Black Pearl: 9/10 - This is how you make a fantastic action-adventure with a great performance by Depp who provides a lot of humor in the film.
*Dead Man's Chest: 7/10 - Not as good as the first, but obviously still enjoyable with some incredible action scenes. Loved the cliffhanger, btw.
*At World's End: 5/10 - They could have cut out 90 minutes worth of scenes and unnecessary subplots in here. Honestly, this shouldn't have been 3 hours long. Could have been great but was, instead, bloated and boring. Nonetheless, Verbinski doesn't disappoint with the action (especially the climax battle).
*On Stranger Tides: 6.5/10 - Not as good as 1 and 2 but sooooooo much better than 3. Although the shortest in the series, the running time could still be cut about 30 minutes shorter, especially during the first hour (which dragged quite a bit). HOWEVER, from the point the mermaids come in to the end credits, it's such an enjoyable and entertaining film, which was missing in part 3. It's nothing special, but if you wanna have a fun time, you can do a lot worse. BTW, I didn't see this in 3D. There were so many night scenes that would have been incomprehensible to have seen them in 3D.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 11:23pm
The movie theater I went to only had a 3D-version of the movie. So, I didn't have a lot of options... 

Originally posted by moviewizguy

BTW, I didn't see this in 3D. There were so many night scenes that would have been incomprehensible to have seen them in 3D.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 5:41am
And we're back to reviews that never go below 5 or 6 out of 10. (SIGH!)
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2011 at 11:32am

With respect to the Pirates of the Caribbean series, I have no beef with moviewiz. Heck, I'd even agree with him that At World's End deserves 5/10, because I interpret that as mediocre. And just because I need to add my opinions, I'll do so. In fact, I'll remind everyone here that along with Worst-of lists for every year since 2000, I also have equal-sized Best of lists. With apologies to Michaels, my scale is from 0 to 20, with a different degree of good and bad attached to each number.

Black Pearl: 17/20 ("Excellent"). #20 on my Top 30 Films of 2003. Disney started off the series with a movie that deserves its popularity. This is what Captain Jack Sparrow should be remembered for.

Dead Man's Chest: 15/20 ("Very Good"). #21 on my Top 30 Films of 2006. This is an uncommon example of a sequel that, while not better than its predecessor, is still among the best of its year.

World's End: 10/20 ("Mediocre"). Ignored from my Top & Bottom 40 Films of 2007. This is where the Caribbean series navigated a wrong turn. They botched this one up, mostly with the length, but this definitely isn't anywhere near the worst film of 2007... but it IS among the worst movies that year that everyone saw.

Stranger Tides: 7/20 ("Marginal"). Had this been 3 hours long, I probably would've rated it lower. But the story is the worst thing about it. Even so, this may not be one of 2011's absolute worst.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>