Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Add'l INFO on PIRATES #4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4
    Posted: May 23 2011 at 7:25am
We saw this on Sunday. While there is nothing to rave about, I didn't see anything in it that is Razzie worthy. Even  a Worst Prequel/Sequel/Remake nomination would be more based on principle than substance imho. Incidentally we did not see it either in 3D or IMAX, and I didn't think either would have particularly added to it. The bad news, however, is that the nominal ending is a lukewarm setup for another installment, and if you sit through to the end of the credits, their is a final clip that is a dead on set up for the next one. As for box-office performance, it probably wasn't as good of an opening as Disney hoped domestically, but it did clobber everything else, and it set records internationally. So I don't think anyone in Mouseville is pulling the brake handle on Pirates V.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 7:15am

Originally posted by Vheid

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The promos for the new X-MEN movie, featuring a "pirated" speech by JFK and pre-adolescent X-Men characters, make that film look like like a potential contender to me. And both HANGOVER 2 and KUNG FU PANDA 2 appear to exist solely because their predecessors were big box office -- a harbinger of potential RAZZIE® Contenders as well.. As for SUPER 8, I am hoping the combined talents of J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg will produce something of merit, rather than another bloated-budget disappointment...

X-Men: First Class is currently at 100% on RT (it will drop off course, but I doubt that it will go below 70%). I expected something like this considering that it's director Matthew Vaughn was also responsible for last years superhero-hit Kick-Ass.

I guess we have to wait for when that Judy Moody-movie comes out, because this week doesn't seem to offer us much... 

beckypryan View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote beckypryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2011 at 11:34pm
It's time to quit. I agree that the Pirate movies have just gotten weaker and weaker. 
Becky
ejvind View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote ejvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 5:00am
I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4. YAWN... What a disappointment!  

After 3 fairly good movies, the fourth is just s-o-o-o-o l-o-o-o-o-ng and b-o-o-o-o-ring. I almost fell asleep several times, and I only managed to stay awake due to the woman sitting next to me sighing, moving about and yawning all through the movie.
And 3-D didn't even make the experience any better.

Sorry to say it, but Johnny Depp obviously needs someone else to play off of to make the character work - for me, he didn't deliver in this movie.
byron View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote byron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 6:48am
I saw the latest Pirates offering on Memorial day and was very disappointed!  It seems to me that each new installment gets a little worse, but I'm sure they will continue to make more Pirates movies as long as the make money.
27years View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote 27years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 9:16am
The first Pirates was a surprising good, fun movie with the great Jack Sparrow. For me that is definitely where it should have ended. The sequels has been nothing but a mess in my opinion. Weak stories, too much going on and repetitive...not to mention way too long. The once great Jack Sparrow is now just a watered down version of himself with the same old antics. Utterly boring. I find myself rolling my eyes when he is mentioned now. Tired, repetitive and predictable. 
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by 27years

The first Pirates was a surprising good, fun movie with the great Jack Sparrow. For me that is definitely where it should have ended. The sequels has been nothing but a mess in my opinion. Weak stories, too much going on and repetitive...not to mention way too long. The once great Jack Sparrow is now just a watered down version of himself with the same old antics. Utterly boring. I find myself rolling my eyes when he is mentioned now. Tired, repetitive and predictable. 
Yep. First movie = awesome. All sequels afterwards = suck (such is the way of ALL movie series).
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Razors View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2011 at 4:39pm
Oh dear, I fell asleep after about 15 minutes and woke to find the crew looking for a fountain with a mermaid. God knows what I missed but the end made no sense. Still Cruz looks hot in any movie these days.
byron View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote byron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2011 at 3:43am

Not that it would have made any difference to the quality of the movie, but what happened to Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley?

whatsthepoint View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote whatsthepoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 1:00pm
They weren't needed, and I am glad, since their characters dragged down the second and third films for me.
Alex View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 7:18am
Well,

I the only thing I can add to this discussion is, that I am happy that I watched this movie online and not in the cinema.

That would have been an even greate waster of time and money.

Even the soundtrack was very dissapointing this time.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 9:39am
Yours seems to be the collective mindset about movie watching these days.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Alex View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 4:52am
If it became the collective mindset, there wouldn't be movies anymore, because the film industry would be ruined if nobody went to the cinema or paid to rent DVDs...  

niceyeve View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote niceyeve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 11:01pm
I am so sad: I cannot see the Pirates of the Caribbean IV in my local cinema..I really waited for this movie for so long, and now the cinema here in our town will not show the movie! 
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:41am
This has become the 8th highest grossing movie of all times!It's behind the 2nd one.Why didn't the 1st one broke that record?!
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 11:45am
Because it wasn't an established franchise yet...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>