Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > Discussion & Add'l INFO on PIRATES #4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Member DISCUSSION of PIRATES #4
    Posted: July 03 2011 at 1:39pm
Yeah, here's an article that would go perfectly with the infamous song, "It's All About The Benjamins".

Sad, but true.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2011 at 2:42pm
Now it's in 7th,passing THE DARK KNIGHT.That only leaves LORD OF THE RINGS 3 and TOY STORY as the only movies considered excellent in the top 5.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
niel.tohe View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote niel.tohe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 6:45am
I just know that Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is very good    LenguaLenguaLenguaGran sonrisa
i like the pages of gambling like apuestas baloncesto and apuestas tenis visit them.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Vits

Now it's in 7th,passing THE DARK KNIGHT.That only leaves LORD OF THE RINGS 3 and TOY STORY as the only movies considered excellent in the top 5.
We have noted this before, but using box-office grosses as the measure of ranking movies is ridiculous. A more accurate measure would either be ticket sales or some sort of inflation-adjusted system. The trend of releasing movies in 3D has so grossly inflated box-office totals that the system is now entirely meaningless.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 9:02am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

We have noted this before, but using box-office grosses as the measure of ranking movies is ridiculous. A more accurate measure would either be ticket sales or some sort of inflation-adjusted system. The trend of releasing movies in 3D has so grossly inflated box-office totals that the system is now entirely meaningless.
I, for one, am not looking at box office grosses as a measure of filmmaking quality. I see it for what it really is, a way to tell which was the most COMMERCIALLY successful movie.
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
jesse685 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jesse685 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 5:42pm
Now we know why we don't pay good money to see this s**t, and knowing is half the battle.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 1:46pm
As promised in my Your Highness review, I'm doing "good, bad, and ugly" reviews for all the movies that I've seen on this forum that are bad enough. Since this is easily the most tolerable of the movies that qualify, this'll be the first one. So, without further ado, let's start.

The good:

Johnny Depp: This may be one of Depp's weaker performance, but, it's tolerable.

Penelope Cruz: She's hot and she steals the show.

Ian McShane: McShane made for a good BlackBeard.

Voodoo zombies: Voodoo zombies have been a favorite underused horror movie monster since I saw Serpent And The Rainbow.

The bad:

The 3D: While's it's better than FartBender's 3D and it was actually shoot in 3D, it felt like they just shot it to get more money.

The mermaid and the Christian: Acting is not their strong suits.

The ugly:

The running time: Good God, this was too long. If it was shorter, I'd probably have it in the "not bad enough pile".

Well, that's the show. Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is a half-assed cash-in, but, as half-assed cash-ins go, it's an entertaining one. Grade: B-.

Next up: Drive Angry!
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 1:52pm
Congrats,dude.The fact that you have a particular style in reviewing and your own catchphrases makes you closer to being a pro-critic.
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

While's it's better than FartBender's 3D and it was actually shoot in 3D, it felt like they just shot it to get more money.

What other reasons exist?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

The running time: Good God, this was too long.

Really?I mean,it was shorter than the previous one,but it felt longer?
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2011 at 2:43pm
While this was shorter than At World's End,  it's content doesn't justify it's length. I don't mind long movies, it's over-long movies that grind my gears. For example, Tree Of Life was long as hell, but it didn't go over-long IMO. Meanwhile, Bridesmaids, funny as hell as it was, was a bit over-long. Still the funniest movie of the year, though. Thanks for the feedback, the Drive Angry review will be up later tonight.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2011 at 1:07pm
It was a slight bit better than 2 and 3 but that is still saying nothing because this one wasn't too good either. They still put a lot of "who is fighting on which side and why?" crap in there. It was mediocre at best. A typical Disney blockbuster sequel at worst. They should have stopped at 1. But there are two more coming so...
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 2:14pm
I just saw it,but won't review it.

While it's shorter than the previous one,it feels longer.I mean,it drags on forever!The 1st action sequence(JACK's escape)was very thrilling,but all the others are boring.And some are unnecessary.JACK and BLACKBEARD discuss the mutiny and the former tries to say how it served a purpose.Maybe for you,but not for me.

This one gets closer to the first one in the sense that it also tries to be an old fashioned adventure movie.But in old fashioned adventure movie sagas,the installments have the same characters but different stories.But you stablish that rule in the 1st sequel,not the 3rd.By now,I expect nothing less than continuity between the installments.So I was dissapointed to see such a poorly constructed plot that was actually less than it seemed.And it was bad enough not having WILL & ELIZABETH,it was embarrasing how they tried replacing them(I think you know with whom).

I give this 3/10.

For Your Consideration:
-Actor:No.Depp doesn't do anything special,but it's because it's a 3rd sequel performance.At least he got a few zany one-liners(enphazise on "a few").
-Actress(or Supp. Actress?):No.Cruz's character wasn't exactly a good addition,but so was the whole movie.Her performance was decent.
-Supp. Actor:Yes.Not McShane(same thoughts that with Cruz),nor Rush,who's more over-the-top than before,but Richard Griffiths.That's right.While he's in 1 maybe 2 minutes and his performance can only be described as "campy bad".And cameos have been nominated in the past.
-Director:No.Rob Marshall knew which shoes he had to fill in,and he pays respects to Gore Verbisnki.
-Screenplay:Yes.Despite the feeling of "quick paycheck" in the other sequels,this one feels like they just threw ideas and then filled them with...well,filling.
-Couple/Ensemble:No.
-Prequel/Sequel:Yes.Aside from being bad,it actually gives a bad name to the whole franchise.
-Mis-Use Of 3D:I don't know.
-CGI Ridden Movie:No.This one relied less on CGI than the other installments.
-Picture:Maybe,if none of my 1 star movies get it.
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 4:48pm
This franchise is running on fumes already. It sickens me that they are seriously considering a 5th and 6th movie!
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

This franchise is running on fumes already. It sickens me that they are seriously considering a 5th and 6th movie!

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." I mean, I don't think I can ever get tired of Jack Sparrow because he's such a unique character. Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.
Lord Naseby View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lord Naseby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by moviewizguy

Originally posted by SuperTeenTopia

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." I mean, I don't think I can ever get tired of Jack Sparrow because he's such a unique character. Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.

You may not be tired of Sparrow but Depp is. He's burnt out on the series right now.
Lord Naseby read my reviews!

http://lordnasebyblog.blogspot.com/
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 8:29pm

No dude, the franchise has been running on fumes since the second and third movie, when all they were doing was repeating the best lines and reenacting the best scenes from the first movie. That's called being lazy. Yes, Jack Sparrow is entertaining, but if you put him in a movie that's a lazy, half-assed cash grab, it's still a crappy movie.

As my slightly odd grandfather would say, you can shine a turd up all you want, in the end, it's just a shiny turd (ie. Jack Sparrow is the shine, the Pirates franchise is the turd).
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:16am
I forgot to mention something berry important.The plot was based on the novel ON STRANGER TIDES,which means this is a sequel and a remake.It can be nominated for both awards!

I don't think they're "running out of fumes." Even POTC4 made a lot of money internationally, so I don't think this franchise is going to end any time soon.
I think he/she was referring to the quality of the franchise,not the popularity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234