Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum member reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 34>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum member reviews
    Posted: October 22 2013 at 8:58pm
Time to review Godzilla: Final Wars. You either love this film or hate it. Considering that I'm reviewing it, you can guess what side I fall on.

There's one thing that everyone who watches this film loves even if they hate the rest of it: the fight with Zilla. To those who don't know what that is, it's the Godzilla from the Razzie-winning1998 version with Matthew Broderick. He's called Zilla because the people at Toho don't think he deserves to have God in his name. The fight lasts for less then 20 seconds and it's absolutely hilarious. Also awesome is the final battle between Godzilla and Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah. Especially since it's one of the few fights in the film that isn't a total anti-climax.

As mentioned in the last sentence most of the fights in the film are over quickly. Especially annoying is the fight with Hedorah. When Hedorah and Godzilla first fought Godzilla almost died. In this, Hedorah goes down like a pussy. Hell, freaking King Caesar's fight goes on longer and he's an awful monster. In addition, the plot is blatantly ripped-off from Destroy All Monsters. The only difference is that the fights were awesome in that one. Okay, there's another difference...

That difference is that Godzilla is the main focus in Destroy All Monsters. In this one, the main focus are on a bunch of humanoid aliens called the Xilians. They're incredibly annoying characters and the actors playing them are hammy and annoying. They also have mutant powers and they all wear black leather. So yeah, they only exist because the producers got high and watched X-Men one time and said "Hey let's put this in the movie! And let's make them the main focus of the film! Sure, people might be expecting to see more of Godzilla in what's supposed to be our final Godzilla film, but I think the fans will like it!"

Strangely, some Godzilla fans think that this is the best in the Godzilla series. Yeah, no. 

My Grade: C-  

Next-up: Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw III! 

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2013 at 10:38pm
Like most sequels that come more than a decade after the original, many people were wondering why a Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 was made. Unlike most sequels made more than a decade after the original, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 was actually good. The third Texas Chainsaw Massacre film (called Leatherface), on the other hand, is as bad as you'd imagine the second one to be.

There are small pockest of enjoyment to the film. Viggo Mortenson is amusing in an early role as a villain who, according to Mortenson himself, is gay. There's a weird, if kind of darkly funny, scene where Leatherface is playing with a See 'N' Say. A picture of a clown shows up and Leatherface types in food. Get it, because he's a cannibal!

Other than Mortenson, the acting is bad. Especially awful is Kate Hodges as the designated chick. She spends 87% of her screen-time screaming at the top of her lungs. Not helping matters is that she has a very annoying scream. The usually reliable Ken Foree is suprisingly bland as Benny. How'd he go from Dawn Of The Dead to this piece of junk. Not helping Foree, the fate of his character is one of the dumbest parts of the film. But, that's for the next segment.

There are several odd continuity errors with this film. Early in the film, a reporter played by Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 star Caroline Williams, shows up. On the commentary track, director Jeff Burr confirms that her character in this is Strecth from the second one. This seems to indicate that the second is considered canon by this one. Except the opening of this film balatantly contradicts the previous film. It's stated that none of Leatherface's family members have been apprehended by the police. In the opening for Texas Chainsaw 2, it's stated that one of the members has been arrested. Huh? Continuity errors aside, the biggest downfall of the film is one of my most hated tropes: executive meddling! There was several incredibly violent scenes that were cut down to get an R-rating. I watched the unedited version once and it's not any more gruesome than a Saw sequel, and they all got an R. But the worst example of their meddling would be the fate of Benny. In the original version, Benny dies. But, since test audiences liked him so much, he was shown to survive the attack. Considering how his death (Leatherface jams his chainsaw in his face) is so violent, you'd think that they'd re-shoot his whole death scene. Except they don't change the scene at all, they just add a scene to the end where Benny shows up with a gash in his head. Yes, really.

Still not as bad as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation! 

My Grade: C-  

Next-up: Predator 2!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 10:41pm
Time to review Predator 2, one of the most reviled sequels of the early '90s. Unlike most bad sequels, it's not a pointless retread of the original. However, in making it seem like a new movie, it goes way too far in the opposite direction.

The best performance in the film comes from Bill Paxton as a cowboy cop named Lambert. He gives an entertaining performance and he gets a cool death. Despite being miscast as Harrigan, Danny Glover does the best he can with the material he's given. Gary Busey and Adam Baldwin ham it up as government agents. I would put them in the bad section, but this film is so boring that their hammy performances livened it up.

Morton Downey, Jr. basically plays himself as a shock TV producer. He's impossibly annoying. The only scene with him that's not completely painful is the one where Harrigan knocks him out. Since this is his last scene in the film, I'd like to imagine that the punch knocked him into an irreversible coma. There's a weird scene where a man is accosted by a couple of punks who intend to rob him. The man then pulls out a gun and threatens them. The scene is a take that aimed at Bernie Goetz (the actor playing the guy even looks like him) who shot several teens who he claimed were threatening him. Despite being a take that aimed at vigilante justice, it completely botches its message. Since the punks were intending to rob him, it comes off more like self-defense than vigilante justice. The point is further diliated due to faux-Goetz not actually shooting any of them.

The film's idea of what L.A. would be like in 1997 is hilariously wrong. The gangs have military grade weapons and the cops act more like soldiers than officers of the law. Yeah, that didn't actually end of happening. Kind of like how The Jetsons predicted we'd have flying cars by 2002. The special effects are a lot worse than the first one. The scene where Gary Busey is cut in half by the Predator's blade is ruined by how awful the effects are. I didn't actually realize what happened at first because of how bad it was. The film is racist is times, especially when the voodoo gangsters are on-screen. They're basically Screwhead from Marked For Death, except more stereotypical. Yes, a Steven Seagal movie had a more nuanced approach to something. The film drops the ball from the get go. It imitates the first by being a non-sci-fi genre film and then turning into a sci-fi horror movie. However, the film completely botches it. It botches it so badly that I wonder if they actually saw the first one. For the first 30-40 minutes of the first one, it's a basic jungle action movie. Then the Predator shows up and it changes genre. In this one, it's an urban crime thriller for 10 minutes before changing into a sci-fi horror movie. After this, the film alternates between the two genres. And this is handled badly. When the genre changed in the first one, it stayed a sci-fi horror movie. There weren't any other banana republic soldiers to fight. Another bad thing about the film does is how the gore level is ramped-up. The original was very bloody, but this film is violent like an exploitation movie. It's cartoonish and unnecessary. But, the biggest sin of the film is Stephen Hopkins' direction. His action scenes are boring and poorly shot.

What was up with the little kid with the candy in this film? And why did the writers think it would be a good idea for the Predator to ask if his victims wanted candy? 

My Grade: D 

Next-up: Jason X!!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 9:30pm
Time to review Jason X, probably the dumbest film in the Friday The 13th franchise. However, the film's stupidity is kind of funny. In fact, it's really funny. So funny that this is going to be a 9 "Best" Things review.

9.) David Cronenberg's cameo...and his death scene: Cronenberg has a weird (and funny) cameo as a scientist who's interested in Jason's healing abilities. Naturally, he gets killed by Jason.

8.) Janessa "improves" her grades: There's an absurd scene that comes completely out of nowhere before Jason awakens on the ship. In it Janessa sleeps with her teacher so she can pass her class. Strangey, she seems to be showing less skin during this scene. Also, for some reason, she's using nipple clamps on him.

7.) Jason chops Azrael's arm off while still frozen: Just goes to show you, even when he's frozen and not conscious, Jason is still a badass.

6.) "Guys, it's okay! He just wants his machete back!" God damn this is probably the dumbest movie teacher ever. Why did he think that's all he wanted?

5.) Death by liquid nitrogin: One of the most memorable kills in the film is when Jason dunks Adrienne's head in liquid nitrogin and then smashes it against a table. I'm not sure how Jason knew that would happen, but either way the frozen head looks so bad it's funny.

4.) Janessa' death: Janessa gets sucked into the cold vacuum of space where no one will be able to hear her annoying lines. Before she gets sucked out, she says the immortal line "This sucks on so many levels!"

3.) Kay-Em shows off her nipples... which then fall off: In another weird and pointless scene from before Jason re-awakens, Kay-Em (who's a robot) is showing off her nude body to her owner, who's implied to be screwing her, making him a robosexual. For reasons unknown to anyone, her nipples fall off. And speaking of Kay-Em...

2.) Jason V.S. Kay-Em!: Kay-Em, dressed like Alice from Resident Evil, takes on Jason. And, in a scene oddly reminescent of the Black Knight scene from Monty Python And The Holy Grail, actually kills Jason. Sure, he's revived as cryborg, but it's still funny and kind of awesome.

1.) The holygram girls: Anyone who's seen this film knew that they were going to be number 1. In addition to being hilarious, it's the purest distillation of what happens in the Friday The 13th movies: beer, drugs, premarital sex, and a horrible death.

I'd rather re-watch this a bunch of times than Friday The 13th V again. 

My Grade(s): 

Quality: D  

Entertainment: B+  

Next-up: The Last Exorcism Part II!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 10:19pm
Time to review The Fly II, one of the worst and most pointless horror sequels ever. Instead of subverting expectations like the first one (i.e. the jealous boyfriend is actually a nice guy), this one just regurgitates them wholesale. It's so bad, that I'm going to do a 9 worst things review.

9.) The special effects: The special effects in this film are a massive step down from the previous one, which came out 4 years before this one. With most crappy fx-driven sequels, the effects improve while the story declines. Here they both decline, the story declining more though.

8.) Daphne Zuniga: After her star-making turn in Spaceballs, many thought Zuniga would make a good movie star. She was cute, had good comedic timing, and was poised to break out. Then she stared in this and was exiled to Melrose Place. She gives a bad performance as an atypically hot scientist.

7.) The sex scene: At one point in the film, Zuniga and Martin Brundle have sex. This wouldn't be so bad except Martin is technically six. So, she's technically a pedophile. That's something the writers should have noticed.

6.) Eric Stoltz: Stoltz is incredibly bland as Martin Brundle, son of Seth. Much like Gaspard Ulliel in Hannibal Rising, his bad performance is only magnified by how great his predecessor is. A lot of people (including Siskel and Ebert) thought that Jeff Goldblum should have received an Oscar nomination for his acting.

5.) Anton Bartok: Bartok, played boringly by Lee Richardson, is every boring evil rich white guy cliche rolled into one bland performance.

4.) The actionized ending: The ending of the film turns the film into a half-assed remake of Commando starring a man and a crappy fly-suit.

3.) The golden retriever scene: This is one of the most repulsive scenes in movie history and pissed a lot of people off when it came out. It's so disgusting, that I was considering just ending this section right here, but an explanation is needed. Early in the film, child-Martin befriends an adorable golden retriever. The retriever is then used in a teleporter test and it's turned into a disfigured monster. The retriever is held for medical testing for years before adult-Martin finds it and puts it out of its misery. The scene is disgusting and absolutely unnecessary to the plot.

2.) The pumped-up (and unnecessary) violence: The 1986 version of The Fly was violent, but the violence wasn't gratuitous. The violence in this one totally is gratuitous. I already mentioned the awful golden retriever scene, but there's more. During the actionized ending, Martin (now in Martinfly mode) spits acid on a man's face. The man then accidentally pulls his whole face off. And that's not getting into Bartok's fate. However, despite all the added violence...

1.) The film is actually lighter than the first: Despite being more violent, the film has a happy ending. Yes, really. The film traded in tragedy for crowd-pleasing as Martin and his pedophile girlfriend live happily ever after and Bartok is now a hideous monster being experimented upon.

If John Getz hadn't reprised his role of Stathis, I would be convinced that no one involved with this film had even seen the first one. 

My Grade: F  

Next-up: I Spit On Your Grave double review!!!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 9:40pm
Time to review both versions of I Spit On Your Grave. I'm doing something very different for today. I'm going to list 9 aspects of both films and decide which films does it better.

1.) Jennifer: Jennifer (played by Camille Keaton in the original and Sarah Butler in the remake) is main character of both films. Both performances are awful, but I have to give thr original the edge because of the last twist that the remake gives to her. At the end of the remake, to draw out Sheriff Storch, Jennifer kidnaps his completely innocent daughter. It's not revealed what happens to her, but the film implies that Jennifer killed her. This is absolutely despicable, even by the standards of this film. Less bad: original.

2.) Unoriginality: The only reason why the original exists is because of Wes Craven's The Last House On The Left. The only difference is that in Last House, it's the family that gets the revenge. Oh, and also Last House is actually good. As shamefully unoriginal as this is, the remake might be worse in this department. The only reason the remake exists is because of the remake of The Last House On The Left. So it rips-off the same movie twice, except knida not really. It's like the Inception of rip-offs. Less bad: original.

3.) Overall directorial skill: The director of the original Meir Zarchi made his directorial debut with it. It shows painfully as the film is horribly directed. The scenes are mostly boring to his incompetence. The only scenes that aren't boring and infuriatingly disgusting. the director of the remake Steven R. Monroe has directed several films before so he shows slightly more skills. Some of his previous films include Ogre, Sasquatch Mountain, and The Beach Boys: Nashville Sounds. Less bad: remake.

4.) The villains' intelligence: The rapists in the original are some of the dumbest characters in movie history. The rapist that acts the smartest is Matthew, who, apparently, was supposed to be mentally retarded. They see a woman that they raped and left for dead. She tells them that she wants to sleep with them. Their first response to this is to go along and not question why a woman that they've abused horrifically wants to have sex with them. The rapists in the remake are much, much, much smarter. Their first response on seeing Jennifer is to run like Hell. Less bad: remake.

5.) The character of Matthew: As mentioned in the previous one, Matthew is supposed to be retarded in the original. Thanks to poor writing and a rancidly bad performance from Richard Pace, this doesn't come off that way. In the remake, Matthew, played almost as badly by Chad Lindberg, is meant to seem more like a naive and easily bossed around guy with awful friends than a retarded man. Less bad: remake.

6.) The kills: The kills in the original film are repulsive and disgusting. The kills in the remake or alao repulsive and disgusting, but there's one that's unintentionally hilarious. In the unintentionally hilarious one, Jennifer holds a guys' eyes open with fish hooks and puts fish guts on them. This causes crows to fly in and peck his eyes out. The crows are rendered in CGI. Hilariously awful CGI. So awful, that I had a temporary reprieve from the repulsiveness of the rest of the film. Less bad: remake.

7.) Non-rapist characters: The only non-rapist characters in the original is the family of one of the rapists. The father of the family is one fo the first to be killed and the wife is nervous and sad about it. It's one of the few scenes that don't suck and is kind of sad, especially since she doesn't know what a monster it is. In the remake, the rapists' family is still their, but they get less development. But there's a character that played by Bob from Tim Burton's Batman in the remake too, so let's call this one a tie. Less bad: draw.

8.) The script: I could go into details about which one had the worse script, but the original is the worst one. For example, go read point #4. Less bad: remake.

9.) The rape scene: Most of the rape scenes in the movie are disgusting and go on for waaay too long, but the choice is an obvious one. The rape scene in the original is shot disturbingly shot like a normal sex scene. It makes the scene even more disgusting. The rape scene in the remake is also disgusting, but it isn't shot as luridly. Less bad: remake.

Final tally: original: two and a half points, remake: six and a half points. The less bad one: the remake!!

MY GRADES:

The Original: Rotten Asshole

The Remake: D-

Next-up: A Nightmare On Elm Street 4!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 7:08pm
Time for my review A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. This one has a dumb story, but it's not all bad.

This film is probably the best in terms of visuals. The cinematography in the dream scenes are great. A couple of the kills are interesting. Kincaid's death (he's stalked by Freddy through a junk yard) is nerve-wrecking. Sheila's death is one of the quickest deaths in the franchise. It's also one of the more disturbing ones. Freddy literally sucks the breath out of her. Also, Lisa Wilcox gives a good performance as Alice, the title dream master.

Some of the other deaths are stupid. A lot of people think that Debbie's death is disturbing, bit I just don't see it. Freddy turns her into a giant cockroach (she's afraid of them) which could be scary. Then he kills her with a giant roach motel, which ruins it. But as dumb as that was, Rick's death is the dumbest. He fights and invisible Freddy. Freddy spouts some of the dumbest puns in the franchise until the fifth one during this scene.

While the dream scenes are visually great, the awake scenes are boring as Hell. This can be chalked up the fact that this one was directed by four time Worst Director nominee Renny Harlin. But, any review of A Nightmare On Elm Street 4 can't not mention the one of the dumbest scenes in the franchise, even when compared to the later sequels. The scene I'm talking about is how the film brings Freddy back. He's revived when Kincaid's dog Jason pees fire on Freddy's corpse. This is somehow able to bring him back. I don't know either.

There's one important note before I hand out my grade: this will be the last year I review one of the Nightmare On Elm Street films for a while. I think all of the other Nightmare On Elm Street films are actually good. 

I might review Freddy V.S. Jason in the future, but only when I run out of Friday The 13th films to review.

My grade: C

Next-up: Manos: The Hands Of Fate!!!!  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 8:03am
Even the remake?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I think all of the other Nightmare On Elm Street films are actually good.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 1:39pm
I reviewed the remake last year and I gave it a C-.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 8:33pm
Time to review Manos: The Hands Of Fate, one of the most infamous movies of all time. I was considering making this a 9 worst things review, but I was able to make it into a regular review.

The musical score for the film is surpisingly good considering the film's pedigree. The musical piece that everyone knows (and loves) is, of course, Torgo's Theme. And speaking of him, Torgo's the most popular character in the film and for good reason. Actor John Reynolds gives a hilarious performance as him.

Dianna Mahree is bland as Margaret. It could just be the dub ruining her performance, but her facial expressions are at near-Kristen Stewart levels in terms of dull surprise. Well, that's it for the bad. Everything else about the film is really bad!

One of the more befuddling things about the film is the kissing couple. It's just two teenagers making out in a car. Their main contribution to the plot is to tell the cops that they saw Michael and Margaret pass by. Apparently, the kissing girl was supposed to be one of The Master's wives, but she broke her leg and the modeling agency forced Hal P. Warren to cast her anyway. Why he couldn't have come up with a better role for her is a mystery. He could have cast her as one of the women at the end and just not have her leave the car. The grown woman who dubbed over Debbie (the little girl) is awful! She sounds absolutely nothing like a little girl. The dub-work is so bad, that Jackey Neyman (Debbie's actress) reportedly cried when hearing it for the first time. Also awful about the film is some of the creepy sexual scenes. For starters, Torgo has a disturbing crush on Margaret. He tries to grab her hair and oogles her through a window. And then there's the fact that he was apparently molesting the Master's wives. And speaking of the wives, the end reveals that they now include Debbie. Making it even worse, the actor playing The Master is Jackey Neyman's dad Tom. Only an idiot would make that casting decision. Of course, Hal P. Warren was an idiot. He couldn't direct, act, or write. His character Michael is one of the most unintentionally unlikable characters in film history. He dismisses every concern that his wife has and makes Torgo (who can't walk well) carry the luggage into the hotel. When he wants to leave later, he yells at Torgo to move faster. Asshole.

Apparently, Torgo was supposed to be a satyr. However, nothing in the film hints at it.

My grade: D-

Next-up: Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 9:39pm
Time to review Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers, one of the worst of the Halloween franchise. Since this one is so awful, this is going to be a "9 worst things review."  

9.) Young Paul Rudd: Rudd is pretty bad in one of his first big screen roles. Interestingly, this was released the same year as his break-out role in Clueless. He plays Tommy Doyle, the little boy that Laurie was babysitting in the original one. This would be evidence that the makers had seen the original but the next example casts doubt on that.

8.) The new and "improved" Myers house: In the first two Halloween films, the Myers house was reasonably sized. In this one, it's a frickin' gothic mansion! It makes no sense that a normal-sized house morphed into a gigantic mansion.

7.) John Strode: John Strode is the designated horror movie parent of the film and one of the most unlikably repugnant characters in film history. The only reason he exists was so audiences would have someone to cheer for when Michael kills him. He feels like a character from Rob Zombie's Halloween films.

6.) The pipe scene: There's an incredibly bizarre scene late in the film. Tommy comes across Michael and starts beating him with a pipe. While he's beating him, green slime starts to ooze from his mask. When the mask is found at the end, it's clean. Considering the next point, there's probably a logical explanation.

5.) Executive meddling: Yes, the ugly spectre of executive meddling rears its ugly head again. Apparently, there's an entirely different version of this in Disney's vault called the producer's cut. Some differences that I've heard about include a different death for Jamie Lloyd and the entire last 20 minutes are different. This probably explains why the mask doesn't have slime in the regular version. They screened the producer's cut four days at New Beverly Cinema in California so maybe we'll be able to see what happens in it.

4.) The death of Jamie Lloyd: Lloyd gets a disturbingly gruesome death at the hands of a corn-harvester. Not only does it make the last two films pointless in hindsight, but they didn't even bring Danielle Harris back. Worse, Harris actually wanted to reprise it, but the executives shot her down because they didn't have enough money to pay her.

3.) The death of Samuel Loomis: Not only do they kill of one of the main characters of the franchise, they did it off-screen too! Now, the decision to do this was definitely Donald Pleasence's death during production, but couldn't they have thought of a better end to him? Even worse, Loomis apparently survives in the producer's cut, so they could have just used footage from their instead of giving an important character an undignified send-off.

2.) All that Cult of Thorn bullsh*t: Apparently, the Cult of Thorn is responsible for all the evil acts that Michael has done. And they taught him how to drive too! They do this because it will lead to world peace... somehow. This is one of worst plot-tiwsts in movie history. From what I hear, the Cult of Thorn is handled better in the producer's cut where they're supernatural characters. This also explains how Michael was able to survive everything in the previous films.

1.) The reveal of the Man in Black: In the previous Halloween film, a mysterious man in black shows several times throughout the movie and busts Michael out of jail at the end. His identity is revealed in this one to be Terrence Wynn, a minor character from the first film. It's such an obscure reference that it retroactively makes number 8 worse because it means tha makers did see the original one and still made the Myers house into a mansion. Worse, in an earlier script, the man in black was going to be revealed as Michael's dad, which could have been interesting.

Well, that's it for Horror Movie Month 3, before I give out my grade, here's a couple of movies that I was planning on reviewing this month, but couldn't find the time to. They'll be reviewd next year: Amityville Horror II, Child's Play 3, and Ghost Ship.

My grade: F

Next-up: Jonah Hex!
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 3:32am

THE CALL (2013) 

This film has many problems, but the huge problem is that "The Call" doesn't know what it wants to be. Don't know what I'm talking about? Well let me explain.

Jordan Turner (Halle Berry) is a 911 dispatcher who tries to help a kidnapped girl (Abigail Breslin) escape a violent serial killer over a suspenseful phone call. Despite the problems this film has, it does a really good job keeping you interested and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Also, it's an interesting premise to see how the system between Police officers and 911 dispatchers work. However, I felt as though "The Call" could've gone deeper in some way. I don't know, it just feels like something was missing from this movie. Also, the characters seemed to be one noted and not really interesting. Even the psychologically warped serial killer isn't really that interesting. With that being said, I do have to admit the acting in the film was pretty solid. Halle Berry was so enjoyable to watch, I almost forgot she is a Razzie winning Actress. And no, I am not letting that terrible performance in Catwoman go.

The writing in "The Call" can be really distracting as well. This is obviously a really serious film then why in the middle of a 911 phone call is the dispatcher asking the victim what her favorite movie is? Why is she asking about her Zodiac sign? This might work in a thriller parody, but it certainly doesn't work in a film like this. But, here is the huge issue I have with this movie. By the time the climax starts to unfold, "The Call" goes from a suspenseful thriller to a cheap and rather graphic horror movie. It's okay to have horror elements in a crime thriller, but you shouldn't change the tone of a film altogether. It makes the whole theme and point of the film seem rather pointless. Another big issue I have with the film is the theme a matter of fact. It's a good moral, it's all about keeping calm under pressure and not to get too emotional doing a serious job. Well the point becomes rather pointless when the dispatcher becomes the crazy woman from "I Spit On Your Grave". It just breaks the purpose and we all feel like idiots for caring about a movie that seemed so serious and ended up being something we seen in other revenge flicks.

There are some good things about "The Call," and indeed it's not the worst film of the year, but there are still so many cinematic mistakes that it makes. A screwed up moral, hokey writing and not so interesting characters make this film just another forgettable thriller when it could've been so much more. 

If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2013 at 7:10am
I think the character asked those questions to try and get the girl to settle down, and to create a bond between them. 

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

The writing in "The Call" can be really distracting as well. This is obviously a really serious film then why in the middle of a 911 phone call is the dispatcher asking the victim what her favorite movie is? Why is she asking about her Zodiac sign? 

By the time the climax starts to unfold, "The Call" goes from a suspenseful thriller to a cheap and rather graphic horror movie. It's okay to have horror elements in a crime thriller, but you shouldn't change the tone of a film altogether.

My problem with this is less that it happened and more that it was done incredibly badly. Predator and Psycho did genre shifts well, but those seemed planned from the beginning. With this one, it felt like the writer couldn't think of a good way to end the film, and just decided to turn to a generic horror movie ending.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 7:17pm
I have decided to put my Dirty Love Review on hold to review another Razzie Classic... Xanadu! :)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 7:58pm
So, you're reviewing a movie with more laughs instead.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 8:13pm
I think Head Razz called Xanadu the evil twin of "Can't Stop The Music". So I hope at least I get a few laughs out of this film.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 34>