Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Movies in General...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum member reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>
Author
Message / View First Unread Post
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum member reviews
    Posted: June 26 2014 at 2:40pm
Wouldn't it have been easier for you to make a versus review? You know, like with the "Movie vs book" reviews you've written?
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 6:23pm
COLOR OF NIGHT (1994)

Color of Night is sort of like watching a film directed and written by Tommy Wiseau. There are a lot of awkward and unintentionally funny scenes in this film. It's honestly hard to describe anything without grinning from ear to ear. The acting, writing and directing is so horrendously bad and yet good. Let's look at this insane case called "Color of Night".

Bill Capa (Bruce Willis) is a psychiatrist who has suffered the traumatic event of one of his patients jumping out of his office window. This leads him to go visit his other therapist friend in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, this friend ends up getting murdered. I would describe the rest of the plot, but I just can't. Why? Two reasons: Firstly we would be here all day. What doesn't happen in this movie? Car chases, lovemaking, dual identities, general insanity and some more lovemaking. Secondly, I don't think even the movie itself knows what it wants to do and what it wants to be. There are times when the whole Murder Mystery thing is completely forgotten because the film got caught up with something else. I would say the film shows signs of multiple personality Disorder.

The acting and Dialogue in Color of Night is the main highlight. Anything that is said by Detective Martinez usually gets a laugh. Lesley Ann Warren is wonderfully over the top and of course Jane March as a young man is hilariously bad. However, Bruce Willis offers nothing to this movie at all. He really doesn't want to have campy fun with his role and because of that resistance he fails the hardest here. But I will say this: he knows how to have sex on camera. Seriously, his sex scenes with Jane March (as a woman of course) are just a treat to watch. The only time I believe these two have any connection as a couple is when they're butt naked doing it like Rabbits. I might sound like a Perv saying that but it's really true.

I really wish this movie had more laughs and more focus though. There are a long stretches of boring and unneeded things. This movie doesn't know just how incompetent it is Therefore, it tries it's hand at character development mostly with the crew of psychotics Willis is in charge of. With the exception of Lesley Ann Warren, I find none of these insane people that interesting. Yeah, Brad Dourif is kind of funny but his character is still dry as hell. Maybe if the screenwriters had more fun the audience would.

Here is my "Final Analysis" (wink) on Color of Night. It has a mixture of both Bipolar Disorder and Paranoid Schizophrenia. It's an insane and unintentionally hilarious piece of S*it. Let me put it this way, as a Mystery/Drama it fails. As a Comedy, it rules!
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2014 at 4:47pm
Time to review Caddyshack II, one of the worst movies of all time. This review is going to be similar to my review of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which means this is going to be a list of the ways that the new one fails in comparison to the original. However, this isn't going to be a 9 worst things list: as I mentioned in my most hated movies list, Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfield refused to do this film and their characters were replaced. I'm going to look at the replacements for them (and Ted Knight, who died before this went into production) and why exactly they pale in comparison to the original characters.

1.) The snob: The predominant comedy genre in the '80s was the "Snobs V.S. Slobs" genre, which Caddyshack practically invented, where uptight rich people clashed with less rich people who just wanted to party. The snob in the original Caddyshack was Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight. He was angry with Rodney Dangerfield's Al Czervik for trying to drag down the country club with his attitude. Al did drop an anchor through his boat, but they hated each other before this happened. It was a perfect embodiment of the snob: he hated people who weren't obsessed with getting richer and just wanted to have fun. The snob in Caddyshack II is Robert Stack's character*, and they botch it horribly. He hates the snob in this movie not only because he's a party animal, but because he tore down a house that had historical value to his family and chased his wife away with a bulldozer when she protested. That's less being a snob and more him being a sane person.

2.) The slob: Rodney Dangerfield played the slob to great effect in the original. He was the kind of guy you'd want to hang out and party with. The slob in Caddyshack II is Jackie Mason's character. He was the kind of guy you'd want to run away from and never see again. I already explained why he's an asshole in the snob point, but there's more than that: he's just an unfunny person. It's a combination of the script being awful and Jackie Mason being a profoundly unfunny person. The fact that he'd be a villain in a different movie doesn't help.

3.) The wacky side-character: The wacky side-character in the original was Bill Murray's Carl Spackler. He plays the groundskeeper who's not all there upstairs and has a rivalry with the gopher plaguing the course. There's a great saying that "funny forgives everything." It means that we can forgive something possibly problematic if it's funny enough. Carl could be considered to be an offensive caricature of mentally ill people, but his character is so funny and Bill Murray's so great that it can be forgiven. In contrast, the wacky side-character in Caddyshack II is Dan Aykroyd's character. In his Razzie-winning performance, he plays a shellshocked mercenary who's hired to stop Jackie Mason from joining the club. For those who don't know, shellshock is now called PTSD. So, the wacky side-character is a main haunted by his time in the army. This is why I mentioned "funny forgives everything," to show you an example of it going wrong. Since his character's not funny, the role comes off as gross and unnerving.

The body of the review was going to be in my most hated movie list, but if I kept it in it'd be longer than the rest of the entries. So, I beefed what I was going to write there here. Grade: F

*Remembering the names of the characters in Caddyshack II would imply that they were memorable in any way other than in painful ways.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 6:29pm
THE BOUNTY HUNTER (2010)

The Bounty Hunter is one of those movies that make the Romantic Comedy genre look horrendously bad. It's really hard to review this movie because I'll be using the word "boring" a lot. The characters are boring, the story is boring and even the acting isn't anything special. Might as well get this over with, this is The Bounty Hunter.

Idiotic Bounty hunter Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler) gets really happy when he's put in charge of arresting his ex wife Nicole Hurley (Jennifer Aniston). Of course, Hi-Jinx ensues and there's a murder Mystery which to be honest should've been the center of this whole movie. Yeah it gets some kind of attention but the main focus is on the stupid love connection between Milo and Nicole. I wouldn't mind if these two morons were likeable. Seriously, these two shouldn't be together at all! Milo is one of the most annoying people I ever came across as a character. He's a selfish and stupid human being. I know he's supposed to go through an arc and become a better person by the end of the movie but he doesn't really change from his experiences that much. He's still a major dick by the end of this movie.

As for Nicole, I actually kind of like her. I mean yeah she has her own share of stupid moments but for the most part she's a good character. I guess it's the way the character is acted Jennifer Aniston. She really is one of those actresses that is actually good at what she does but for some reason she keeps choosing really bad movies to be in. In whatever case, she really is the only bright spot in this film. The supporting cast does okay I guess, however Jason Sudeikis is incredibly annoying in this. Again I'm sure it's the writing but still it's worth pointing out.

It's strange to say this, but the whole love plot between Milo and Nicole seems very forced. It really isn't needed. The murder Mystery subplot should really be the main focus instead of those two. They seem more like a crime solving duo than a romantic couple anyway. If the movie was more of a suspenseful crime movie it would've been a better experience. As is, it's just a really boring film.

There really isn't that much else to say about The Bounty Hunter. It's just a tedious waste of time. The love connection is weak, the writing is stupid, the story is incredibly boring, the acting is really off and of course one of our main characters is extremely unlikeable. However, it wasn't the worst movie of 2010. That movie will be covered in my next review...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2014 at 11:21pm
EXPOSTION: THE MOVIE (LAST AIRBENDER, 2010)

I'll just say this before I start: The Last Airbender isn't the worst movie I 've ever seen. It comes close but I can think of several titles that were more painful to sit through than this one. One thing is for sure though, The Last Airbender is most definitely one of the worst Adaptations of all time. This film is based on a really great TV Show that ironically comes from Nickelodeon (home of one of the worst TV Shows ever made: SpongeBob Squarepants). Avatar: The Last Airbender really is a really funny but yet insightful show with an epic and deep story. Last Airbender the movie is a complete joke with hilarious dialog, boring characters, pretentious directing from M. Night Shyamalan and so much more idiotic stuff.

The Fire nation has waged war on Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom and the Air Nomads. After 100 years, Aang The Avatar (master of all Elements) returns from being frozen in an Ice Berg. Him, Katara and Sokka must travel around the world to stop the Fire Nation and travel to the North Pole so Aang can master Water Bending. The reason why this synopsis is all over the place is because the plot is all over the place. Right when the three kids leave the South Pole, they don't even have a plan. According to Gran-Gran (Katara and Sokka's Grandmother), their destines are intertwined with Aang's. Okay, but what the hell are they suppose to do? How are they going to start a rebellion and win this war? They don't even come up with a plan until more than halfway through the film. So to put it simply, our main characters are total idiots.

The acting in this is just wretched. I can't believe the total blandness and lack of dedication that comes from pretty much the entire cast. I really can't tell if there really is no talent from these actors or if it's the terrible writing done by M. Night Shyamalan. Either way, I really wished this film could've won the Razzie for Worst Screen Ensemble.

I might as well get down to what is really missing from this movie: Emotional Weight. The only thing that was important to Shyamalan was the story component. However, a story is nothing without interesting characters and emotional impact. There is no passion, enthusiasm, dedication or Epic quality in this picture. As the nostalgia Critic once said: "Last Airbender is just chess piece storytelling".

I am not going to spend too much time on M. Night Shyamalan's lack of directing in this movie. He really wants people to notice he can film fight scenes in one long shot and it's a huge failure. Also the bending in this movie is particularly laughable here. The only time the visuals are quite impressive is during the tidal wave scene and the intro to this movie is pretty cool. Besides that, the effects are just stupid.

Just like with Catwoman, The Last Airbender is one of those movies I can tear apart piece by piece until there's nothing left. This movie is a huge insult to the TV show it's based on and also the fans of that show. Even if you've never seen the show before, the movie still doesn't hold water. It's awfully written, terribly acted, horribly directed and most importantly it's emotionally crippled. As so many have said before, Just watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 3:57am
I guess the reason Sex and the City 2 won Worst Screen Ensemble was because it had bigger names in it.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 12:13pm
You've lost all of my respect.
LOL
Originally posted by moviecritic1994

one of the worst TV Shows ever made: SpongeBob Squarepants
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 1:22pm
Vits, no offense, but have you seen the newer episodes of SpongeBob?

I'll just let this guy fill you in:

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 1:31pm
SpongeBob Squarepants is one of those shows a lot of people watch when they're high on Weed. It's literally a show where nothing happens and nothing makes sense. I feel the same way about The Regular Show and Adventure Time.

Can we please stop talking about this show, I am losing IQ Points already
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 1:49pm
He didn't say whether he hates just the newer episodes or the show in general.
Originally posted by oiram

Vits, no offense, but have you seen the newer episodes of SpongeBob?
Because it has both absurd and surreal humour. Although, it's not nearly as non-sensical as ALEJO & VALENTINA, another one of my favorite animated shows (this is the only clip I could find with subtitles):

Just to clarify, their voices and intonations are part of the joke. And so is the simplistic animation (the creator said he was inspired by SOUTH PARK).

SpongeBob Squarepants is one of those shows a lot of people watch when they're high on Weed. It's literally a show where nothing happens and nothing makes sense.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 1:55pm
Uh huh...

What cartoon shows do you watch?

SpongeBob Squarepants is one of those shows a lot of people watch when they're high on Weed. It's literally a show where nothing happens and nothing makes sense. I feel the same way about The Regular Show and Adventure Time.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 2:17pm
I don't watch a lot of Cartoons anymore, I have two little brothers and three little sisters. Sometimes, I'll watch the cartoons with them and I'm very amazed how kid's shows have gone hill and just don't care about their target audience.

That's why shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender are so rare. It's a show both kids and adults can watch and enjoy. Needless to say, I like Movies and TV Shows that are entertaining and thoughtful as well.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 2:35pm
Speaking of which have you seen its sequel, Legend of Korra?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2014 at 2:48pm
Yes I have, it's a good show but not as good as the original Avatar. I couldn't get through the second season because Korra was slowly becoming Julia Roberts
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2014 at 4:09pm
The 2001 remake of Planet Of The Apes is one of the dumbest movies ever made. Almost every actor is horribly miscast and Tim Burton obviously didn't give a crap. It's not his worst movie since there's no scene where Johnny Depp breakdances but it's still an abomination.

The best performance in the film comes from Tim Roth as General Thade. Roth is really good as the main villain of the film. He turned down the role of Professor Snape to appear in this. In hindsight, this is bad for him but good for us. I can't see Roth as Snape. It's like Will Smith turning down The Matrix to appear in Wild Wild West. Michael Clarke Duncan and Paul Giamatti are good too. Rick Baker's make-up is easily the best part of the film. Too bad they were wasted on this film.

Mark Wahlberg is hilariously miscast as an astronaut. Every moment he's in his astronaut suit, I was laughing. He looks like a little kid playing dress-up. The action scenes in the film are shockingly bad. Burton has directed action well before (i.e. his Batman films), so there's no excuse for how boring the action scenes are. The final ape fight is one of the most anti-climatic final battles in film history. Another big issue with the film is the executive meddling. There was supposed to be a Planet Of The Apes remake in the '90s, that would have starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, been directed by either James Cameron, Peter Jackson, or Sam Raimi, and super violent. I don't know if this would have been any good, but it would definitely be better than this sh*t pie here. It was cancelled because a Fox executive kept insisting that there be a scene where Arnold teaches the apes to play baseball. This project morphed into the 2001 version.

Estella Warren is just awful as Romantic Lead. She deserved her Razzie for this. She's awful and has no chemistry with Wahlberg. Sh*t, Wahlberg had more chemistry with Helena Bonham Carter. Carter is awful as well. Something I noticed about her: when she's not directed by Burton, she's a mostly good actress. With Burton behind the camera, she mostly awful. Maybe Carter needs to be pushed to be good and Burton doesn't push her because he doesn't want to end up on the couch. She's not as awful as Warren, but she sucks badly. Most people blame the failure of the movie on Burton, because this feels nothing like one of his movies. But, despite how awful his direction is, he's not the main failing of the film. That would be the moronic script. Without a doubt, the worst part of the film is the ending. The ending is especially awful when compared to the original. The ending of the original reveals that the planet was Earth all along and the humans are the real animals because they blew it up. The ending of this one is a Goddamn pun. There's an ape in the Lincoln Memorial. Abraham, Aperaham. Do you get the awful and unfunny pun? It's awful a cliffhanger, promising more sequels. Ironically, this film got no sequels while the original got several despite Charleston Heston's objections.

The newest Planet Of The Apes film comes out tomorrow. Considering the trailer and the critical reviews, it's probably going to be one of the best movies of the summer. Grade: D
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2014 at 1:40pm
CUTTHROAT ISLAND (1995)

I still have no idea why this movie is so remembered. Cutthroat Island is one of the most boring, forgettable and bland movies I've ever seen. It's a film that is nothing but explosions and a treasure hunt nobody cares about. It might not be the worst movie ever made, but it's definitely one of the most tedious movies I ever seen. It should be on a shelf next to The Lone Ranger and Tarzan, The Ape Man.

Morgan Adams (Geena Davis) is a pirate who has recently lost her father. After getting the Treasure Map cut from her father's head (gross) she sets off with her crew to find this treasure and... that is literally it. Cutthroat Island is nothing more than a long and over drawn Treasure hunt. Yeah there's a villain and Morgan's Father's killer Dawg (Frank Langella) but even then he's pretty pointless. This entire story is pointless. I know Pirate movies usually revolve around a treasure, but there's usually something more to the story besides that. Pirates and The Caribbean is a good example of a good Pirate Movie. Besides the treasure, there's a curse that has to be lifted. Cutthroat Island offers no real risk or payoff if these people get the treasure or not.

Another big problem with the movie is that it's too damn long. Yes, it shares the same problem as The Lone Ranger, it's ridiculously long for no reason. Don't get me wrong, if a film has an interesting story and interesting characters along with great dialog then the experience can be a good time. However, more than half the time Cutthroat Island just focuses on constant action scenes. This film is the pure example of all Style and no Substance. Like I said with The Lone Ranger, Action scenes can be good but not in large doses. Constant action and fight scenes get boring really quickly when they are being done for more than half the film.

The only good thing I can say about the movie is the fact that Entire Cast is trying their hardest with a script that is pretty much lacking in almost every aspect. I still have no idea why this movie killed Geena Davis' career. I mean she's not reason the movie sucked, it's the lack of direction and horrible writing that's to blame here. I don't really see any other bad performances here. I mean they're not by any means good, but I can't really say if there's a performance that made me cringe or anything like that.

I guess the only reason why this movie is even remembered is because it was a huge and embarrassing Box Office Bomb. Besides that, Cutthroat Island has no re-watch value at all. It's boring, it's too long, it's horribly written and terribly directed by Renny Harlin. Maybe if the movie focused more on the characters and the story instead of the constant explosions then it could've been great. However, as is it's just a huge waste of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3132333435>