Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > INFO on POSSIBLE 2011 RAZZIE® CONTENDERS > DISCUSSION & INFO on RED RIDING HOOD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' DISCUSSION of RED RIDING HOOD...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' DISCUSSION of RED RIDING HOOD...
    Posted: March 06 2011 at 11:37am
GO AHEAD, GIZE -- SINK YER TEETH INTO THIS ONE!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 11:44am
Catherine Hardwicke was off to a great start. Her directorial debut, Thirteen, was... well, #13, on my Top 30 Films of 2003. Over the next half decade, her career slowly crumbled. Then she directed Twilight, a terrible film from autumn of 2008 that earned a dishonorable mention from me for that year. Now this is where I'd expect her to really crash and burn.

UPDATE: I saw HeadRAZZBerry's take on this, and the screenshot he posted featured a mansion with jagged brown wood, snow, and a creepy architecture. If you ask me, that could be the ONE redeeming thing about this movie, but I'll still consider it a bad one (if the critics agree it's bad).
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:40pm
I do feel bad for Hardwicke, too. It's clear she's only given projects that feature female leads because it's a niche market, but it seems such projects are always poorly written. That's just a neon sign that Hollywood really doesn't give a damn about female movie goers.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 3:50pm
Does anyone else wonder if this movie will get Gary Oldman his first Razzie nom?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since he was co-nominated with both Demi Moore and Robert Duvall for Worst Screen Couple in 1995's RAZZIE® "winning" remake of THE SCARLET LETTER (IMdb LINK) this would possibly garner Oldman his second RAZZIE® nom...  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:20pm
What? You mean the art direction?

Originally posted by GTAHater767

UPDATE: I saw HeadRAZZBerry's take on this, and the screenshot he posted featured a mansion with jagged brown wood, snow, and a creepy architecture. If you ask me, that could be the ONE redeeming thing about this movie, but I'll still consider it a bad one (if the critics agree it's bad).

What about THE LORDS OF DOGTOWN?

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

It's clear she's only given projects that feature female leads because it's a niche market, but it seems such projects are always poorly written.

All of the mighty shall fall at least once.

Originally posted by oiram

Does anyone wonder if this movie will give Gary Oldman his first Razzie nom?

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 4:33pm
Amanda Seyfried was in good movies but she was forgettable.Then she became famous in BIG LOVE,and since has given good performances in average or bad movies.Gary Oldman's resume is impressive because only 1/4 of the movies are bad(today standars are lower).With this,Lukas Haas will have 3 movies this year,and Billy Burke will have 4,so they could go to the ballot.Virgina Madsen and Julie Christie seem to have the most talent,and at the same time,berry supporting roles.

Catherine Hardwicke has only directed one good movie.David Leslie Johnson also wrote ORPHAN,which was a decent thriller.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 5:46pm
This movie just looks goofy to me, like it's trying to be super-serious, but then the lead actress drops the line "My what big eyes you have" (or something like that). At that point, I kinda wanted to punch something! If I was a betting man, I'd say it this will be the undisputed Worst of the Weak...  

I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic f**king hatreds! George Carlin
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 7:33pm

I don't know where to begin here:  There's the attempt to turn a Brothers Grimm story (that Disney hasn't touched) into a movie, there's a backstory for the characters, there are additional characters to add depth to the story, and there are two things that get my attention: 1) a werewolf serial killer and 2) a love triangle (the latter doesn't stand out as much as the former).  I forgive them for only using two of Twilight's marketing ploys and I think the suspense element might override the romance element.  

The only thing I'm really worried about is that none of the trailers show us the werewolf itself.  I can't figure out whether they're trying to preserve an  element of surprise, or they're hiding something embarrassing from us (Yes, I know trailers often do the latter).  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I would say it's safe to assume they're not showing even a "flash frame" of their "werewolf" because it's not credible. Nothing else about this film's campaign has been even remotely subtle, so why should they be classy about that one element?!?  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 8:00pm
Miguel -- Dude -- give it up with the "Twilight" comparisons! How many times do I have to tell you, Hollywood had been doing movies about werewolves for DECADES before the "Twilight" books were even published. Same goes with love triangles. These are not cliches that Stephenie Meyer invented 6 years ago, they have been around almost since storytelling was first created. 

I mean if there are movies to blame for this one, they are the recent "Alice And Wonderland", which because of it's success, there's a slew of fairy tale movies in the works, and "The Wolfman", which just won an Oscar (although, granted, no one seriously cares about Best Make-Up).

Oh, and as for the not showing the wolf in previews thing, that's a near 40 year old lesson from "Jaws" ... don't show the monster right away, save it for later on. Funny thing is, the robot shark not working was the real reason why it wasn't shown on screen, but it's funny how Hollywood's genre rules are created like that.  

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

I don't know where to begin here.  There's the attempt to turn a Brothers Grimm story (that Disney hasn't touched) into a movie, there's a backstory for the characters, there are additional characters to add depth to the story, and there are two things that get my attention: 1) a werewolf serial killer and 2) a love triangle (the latter doesn't stand out as much as the former).  I forgive them for only using two of Twilight's marketing ploys and I think the suspense element might override the romance element.  The only thing I'm really worried about is that none of the trailers show us the wolf itself.  I can't seem to figure whether they're trying to reserve the element of surprise or they're hiding something embarrassing from us (I know some trailers that do the latter).
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 8:02pm
That was the studios giving her a little creative control "gift" for the Oscar nods that "Thirteen" got.  

Originally posted by Vits

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

It's clear she's only given projects that feature female leads because it's a niche market, but it seems such projects are always poorly written.
What about THE LORDS OF DOGTOWN?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:18am

I wonder which is going to be more criticised, this movie, or this movie?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoodwinked_Too!_Hood_vs._Evil

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 9:22am
To oiram: Nobody knows about the Hoodwinked movies. I'd say skip over it unless it gets 0% at Rotten Tomatoes.

To Mr. Burn: I'm equally worried about all these fairy tale adaptations as I am about movies named after folk rhymes, one directed by the dreaded Dennis Dugan, coming this autumn!

To Vits: I'd say the creepy house says very little about the art direction.
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:18pm
Oiram & GTAhater: I knew about them, and I somehow saw the first Hoodwinked. I think it will all depend on how widely this will be released, and what other films will be released the same week. 

Oh and Oiram, I think Hood-Winked 2 would do just a little worse with critics than RRH. But I am not good at predicting these things... 
27years View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote 27years Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 3:45pm
I don't think there is anything wrong with having fairy-tales adapted for modern audiences. Will they be any good? I don't know...but I'm looking forward to seeing them as individual efforts and judging for myself!  

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2011 at 5:47pm
27 Years has a point -- it's not wrong to adapt fairy tales ... if not for the fact that the "modern" adaptations almost always SUCK. I would be fine with Hollywood remaking them, so long as they actually bothered remaking them WELL instead of just sleepwalking through the motions!   

Originally posted by 27years

I don't think there is anything wrong with having fairy-tales adapted for modern audiences. Will they be any good? I don't know...but I'm looking forward to seeing them as individual efforts and judging for myself!  
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 3:19am
Yeah, I realized Oldman was technically a nominee before, but don't really count that as much. I was referring to "major" nods like Worst Actor or Supporting Actor, which he is eligible for in this case.  

Originally posted by oiram

Does anyone else wonder if this movie will get Gary Oldman his first Razzie nom?  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Since he was co-nominated with both Demi Moore and Robert Duvall for Worst Screen Couple in 1995's RAZZIE® "winning" remake of THE SCARLET LETTER (IMdb LINK) this would possibly garner Oldmanhis second RAZZIE® nom...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>