Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > SECRET LIFE of WALTER MITTY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' DISCUSSION of WALTER MITTY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' DISCUSSION of WALTER MITTY
    Posted: December 23 2013 at 11:36am

SOME FOLKS MAY NOT THINK THIS MOVIE is a PRETENTIOUS, MODERNIZED and HIDEOUSLY HOMOGENIZED PILE of CRAP. 

BUT WE ASSUME at LEAST SOME of THOSE FOLKS ARE UNFAMILIAR with the 1939 JAMES THURBER SHORT STORY on WHICH IT's BASED. 

ONE of the GREAT HUMORISTS of the LAST CENTURY, THURBER WAS a FONT of FABULOUS TALES POKING FUN at HUMAN FOIBLES...BUT THIS FILM PROBABLY HAD THURBER SPINNING RIGHT 'ROUND in HIS GRAVE. IT BEARS ALMOST NO RESEMBLANCE to WHAT THURBER WROTE NEARLY 75 YEARS AGO.

WE COULD GO ON, BUT THIS WAS RELEASED DURING the HOLIDAZE, and the WHOLE "SPIRIT of FORGIVENESS" THING CONSTRAINED US...

BELOW IS YOUR CHANCE to CONCOCT PLENTY of SLUDGE-FILLED SNOWBALS to PELT THIS PITIFUL MODERN INCARNATION of a ONCE CLASSIC STORY... 

READY...

AIM... 

FART!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 12:41pm
Although his acting career has been hit-or-miss, Ben Stiller has sometimes shown that he's capable of being a very good director. Let's see if he can pull it off again. The cast also includes Kristen Wiig (GIRL MOST LIKELY) and Kathryn Hahn (WE'RE THE MILLERS). Steve Conrad also wrote the scripts for the similar (kind of) THE FAMILY MAN and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 4:19pm
...and here's my write-up for this remake! I don't know if it'll get bad enough reviews to really catch our attention, but...

YOU REALLY CAN’T BE SURE OF ANYTHING WITH BEN STILLER IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA. THE STAR OF THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY HAS ALSO BEEN IN SUCH DUDS AS ENVY (2004), LITTLE FOCKERS (2010), AND THE WATCH (2012). BUT HE’S NO ONE-HIT WONDER. SINCE Y2K, HE’S HAD A FEW MORE OBVIOUS GREATS, SUCH AS MEET THE PARENTS AND ZOOLANDER, ALONG WITH SOME LESSER-KNOWN HITS LIKE THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, AND… DARE I SAY… TROPIC THUNDER?

BUT A REMAKE OF A LITTLE-KNOWN FILM FROM 1947, ADAPTED TO THE TIME OF THE MONTHLY LIFE MAGAZINE’S SWAN SONG, DOESN’T SEEM LIKELY TO MAKE A MORE CONVINCING ARGUMENT IN STILLER’S FAVOR. THE TITULAR CHARACTER, WALTER MITTY, IS SAID TO BE LIVING IN A FANTASY WORLD, AND IS NOW TRAVELING THE PLANET IN SEARCH OF A LOST PHOTO, TO BE USED IN THE LAST ISSUE BEFORE HIS MAGAZINE PRESUMABLY GOES OUT OF PRINT. 

ALREADY GETTING MORE BAD REVIEWS THAN GOOD IN THE LAST MONTH OR TWO BEFORE RELEASE, TIME WILL TELL IF BEN STILLER’S SORT-OF WINNING STREAK BEHIND THE CAMERA WILL GO MUCH FURTHER. CRITICS HAVE NOT TAKEN KINDLY TO ITS NARRATIVE, ITS MESSAGES, OR ITS ATTITUDE TOWARDS MOOD DEVELOPMENT.

SO NOW IT’S YOUR TURN! TAKE A RAZZBERRY AND GIVE WALTER MITTY A WAKE-UP CALL THIS FILM SO RICHLY DESERVES!

RUNNING ABOVE THE WORLD, HEAD IN THE CLOUDS, AND THEN CRASH! THE SECRET LIFE IS REVEALED AS A CORPORATE-POSTERED CHRISTMAS RAZZBERRY!
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 4:40pm
Based on its reviews, box office results and award nominations, I wouldn't call TROPIC THUNDER "lesser-known".
Originally posted by GTAHater767SINCE Y2K, HE’S HAD A FEW MORE OBVIOUS GREATS, SUCH AS MEET THE PARENTS AND ZOOLANDER, ALONG WITH SOME LESSER-KNOWN HITS LIKE THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, AND… DARE I SAY… TROPIC THUNDER?
[/QUOTE

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 8:28am
Vits, you forgot Sean Penn, who was in Gangster Squad.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2013 at 10:14am
Oh! I didn't see him. His name was almost at the bottom.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 9:37pm
Ben Stiller is no Danny Kaye, and this remake is just plain awful. Danny Kaye is turning in his grave...

And if this is a box office hit, I fear Stiller may remake The Court Jester!  Cry
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2013 at 8:40am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Because I remembered liking it when I was a kid, I watched the 1947 "original" version of WALTER MITTY on TCM last night. In his introductory remarks, Ben Mankiewicz mentioned that the story's author, James Thurber, openly loathed Danny Kaye's interpretation as well -- Specifically, Thurber hated the two "nonsense songs" that Kaye's wife Sylvia Fine wrote for the film, which he thought had no place in the story he had written. Still, that version was more highly regarded (R.T. LINK) than this bloodless, pointless "re-imagining" of the same material for 21st Century audiences...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 4:02pm
I was having a conversation with one of my teachers today about Thurber's original novel (it's on the syllabus for her class) and I mentioned this. She reacted very negatively when I first brought up the movie -- but she was happy when I mentioned that it's all over Our Nominating Ballot.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2014 at 5:01pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: ShcumacherH8ter -- I sincerely hope you find reading James Thurber as amusing as I always have. He is one of my favorite 20th century authors, and it is largely out of my respect for the original story (and Thurber's humor in general) that I put MITTY "all over" the Nominating Ballot... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
 Post Reply Post Reply