Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > AFTER EARTH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH
    Posted: May 25 2013 at 10:20am

DECIDING THIS ONE's a LIKELY RAZZIE
® CONTENDER IS LIKE SHOOTING 4-TIME RAZZIE® "WINNER" (and 7 TIME RAZZIE®
 NOMINEE)  M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN (IMDb LINK) in THAT PROVERBIAL BARREL.

WE CAN'T CLAIM 100% of the CREDIT for THIS FILM's ENTIRE CAMPAIGN NOT HAVING the NERVE to EVEN HINT THAT IT WAS HELMED by the GUY WHO TRIED to GIVE US LADY IN THE WATER, THE HAPPENING and THE LAST AIRBENDER...BUT IT's NOT TOO MUCH of a STRETCH  for US to CLAIM at LEAST SOME of the CREDIT for THAT. REFUSING to ACKNOWLEDGE THAT M. NIGHT SHYAMALAN NOT ONLY DIRECTED BUT ALSO CO-WROTE (and CO-PRODUCED) THIS MOVIE MAY HAVE SEEMED LIKE a WISE MOVE WHEN the CAMPAIGN WAS BEING PLANNED, BUT ONCE REVIEWS STARTED COMING IN, THIS STRATEGY (WHICH WE LIKE to CALL the "ANTI-M" STRATAGEM) BLEW UP in THEIR FACES...

...THIS ONE ALSO "BLOWS UP REAL GOOD" on a FEW OTHER RAZZIE® FRONTS: WILL SMITH CASTING HIS OWN SON to PLAY HIS ON-SCREEN SON (and THEN GIVING JUNIOR TOP BILLING in MUCH of the PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL) STRIKES US as KNUCKLE-HEADED NEPOTISM to the Nth DEGREE, EVEN IF DAD IS ONLY ON SCREEN ABOUT a FOURTH AS OFTEN AS HIS OFFSPRING (WHICH MAKES the ENTIRE AD CAMPAIGN EVEN MORE of a PACK of LIES!)... 

ALSO...IS IT JUST US, or DOES the FILM's TAG-LINE ("DANGER IS REAL...FEAR IS A CHOICE") SOUND LIKE SOMETHING YOUR BACK-SLAPPING BOZO of a BOSS WOULD HAVE EMBOSSED on a COFFEE MUG to GIVE YOU on the ANNIVERSARY of YOUR BEING HIRED??  

LIKE WE SAID, FISH in a BARREL...or MAYBE THAT SHOULD BE...

BERRIES in a BARREL?!?  

AS IF YOU NEEDED MORE AMMO B-4 POSTING YER THOUGHTS BELOW, HERE's the LINK to VISIT OUR INFO PAGE on THIS FILM...

...AND, JUST for HA-HAs, HERE's the LINK to CHECK OUT the FOTO FUNNY on IT. 

AFTER ALL THAT, WE INVITE YOU to HAVE at AFTER EARTH... 

* P.S. Thanks to Oiram for Providing the YouTube/Trailer LINK Above... 
Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:09pm
How do you come up with these things?! 

LOL

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

IS IT JUST US, or DOES the FILM's TAGLINE ("DANGER IS REAL...FEAR IS A CHOICE") SOUND MORE LIKE SOMETHING YOUR BACK-SLAPPING BOZO of a BOSS WOULD HAVE EMBOSSED on a COFFEE MUG to GIVE YOU on the ANNIVERSARY of YOUR BEING HIRED??
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:28pm
After Earth... I had to watch the trailer again. It really does look like an M. Night film. What do I mean? It's pretty much the Si-fi version of "the Happening" and pretty much has lame effects like in "The Last Airbender".

Like both those films, the acting looks very forced and unemotional. Seems like there's only three actors in the film (if you want to count that woman in the Foto Funny), and Will and Jaden have no father and son connection on screen at all. There's no emotion coming from either of them, and I also noticed Jaden does the signature "Bella" stare a lot.

So, here's my question: Should I even see this film?? I'm thinking "NO," because it's one of those films you know is bad just by looking at the trailer. Another example: "The Internship".
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:49pm
If you are a voting Razzie member, you should see this...  

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 8:30am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: In another post elsewhere on our Forum MovieCritic1994 suggested his dream gift just now would be for some unknown benefactor to give him a Lifetime Membership in the RAZZIES®. Unfortunately, were that scenario to come true (and I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one) Our Newest Forum Member would then actually be expected to attend many (if not most) of the dreadful films we discuss here, if only in order to cast "informed" Nominating and Final Ballots for this year's Berry Worst Film "Achievements."   

Since no reviews are in yet at Rotten Tomatoes on this particular film, there's no way of knowing for certain if indeed it is "one of ours," but I'd say all indicators are that the answer is gonna be a big fat resounding "YES!"  If so, we would encourage any current Voting Members to actually subject themselves to the film before voting next Winter. In financial terms, that may allow for renting it for a buck from RedBox: If it bombs as badly as it looks likely to, it oughta be availalbe coast-to-coast in those in-store kiosks well before Christmas... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2013 at 10:51am
I seriously don't care about seeing bad films -- If I could suffer through Twilight with my family I think I'd be okay with seeing After Earth!  lol :)

However, there is a "sort of birthday gift" the Razzies are giving me. According to the award schedule, this year's Razzie Nominations will be announced on January 15 -- the day after my 20th birthday. So thanks Head Razz
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 9:46am
Can't we just say Good (M.) Night to this turkey twizzler once and for all?
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 10:49am
Joebacon: We all thought M. Night was gone for good. But as it turns out he was only banished from film for a mere 3 years!   

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 10:56am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: An interesting thought occurred to me -- I'd love to have sat in on the meeting where studio executives "explained" to Shyamalan (who is notoriously one of the most ego-driven film-makers in Hollywood) exactly why they "chose" to leave his name off of all paid advertising for this film. And I'd have loved as well to see M. Night's face when he "agreed" to those terms just to get a job! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2013 at 12:02pm
I think the Studio executives really thought people would come to see the film based only on the star power of Will Smith. And Smith has become rather egotistical himself, getting selfish to the point where he will only share billing with his own son.

So with star power, and the worst kept secret of M. Night's involvement, the executives thought this was a SLAM DUNK! Since the "M. Night secret" came out (pretty much at the same time as the ridiculous looking trailer) there have been few "non-paid" promotions for the film: No talk show interviews, magazine articles or anything. This film might not only be a Box Office BOMB, it could be a D.O.A (Dead on Arrival)! 

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 6:47am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Just visited the Official Site for this film again (LINK) out of morbid curiosity to see how many pages I'd have to scroll through before coming to any mention of M. Night Shyamalan. Turned out to be 3, but I also found out some other interesting info: The screenplay credit lists M. Night as co-writer, as well as claiming the "story" was conceived by Will Smith himself. Just below that is the usual, overlong list of people taking "producer" credits, and they include both of Jaden's parents, Shyamalan (again!) and somebody named Caleb Pinkett, who I assume is an in-law of Will's. So my mention of nepotism in the first post above was even more justified than I had thought!  

I've gotta say, the more I research this film, the stronger my instincts become that it's gonna be the LAST AIRBENDER of this summer (LINK). If anyone still disagrees, I'd love to hear their argument(s)...   

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 1:04pm
This film does seem like a vanity project on part of the Smith family, but I must admit Shyamalan pretty much has a big ego too. That being said, this film has a lot of "M. Night Touches" to it. It looks boring like "Lady in the Water," has lame effects like "Last Airbender," and features environmental evils like "The Happening." God willing, there won't be Killer Trees in this one!     

I would like to know if anyone else has noticed another fact: In the trailer for "After Earth," Jaden Smith does what I call the "Bella Stare." Has anyone else noticed this?  
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 12:50am
Now it's just 31 more hours until it opens where I live (May 31 at 8:00 Hours). And the critics at Metacritic are sure giving ol' M Night and Will Smith a nice Happy Halloween In May: It's losing 0 to 4 at Rotten Tomatoes. Most of them say, so far, that it's a bore to sit through or induces some recoil, but time will tell if the next few critics think it's agony. As we knew, keeping M Night's name off the poster failed. The substance he's not delivering will lead it to bombing. And what is Jaden supposed to learn from this kind of vanity project?

On second thought, this is almost as bad as Shyamalan is known for, because it sports a bloody 27% Metascore based on its first 6 reviews.

How many times does M Night have to be a Worst Picture / Worst Director finalist before he calls it quits and stops burning filmgoers?

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 6:58am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Though they didn't have the cajones to mention Ol' M's RAZZIE® Track Record, this morning's L.A. Times features a top-of-the-front-page Calendar article headlined 'AFTER EARTH' LANDING WITH LUGGAGE, discussing at great (and humiliating) length Sony/Columbia's decision to hire Shyamalan, and their reasons for not putting his name in most paid advertising. The article goes on to mention the last minute scheduling of press screenings, the fact that ads suggesting that real-life father and son Will and Jaden Smith have equal screen time are grossly misleading (Junior has about 4 times as many scenes as Dad) and finally predicts the film's opening weekend gross to be "a soft $35 million."  

It makes for a Berry Interesting Read: Here's the LINK to read it for yourself... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 7:21am
Can we still have both Will and Jaden be conjoined for Worst Actor? It will save space in the long run.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 8:20am
Here are some predicted nominations maybe AFTER EARTH should have:

Worst Screen Couple: Will and Jaden Smith
Worst Screen Ensemble
Worst Director
Worst Screenplay
My question to you all, once you see the film do you think it could be a Worst Picture nominee?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>