Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > AFTER EARTH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH
    Posted: May 30 2013 at 10:12am
If the reviews for this movie are bad but not as bad as some of Shyamalan's previous movies, does it mean he'll get another chance?
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Though they didn't have the cajones to mention Ol' M's RAZZIE® Track Record, this morning's L.A. Times features a top-of-the-front-page Calendar article headlined 'AFTER EARTH' LANDING WITH LUGGAGE, discussing at great (and humiliating) length Sony/Columbia's decision to hire Shyamalan, and their reasons for not putting his name in most paid advertising. The article goes on to mention the last minute scheduling of press screenings, the fact that ads suggesting that real-life father and son Will and Jaden Smith have equal screen time are grossly misleading (Junior has about 4 times as many scenes as Dad) and finally predicts the film's opening weekend gross to be "a soft $35 million."  

It makes for a Berry Interesting Read: Here's the LINK to read it for yourself...

I read it, and Shyamalan says that I'll love AFTER EARTH if I loved JURASSIC PARK and THE TREE OF LIFE. I loved the former but I hated the latter. So how will I feel?

I don't mind that Will is billed before Jaden. It happens all the time. Now, I'll be angry if this is like SPY KIDS 3D (Antonio Banderas and Carla Gugino got top billing, despite only having cameos).

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

My question to you all, once you see the film do you think it could be a Worst Picture nominee?

That's kind of a paradox. I mean, it is a possibility, just like with every movie. So we can't know until we watch it.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 2:49pm
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 6:59pm
Critic Consensus on RT is now in. By the looks of it, I was dead on about this film.

"After Earth is dull, ploddingly paced exercise in sentimental sci-fi -- and the latest setback for director M. Night Shyamalan's once-promising career".

It's official, "After Earth" is one of ours.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 7:05pm
I would like to follow up my latest post with some clever critic's quotes about "After Earth".

"A far better director and a more experienced actor would have a hard time making so much time alone on screen work. Even Tom Hanks had Wilson to talk to". -Belief.Net

"Mr. Smith and his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, are producers on "After Earth," which suggests that there was no one on the production who could really say no to him". - New York Times

"This is one of those movies where you suspect that more thought was given to coining cool, futuristic names than to plot development".
-National Post
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 1:01am
I've got a feeling Russell Peters may need to plan another appearance at THE RAZZIES!

2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 12:26pm
LATEST UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Friday's grosses have posted at B.O. MoJo (LINK) and the news is berry humiliating for The Trashed Prince of Bel Air: The not-so-well-reviewed NOW YOU SEE ME (which was expected to come in a distant third behind FAST & FURIOUS 6 and  AFTER EARTH) actually beat THE SMITH FAMILY VANITY PROJECT, knocking it down to THIRD PLACE(!).

Meanwhile, you can never read too many nasty reviews on a Worst Picture Front-Runner. so here's the LINK to see the compilation of AFTER EARTH's Critical-Kicks-in-the-Teeth, run by the L.A. Times...ENJOY! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
davecampbell View Drop Down
Berry Best Friend
Berry Best Friend

Post Options Post Options   Quote davecampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 12:31pm
WOW! It's starting to look like all those comparisons between After Earth and John Carter were grossly unfair...to John Carter!! LOL 

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 5:16pm
I think part of After Earth doing poorly has to do with the fact that, even taking M Night out of the equation, people are tired of Will Smith pushing his son on the public. Now You See Me at least has actors that have already proven to be talented (without nepotism) and whether you like it or not, you can't say it's boring. After Earth, on the other hand...

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 9:27am
In the Forum page listing box office info for this film, it sounds like HeadRazz wants to have Now You See Me as a contender also...  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oiram - If you feel strongly that NOW YOU SEE ME deserves its own Forum discussion, feel free to create a Member-Started one (in fact, here's the LINK to do so). But, no, I was not suggesting that I thought it belonged on our "Short List." Like the similar INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE, I don't expect NOW YOU SEE ME to see a lot of ink come year's end... 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 9:36am
UPDATE from Head RAZZBerry: B.O. MoJo Weekend Numbers are in -- Here's the LINK to our Forum Page conveying the bad news for the entire Smith Family... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 4:44pm
I wonder if I'm Psychic or something LOL I just knew films like After Earth and The Host were going to be contenders. Do I have special Razzie powers?
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 4:44pm
I am back, and I just have to say: it's no surprise this movie bombed, considering that many another M. Night's film, including Lady in the Water, were also box office bombs. 

Pictures move, do they?
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2013 at 5:09pm
2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2013 at 5:46am
Oh yeah, MovieCritic 1994 is right. This is the cinematic equivalent of a Tom Tofurkey! Tongue

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 7:08am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: The L.A. Times' coverage of AFTER EARTH, and its stumble from "potential blockbuster" to "first bummer of the summer," has taken on the tone of someone aggressively lobbying to be chosen as "Head Pall-bearer" at a celebrity funeral. 

The latest example is an article in today's print edition suggesting that the film's failure could bring the entire Sony/Columbia release slate for 2013 "down to Earth" -- yet somehow do so without damaging the on-going relationship (read production deal) between the studio and apparently fading "superstar" Will Smith.

Here's the LINK to read that latest article...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2013 at 7:59am
This is a funny takedown of the film and the Smith family's egotism: http://www.theonion.com/articles/perhaps-the-gimmick-of-my-father-and-i-starring-in,32649/
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>