Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > AFTER EARTH
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of AFTER EARTH
    Posted: June 23 2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Vits

Shyamalan says that I'll love AFTER EARTH if I loved JURASSIC PARK and THE TREE OF LIFE. I loved the former but I hated the latter. So how will I feel?

Turns out my reaction was somewhere in the middle. That's right: I saw this. I wasn't planning on doing it. My dad really wanted to watch NOW YOU SEE ME, I said "O.K.", and we arrived a little too late at the cinema. The line was incredibly long for a Sunday morning, and we agreed there was no point in seeing a movie if you missed the first 30 minutes. We noticed this one was about to start. My dad said "No way! The reviews are terrible" and I said "I don't care. We're here already. We might as well watch it". I watched alone while he went shopping at the mall.

For your consideration: Worst Actor for Jaden Smith and Worst Supp. Actor for Will Smith. No, I'm not "forgiving" Shyamalan. In fact, I'm gonna make it official. Drumroll! ............ He's no longer my favorite director. If I make a list of directors, he might still make it. But for now, I've got my eye on others.

After watching LADY, HAPPENING and AIRBENDER, I said to myself "I feel like his next movie could be better". I didn't feel that here. It's not terrible, but it's flawed. So flawed that one might wonder how are there amateurish mistakes when the director has been around for 15-20 years.
Originally posted by Dun-Ida

Will Smith's accent in this movie sounds very forced and unnatural. Also, attempting an "international accent" seems to have reduced Will Smith's concentration on his acting.

That confused me. At times it sounded like the characters had accents (probably from their planet) and at other timers, they didn't. What was the deal with that?!

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 1:00pm
Again, I want Will and Jaden jointly nominated for Worst Actor to leave room for other Supporting Actors. No one will fault us for this.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 1:47pm
According to I.M.D.B., Will Smith "co-directed" this movie. It says that Shyamalan was in charge of the general visual design and placing the camera, while Will told Jaden how to act. So, if the movie gets nominated for Worst Director, it could be a "co-nomination" like with WATERWORLD and TOWN & COUNTRY, right?
Originally posted by oiram

Again, I want Will and Jaden jointly nominated for Worst Actor to leave room for other Supporting Actors. No one will fault us for this.
I was just discussing that with someone the other day. The Emmy Awards ballots are out, and a lot of lead actors submitted themselves in supporting categories and vice-versa. They think they have better chances of winning. I'm against that kind of thing. I'd rather lose than win something I didn't actually deserve. And Will Smith is a supporting actor in this movie, so I think he should be recognized as one. If that means someone else doesn't get nominated, that just means that they weren't bad enough!
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 2:27pm
Except for me. If we keep getting new RAZZIE contenders like we had in January or March, then we're going to need to make a lot of room for all of them. Especially because there are upwards of 8 films each in July and August that have at least a 50/50 chance of getting panned by critics and added to our contnders list. In which case, a joint Worst Actor nomination would be too much to ask of me. I would instead support just one nomination for Worst Couple, Triple, Quartet, or Medley for Will and Jaden as a duo. 

Originally posted by oiram

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2013 at 7:24pm
With all the possibilities for Worst Actor Nominees and Worst Supporting Actor Nominees that have already been mentioned on this thread, I think I should quote Head Razz: "We can't Razz everything, the show would be five weeks long"!
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down
Berry Important MODERATOR

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2013 at 7:24am
INTERESTING UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Just came across an article in the trade paper Hollywood Reporter that looks at the impact of this film's utter financial failure on Sony/Columbia, director M. Night Shyamalan and star Will Smith (whom the Reporter says "used to be considered Hollywood royalty). It makes for interesting, and also sobering, reading.

Here's the LINK to read the entire article...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Pixelledust View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pixelledust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 2:56pm
After Earth...After Birth, same bloody mess.  Is there something Freudian about casting his son?
Pixelle Dust
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2013 at 2:58pm
Welcome, ma'am.  :)  

It's not very often we get a female member! 

Originally posted by Pixelledust

After Earth...After Birth, same bloody mess.  Is there something Freudian about casting his son?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2013 at 1:17pm
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: The July 31, 2013 online edition of Hollywood Reporter (arguably "Tinsel Town's Home Town Paper") has an article on the impact of AFTER EARTH's "underperformance" (read: bombing at the box office) on the bottom line of the studio's parent company. Apparently, the losses from this one film are significant enough that they're being used by one member of Sony's Board of Directors as an argument for Sony to divest itself of Columbia Pictures!  

Here's the LINK to read their entire article...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 10:20am
I saw this yesterday and it's so bad I'm just now getting over it. I'll have a review of this ready after Horror Movie Month is done. To tide you over, here's my grade and what this should be nominated for.

Grade: F
Worst Picture
Worst Director
Worst Actor for Jaden Smith
Worst Supporting Actor for Will Smith
Worst Screenplay
Worst Screen Couple for Will and Jaden Smith
Worst Screen Ensemble
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Winter's Tale
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 5:58pm
Time to review the worst movie of the year that's actually reviewable.  This is one of the most baffling attempts at a blockbuster I've ever seen. All the pieces to make a good blockbuster (an after-the-end sci-fi theme, a father and son story, Will Smith) are here, but they're botched so horribly that the film is completely unwatchable.

James Newton Howard's score is the best part of the film, but, then again, the last time his score wasn't the best part of a Shyamalan film occurred when Bill Clinton was still in office! And I'll admit that the special effects for the ursa was good. The same can't be said for the other special effects in the film.

One of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes in the movie is the dream that Kitai* has on the raft. The dream involves his dead sister, Senshi. The comedy highlight comes at the end when Senshi suddenly starts looking she does after the ursa kills her. It's so ineptly directed that it looks hilarious. The make-up on Senshi to make it look like she was mauled is hilarious too.

The non-ursa special effects are some of the worst I've ever seen. The effects in this movie are so bad, that they would have been laughed at if they came out when the first Bush was in office!! The eagle in articular is awful. The fact that this cost $130 million is baffling. Not as baffling as Grown Ups 2 costing $80 million, but still baffling. M. Night Shyamalan's directing is awful, but you didn't need to hear me say that to know it. The script is horrible too, but you could have guessed that too. The script takes several interesting concepts and not only does it do jack-all with them, but what it does do is handled horribly. There's a mention that the humans had to do battle with the ursas in the past. That could have been an awesome space action movie. Give that concept to James Cameron and you've got a kick ass sci-fi blockbuster. Instead, the film is set after it happened. The father and son aspect could have been neat, especially since Jaden and Will Smith played well against each other in The Pursuit Of Happyness. Instead, the film keeps them apart for most of the running-time. The worst performance comes from Jaden Smith, who has no charisma whatsoever without his dad on-screen to back him up. He sucked in The Karate Kid and he sucked in The Day The Earth Stood Still. The fact that he has the most screen-time makes his failing more obvious. But I really can't blame him too badly since his dad is the main reason he has so much screen-time. Will Smith isn't just awful in this movie, he's excruciatingly awful. The accent that he uses might be the single worst thing in the movie. It sounds fake and stupid and effectively masks all charisma that Will Smith possesses. He showed more charisma in his three-minute cameo in Anchorman 2 than he does during the entire running-time of this film.

I have a very good feeling that this will win Worst Picture. I know that Shyamalan is almost guaranteed a new Worst Director trophy.

My grade: F

Next-up: Safe Haven!!!

*I should mention, the characters in this film have hilariously awful names.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 6:24pm
Which one is the worst movie that can't be reviewed? And why can't it be reviewed?
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

the worst movie of the year that's actually reviewable.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2013 at 6:34pm
When I post my worst of the year list in the coming weeks, you'll know. As for why I'm not reviewing them, they're too boring to review.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2014 at 1:51pm
Based on the number of views of the various threads, I take it most members are considering this movie for worst of the year over Movie 43, or any of the other nominees (The Lone Ranger, Grown Ups 2 and A Madea Christmas).  

Just to be clear, when looking at worldwide box office receipts rather than just domestic, After Earth would have come close to breaking even.  That's using the rule of thumb that a movie needs to make twice its budget at the box office to break even.  Other money streams on top of that should eke out a profit, which is far better than what can be said for The Lone Ranger.   Grown Ups 2, A Madea Christmas (budget $25 mil according to Wikipedia) and Movie 43 were far more profitable comparing the worldwide box office receipts to twice the budget.

So, that person on the Sony board of directors using After Earth as an excuse to spin off Sony Pictures is someone to watch very carefully. . . .

Bookworm View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bookworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:51pm
If we judged movies by their profits then every one of the Twilight movies would have been up for Oscars and not Golden Raspberries.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 8:32am
Bookworm, box office results don't equal quality. However, they're considered to be a small factor in deciding what should be nominated for a Razzie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>