Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > Jack-Ass Presents BAD GRANDPA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of BAD GRANDPA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of BAD GRANDPA
    Posted: October 21 2013 at 9:50am

GIVEN THAT WE'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE to SIT THROUGH EVEN a SINGLE HALF-HOUR EPISODE of the TV SERIES JACKASS, WE CERTAINLY DON'T EXPECT to BE ABLE to SUBJECT OURSELVES to THIS FEATURE LENGTH ITERATION...  

CENTERED ON JACKASS "GANG-LEADER" JOHNNY KNOXVILLE (IN EXTREME MAKE-UP) as a BAD-ASS GRANDPA WHO EXPOSES HIS GRANDSON to ALL KINDS of BAD INFLUENCES and WORSE HABITS, BAD GRANDPA STRIKES US AS BEING UNLIKELY to PRODUCE MORE THAN a COUPLE of CHUCKLES -- and PROBABLY NOT ONE SINGLE GUFFAW.

BUT "HUMOR" IS SUBJECTIVE, SO WE INVITE YOU to EITHER DISAGREE (or AGREE) WITH OUR ASSESSMENT of THIS LATEST OFFERING from the "WINNERS" of OUR 2002 SPECIAL CATEGORY, MOST FLATULENT TEEN-TARGETED MOVIE...  

TO OFFER YOU MORE LAUGHS THAN the MOVIE IS LIKELY TO (ONE AT LEAST!) HERE's the LINK to OUR FOTO FUNNY on THIS FILM...

...and to ADD GRIST to YER GRIPES, HERE's the LINK for OUR FORUM INFO PAGE ON IT (FEATURING REVIEWS, PROMOs, CREDITS and GROSSES)...  

GENTLEMEN (and GENTLE LADIES!)...

START YER SHOPPING CARTS!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 10:21am
I'm surprised that there is no mention of Borat in the description. Basically, that's almost the same formula.

This would probably be under Worst Remake or Rip-off.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:11am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: There was "no mention of BORAT" in my description because I actually thought BORAT was funny (and I was hardly alone in that opinion - B.O. MoJo LINK). 

But I have never found anything Knoxville has done even faintly amusing -- let alone watchable. His THE RINGER (in which he both turned his "humor" on the mentally diminished and used actually afflicted people as extras) was so offensive I turned it off and deleted it from my DVR after less than 10 minutes...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:20am
This is probably going to piss off a bunch of guys who post here, but why is it that "stupid humor" (like Knoxville has made a career out of doing) appeals almost entirely to teen-aged males? 

I was also distressed to note that one of the postings of the trailer for Bad Grandpa on YouTube actually has over 17.6 MILLION views -- Unless that's one million dumb-ass teen-aged boys watching it 17+ times apiece, this suggests Bad Grandpa will probably make sh*t-loads of money....regardless of what critics (and posters to this Forum) may say about it... 

P.S. Oiram -- Why would anyone suggest Borat and Bad Grandpa are "almost the [same] formula"?? 

I enjoy a good movie, but if it's the right one, I LOVE a BAD MOVIE!

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:28am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Obviously, I agree with BlackRose about BORAT (and Oiram's odd comparison of it to this film). Not sure if it's significant or not (or has any social implications) but I'm afraid I also agree with her about the appeal of "dip-sh*t" humor to teen-aged males... ** 

Any comments??  

** TO CLARIFY: I'm not suggesting all teen-aged males find "dip-sh*t" humor funny, but rather that about 93% of all people who do find it amusing seem to be (for whatever reason) younger males... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:41am
Being younger and male myself, I am more intrigued than offended by BlackRose's thesis about the supposed appeal of Jackass-type crap to my "demographic." 

I am proud to say that I have never found Knoxville (nor anything he's ever "created") to be funny, yet I do find the similarly "dim-witted" old British series Benny Hill hilarious. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I know watching Benny Hill that the "gongs-to-the-groin" are faked, while with Jackass, I know they're real (and genuinely painful to the participants) and I have never found human pain and suffering (no matter how dense the injured party is) a source of laughter... 

oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:49am
It's "almost the same formula" because it is a man dressing up in a disguise, going around to various towns, and doing odd things in order to get reactions out of people who do not know they are being filmed.  

I said "almost" because they obviously have different goals in mind, but have some basic similarities. 

HeadRazz: When I was talking about Borat, I was hoping you would understand the comment as "Knoxville is ripping off Borat, but obviously did not get what made Borat funny."  

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 11:58am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Okay, Oiram, I am now less concerned about your observational skills...though I am still not clear: Did you yourself find BORAT funny?? 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 12:00pm
Yes, I did find Borat funny.

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 1:19pm
MTV (the same channel that gave us Jersey Shore and the Teen Mom show) have been pushing this movie's promos down our throats ever since the VMAS. This channel has been the "teen" channel for some time and I find it no accident that MTV has been promoting Bad Grandpa like Crazy. Sure, the film might make some money but I don't feel like it will get Twilight numbers.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 1:52pm
I was also going to mention BORAT. That's actually why I'm looking forward to this. When I reviewed the franchise, I said that the hidden camera pranks were the funniest parts of the JACKASS movies. Now, I'm sure this won't have deep social satire, but I don't think it'll be "one of ours". Specially because reviews for the original trilogy weren't bad at all.
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

His THE RINGER (in which he both turned his "humor" on the mentally diminished and used actually afflicted people as extras) was so offensive I turned it off and deleted it from my DVR after less than 10 minutes...

Oh, that's why he was on the ballots for Worst Actor (and for 2 other movies).

I'd like to point out that he didn't write that movie. In fact, it was produced by the Farrelly brothers, who usually cast handicapped people.

Originally posted by moviecritic1994

MTV (the same channel that gave us Jersey Shore and the Teen Mom show) have been pushing this movie's promos down our throats ever since the VMAS. This channel has been the "teen" channel for some time and I find it no accident that MTV has been promoting Bad Grandpa like Crazy.

MTV has to promote it. It was the channel that aired the series and its spin-offs. Plus, MTV Films produced this movie.

Say what you want about the franchise, but it's not on the same level as those reality shows you mentioned.

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 1:59pm
In an odd twist, it's winning 4-0 at Rotten Tomatoes. Like the other Jacka** films, it's going to be above the 40% (C-) threshold, but unlike others, this might actually get in the A range (80% and above) from critics! I should've expected this, being a Jacka** film and seeing how the series has actually gotten progressively better reviews. Luckily, next week we'll have three possible contenders to make up for these past 5-some-odd days. I knew, going into this month, not many films would get below a C-, and that November and December would be better sources of RAZZberry harvests.

All I can be sure of is that the counterpoint of Borat, which was Cultural Learnings of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan was too funny to be compared to the Jacka** series, and made my Top 40 Films of '006, and The Ringer was #26 on the Bottom 40 Films of '005.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Ags 8; TMNT '014. Ags 13; Let's Be Cops. Ags 15; The Giver, The Expendables 3. Ags 29; Jessabelle
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 2:13pm
By the way, I hate those reality shows. I was glad when Jersey Shore got cancelled and we finally got the smell of stupid out of television.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 3:04pm
I saw only one episode of JERSEY SHORE and of TEEN MOM. It was enough. Nowadays, the only reality I watch is JOAN & MELISSA, because even when it looks scripted, it's still very funny.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 3:29pm
Joan Rivers is a walking Reality series, does she even need a camera following her?
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2013 at 5:24pm
I don't know if I should mention this, but my girlfriend is a fan of Jackass... and she's a math major.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>