Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > BEST MAN HOLIDAY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Members' Discussion of BEST MAN HOLIDAY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum Members' Discussion of BEST MAN HOLIDAY
    Posted: November 07 2013 at 8:38am

WHAT MADE US THINK THIS WAS a LOGICAL CHOICE as OUR LEAST ORIGINAL MOVIE of the WEAK PICK? 

IT's YET ANOTHER "FAUX TYLER PERRY MOVIE" (NOT UNLIKE the RECENT BAGGAGE CLAIM)... 

IT's ALSO a SEQUEL with NO REASON to EXIST (THE FIRST BEST MAN CAME OUT WAY BACK in 1999!)...

...and IT's from the DIRECTOR of ONE of OUR 2013 WORST PICTURE FRONT-RUNNERS, SCARY MOVIE V...

SO THERE!  

SEEKING MORE FODDER BEFORE YOU POST? 

HERE's the LINK to OUR FORUM INFO PAGE on THIS FILM...

...and HERE's the LINK to OUR HOLIDAY-THEMED FOTO FUNNY for IT.

NOW IT's TIME to GET OUT YER CARVING KNIVES...
and DISCUSS!

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 8:54am
Let's not forget this is also the fourth movie Terrence Howard can be nominated for as Worst Supporting Actor. The others are Dead Man Down, Winnie Mandela, and, of course, Movie 43. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 8:55am
Ummm... I've never even heard of THE BEST MAN. And this sequel's title doesn't make much sense. What does it even mean?

The 1st BEST MAN actually got good reviews. And so did UNDERCOVER BROTHER. So maybe SCARY MOVIE V sucked mostly because of the script writers and not Malcolm D. Lee (not that he's guilt-free either).

Coincidentally (maybe not), the cast includes Regina Hall, who was smart enough to pass on SMV. There's also Morris Chestnut (THE CALL; KICK-ASS PART 2; IDENTITY THIEF), Harold Perrineau (SNITCH) and John Michael Higgins (RAPTURE-PALOOZA). By the way, seeing Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan's names in the cast reminds me of how happy I was when 2 of the worst modern spin-offs ended: PRIVATE PRACTICE and THE CLEVELAND SHOW (nominated for the Vits Awards for Worst TV Series and Worst Animated TV Series). 

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 8:56am
Vits: Wasn't Nia Long also briefly part of the The Cleveland Show cast?  

I also have a question: How exactly is it a "faux Tyler Perry movie" if it's a sequel to a movie that was made before Tyler Perry even started working?
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 10:06am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Yes, the original BEST MAN did come out in 1999 -- But this sequel (coming almost 15 years after the previous film) is clearly hoping to appeal to the same film-goers (and make use of the same formulas) that have made Perry's movies successful. Thus the "faux Tyler Perry movie" reference above...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 12:38pm
At first, I thought this would get an F from critics like Malcolm D Lee's second latest film Scary Movie 5. Then I saw that The Best Man got a B on Rotten Tomatoes, and thought this would get maybe a C.

...Then I remembered that Malcolm D Lee's directorial talent could be weathered away, and now I'm predicting this will get around the same review score as Baggage Claim, the previous Tyler Perry esque dramedy. Undercover Brother was made way back in 2002, and since then, Lee's films have gotten progressively lower approval ratings.

To Vits: It seems you people really want Rapture-Palooza RAZZed... even though it lost against The Internship for Worst New Film of the Week back on June 7. Do you think it stands much of a chance at making the recommendations ballot, let alone the final five, for any categories? Do you think, if I were to write up an unofficial forum, it would help the campaign for its RAZZing?

Oh, and Snitch has a whopping 56% approval rating! That's a C+. Do very many of you honestly want it RAZZed?

The Cleveland Show, like American Dad and Bob's Burgers, use similar graphic design to Family Guy. Are all three of them the result of Family Guy's more talented ex-writers splitting off to make their own shows? I think it's an important factor because whenever such a show is made, Family Guy is worse because Family Guy can't be nearly as good without that lost talent.
My deadlines for Member-Started Forums, given 35% approval rating or less: Apl. 29; The Other Woman. May 6; Walk of Shame. May 20; Godzilla '014. May 27; Blended. Jne. 3; A Million Ways...
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 2:01pm
Just to clarify: What does a "faux-Tyler Perry movie" consists of? A romantic comedy with an  nsemble cast that's mostly black?
Originally posted by oiram

Vits: Wasn't Nia Long also briefly part of the The Cleveland Show cast?
Oh, right. I guess "briefly" is the key word.
Originally posted by GTAHater767

To Vits: It seems you people really want Rapture-Palooza RAZZed... even though it lost against The Internship for Worst New Film of the Week back on June 7. Do you think it stands much of a chance at making the recommendations ballot, let alone the final five, for any categories? Do you think, if I were to write up an unofficial forum, it would help the campaign for its RAZZing?

Oh, and Snitch has a whopping 56% approval rating! That's a C+. Do very many of you honestly want it RAZZed?
I haven't seen those movies. I mentioned them because I checked all of the main actors' IMDB profiles and wrote the ones with more bad movies this year. SNITCH's reviews are only mixed, but while that's not enough for Worst Picture, a rotten rating is enough for a conjoined acting nomination. And RAPTURE-PALOOZA's reviews are terrible, which is more important on whether it got a forum or not (it didn't because it was a limited release, and because THE INTERNSHIP looked bad as well (and it is)).

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2013 at 3:56pm
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I would argue that the earmarks of a "faux Tyler Perry movie" include not merely the director and cast being Black, but the basic premise of the film (as well as its execution) being about on the level of a Lifetime cable movie. From what I've seen of his work (I admit, I haven't seen all of it, but enough to say this) Perry has basically hit upon the formula of making middlebrow, mostly harmless farces aimed at an African-American audience...and beaten it into the ground. Movie studios other than Lion's Gate (who release his films) have noticed that these movies cost next to nothing to make and average about $50 million apiece at the US Box Office (MoJo LINK). Seeing a way to make a quick, easy buck, those other studios are now scrambling in hopes of duplicating Perry's berry successful formula. 

As I am fond of saying in such situations, imitation is the sincerest form of flatulence... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2013 at 12:51pm
Well, whadda you know?! To coincide with the release of this movie, Terrence Howard is blaming Robert Downey Jr. for getting fired from IRON-MAN PART 2.

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 7:13am
UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: Every now and then, everyone in the Industry calls one wrong...and with BEST MAN HOLIDAY doing well with both critics (R.T. LINK) and audiences (The L.A. Times reports that opening weekend audiences gave the film a rare A+ CinemaScore rating, and the fact that it topped $30 million at the box office - MoJo LINK) it looks like ts is a prime example

We do not, however, subscribe to the notion being promoted in an article in today's L.A. Times claiming that underestimation of this film prior to its release reveals Hollywood's "racism" when it comes to films with largely Black casts. What it does reveal is that when it comes to what American audiences (and especially "niche" audiences) will go for, nobody knows nothin'... 

Since it was only pre-screened for critics at the last minute, it seemed reasonable to compare BEST MAN HOLIDAY's prospects to those of September's similarly-themed (and similarly promoted) BAGGAGE CLAIM (Forum LINK) which got a piddly 15% R.T. Rating and which, in its entire run, collected only $21 million (MoJo LINK) -- only 2/3 of what BEST MAN HOLIDAY raked in in its first 3 days. The unfortunate truth revealed here is not that Tinsel Town is "racist," but that modern Hollywood not only "green-lights" projects based on how previous/similar material has done in the past, but that Industry "prognosticators" also base their predictions on past performance of "similar" product. We're not necessarily endorsing this practice, we're just saying...  

For those curious to read the Times piece on what BEST MAN HOLIDAY's status as a "surprise hit" means, here's the LINK to read the entire article... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2013 at 7:40am
Surprise, surprise. A third movie is in the works: LINK.

Post Reply Post Reply